Sports Lime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports Lime

Hello everyone . I am a newbie here gathering material to build the 42" Pompeii , finally found some firebricks locally to a decent price $1.50. I have a question to the forum . I have a hard time finding masonry hydrate lime . but I found sports lime at ACE. can I use this instead in mine mortar mix.

Hi,

Hydrated lime is produced all over the world for many industries like steel works; paper industry and agriculture amongst many others. You can go directly to the manufacturer, Here is one of the hydrated lime producers which i think is in Florida, http://www.carmeusena.com/products give them a ring and ask, it will be far cheaper than going to home depot or similar stores.

Here in Norway, I can buy a 1 ton sack, or 20kg bags directly from the manufacturer. A one ton bag is about 250 US dollars, thats 50 20kg sacks.
    Last edited by crisp; 09-30-2016, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Sports Lime and Agriculture Lime are finely crushed Limestone. Hydrated Lime is limestone that has been heated to about 1700 degrees for 24 hours, then rehydrated to make lime putty, and then dried out to make a powder. If the specification does not mention "Hydrated" it is not appropriate for the home brew.
      The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Originally posted by dakzaag View Post
        Sports Lime and Agriculture Lime are finely crushed Limestone. Hydrated Lime is limestone that has been heated to about 1700 degrees for 24 hours, then rehydrated to make lime putty, and then dried out to make a powder. If the specification does not mention "Hydrated" it is not appropriate for the home brew.
        There is nothing wrong with adding crushed limestone just to improve the fattiness/workability of a mortar, but this will only be a part of the aggregate NOT the binder. Burned/ calcined lime is a totally different beast as dakzaag says because once it is calcined it can be regarded as a binder. Before cement was first patented in 1824 the majority of mortars were made from burned/calcined limestone. Simply there was no cement before 1824
        I wrote this in another thread hope this helps;
        Hi Julian,

There are many different types of lime, but because all are referred to as "lime" it all becomes a little confusing.

I'm not sure of this product you mention, but lime for the garden is basically calcium carbonate (limestone) which is today normally crushed to a powder, it is normally not burned "calcined". If you are using a cement based mortar, this type of lime will become part of the aggregate and improve workability, but only the cement will be the binder, theres nothing wrong using this as purely a plasticiser, but think of this only as part of the aggregate.

Hydrated lime (normally sold as builders lime) is where limestone is burned "calcined" in a kiln to produce quicklime, which is then "dry slaked" (not slaked to a putty) with the right amount of water and then normally crushed to a powder (Builders lime) which can be used as a binder or to enhance workability. This also will improve plasticity in the cement mix but will also become partly a binder alongside the cement, because it hardens through carbonation (intake of co2 air)

Hydraulic lime is a binder and will harden both by carbonation, and a chemical set in the presence of water (similar to cement). A hydraulic lime will harden chemically under water without air similar to a cement. Whereas a pure hydrated lime builders lime needs air co2 to harden. There are different strengths of hydraulic lime which all can be used without cement added if preferred, it is normally more expensive than hydrated lime, but in my opinion don't need to add cement which is an added cost.

Answer to your question; If you want to use this garden lime to improve fattiness/workability to your mix that's fine, but I wouldn't use it alone as it is not a binder.

Chris
        Last edited by crisp; 09-30-2016, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much Crisp and dakzaag for the knowledge and education . I did find places that used to carry hydrate and even hydraulic lime (the last one is kind of expensive almost the same or more than the original refractory mortar) , but most of them are back order. I will continue until I find the right stuff. got today a 50lb of fire clay Cedar Heights and a 50 lb of Harbison Walker International refractory. making progress.

Comment

Working...
          X