Casa2G90 deeper Landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casa2G90 deeper Landing

We are designing our housing for our Casa2G90, we would like to make a quaint brick housing around it with roof overhang.I am just wondering if it is possible, and if yes any pros/cons to increase the depth of the landing, making it deeper maybe by one brick length? (see attached picture)
    Thank you, I appreciate it
    Brotalex
    Attached Files

You don't give your reasons for wanting to make it deeper, but there are some drawbacks. The deeper you make it the harder it is to work the oven, also requiring tools with longer handles.Another disadvantage is that the extra mass of deeper entry means a bigger heat sink drawing heat away from the oven proper. Needless to say, I'm a fan of a shallow, light entry, but there are many ways to reach a workable design. It's like boat design many pros and cons for each variation.
    Last edited by david s; 02-28-2017, 03:54 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks DavidS We like the looks better and thought the look we would like to accomplish the landing needs to be deeper? Did you see the pictures I attached, so I don't know if it is possible to have the looks with a Casa2 G 90. Just to be clear I mean the tunnel from the door to the outside hearth.

Comment

Sure, if you like the look of a deep tunnel and you are more interested in looking at the oven rather than cooking efficiently, then create your deep tunnel. I'm more of a devotee of form following function so would tend to go the other way and make it as shallow as possible. You may not understand this fully until you begin cooking in it.
        Last edited by david s; 02-28-2017, 10:27 PM.

Comment

that is why I asked, thanks- I am all for practicality

Comment

Brotalex,

I do respect David's opinions. He is invaluable to this forum. But, you did ask for pros and cons. I like a brick and a half depth entry. As long as it has a wide reveal which is shown in your pic #2. Having a large reveal allows you the the angle to work the sides of the oven when the depth of the oven is deeper. I consider the extra depth as a staging area. I guess it boils down to what your main purpose is for the oven. I'm sure the shallow entry works great for those trying to put out umpteen dozen pizzas per hour. For those of us that are a little more laid back and use our ovens for the weekly bread, the weekend roast, and the occasional pizza, the oven will suit you just fine with an 8" longer handle on your peel. It is up to you to decide what your main use for the oven will be.
            Last edited by Gulf; 02-28-2017, 07:38 PM.
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Here's an extreme example of what Gulf means about a big reveal. The reveal being so big it's completely out of the way. It's the large oven at the bakery in Pompeii

320 × 240 - pompeii.co.uk
              Last edited by david s; 03-01-2017, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Gulf thank you, yes we are intending to use our oven exactly for that, very laid back the weekly bread, and weekend pizzas I would not mind at all to use a longer peel & tools. I just wanted to make sure when we design our housing for the casa 2 g90 and would go with a deeper landing, that we are not compromising its proper function, and of course we wanted it to look nice and quaint, since it will be a focal point on our patio. Thank you, I really appreciate all of your advice. Brotalex

Comment

Working...
                X