New to this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this

Hi was just wondering if anyone had mad a pizza oven straight onto concrete or do you need to build foundation

That is a bit of a vague question. There are people who have done it both ways. Some of the factors are what are your soil conditions, do you get frost, how thick is the slab and does it have rebar? If you do a light build with a metal stand then you can probably get away with most anything. If you want an enclosure covered in stone it might weigh 20,000# or more. It all depends.

Randy

Comment

Thanks for the reply randy it is a concrete back yard so not thinking of doing it on a slab we do get frost in winter very common as for soil below the concrete im not sure

Comment

First of all, welcome to the membership Ryan! I believe what Randy is trying to establish is whether or not your existing back yard concrete is "strong enough" to support what can be a heavy oven unit. It would be helpful to everyone if you could tell us what you are thinking about in terms of intended use...i.e.. Do you just want an occasional pizza or two? Are you thinking of having pizza parties or making bread for the neighborhood? Are you going to be able to get and store wood for the oven (size and use are important here too).

Making some initial guesses on the type and size of the oven that will suit your needs will go a long way towards folks on the forum helping out. As Randy noted, the variety and size range for a masonry oven is quite extensive. A 21" (54 cm) inside diameter pizza oven is going to be a lot less expensive to build and weigh a lot less than a 39" (1 meter) inside diameter. If your existing concrete back yard slab isn't very thick or rebar reinforced, it may crack (more ) and sag/slide.

If you haven't already, it is highly recommended to start reading through the well documented builds in the Newbie Forum (2nd sticky thread...A Newbie's survey of treasures...).

Good luck and we're all looking forward to your progress and answering the specific questions you will have after reading some of the build threads.
        Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
        Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
        Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
        Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes Sable Springs is correct. I am trying to figure out how strong your slab might be. You would be better off if you did not have frost. As frost heave can give you all sorts of problems. Certain soil types are more likely to give you problems with frost heave like clay because it traps more water.

do you have any idea how big of a oven you want to build? You should consider how easily you can source hard wood. I have a 40" oven and I can go through a wheel barrow full of wood to come up to temp and make pizza. The smaller the oven the less wood you will use the bigger the more wood you will use.

do you know if you want to do a igloo style oven or a enclosed one. I know a few people have he trouble with water on a igloo oven.

if you want a enclosed oven like I did for mine then you will probably want to cut a chunk out your slab and poor a nest foundation of some sort. My best guess is my oven is somewhere around 20,000#. My base slab is 12" thick around the edge and 6" in the middle, and has a grid of rebar 8" on center. I look forward to seeing what you have in mind.

Randy

Comment

Working...
          X