Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fiber cement board for entire structure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fiber cement board for entire structure?

Hi all- have recently moved to india to help a friend renovate his old farmhouse. They have lots of random materials left over from a barn collapse- in them I found brick and what look to be fiber cement doors attached to a wood frame. I've wanted to build an outdoor oven for a while now and this is the perfect place! I've done some research online and while it seems like fiber cement is a good idea for the floor of the oven, is it something I can use to make the entire main structure and then add a brick dome on top and cement the whole thing? Can also add bricks to the sides if extra heat retention is needed.

Any help appreciated! Am excited to experiment with this project.

Thanks!

Can you post some pics so we can get a visual on the materials.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Sorry for the quality of the photos... they're the best I can do. Hopefully you get a sense of the materials. The fiber cement board is 1/2" thick, wood frame 1 1/4" thick. Size is 41.75 x 20.5. Bricks are laid out on top just to see- internal width is 14". Too small? Not looking to make too much food!

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

From the pictures, what you call fiber cement board looks like what we would call durarock or handibacker. This type of board is "NOT" a refractory product but more of a structural board for tile, masonry or stucco applications. Cement board will fail with cooking heats. You probably need to find another use for the fiber board. The bricks appear to be solid clay, although not the best refractory wise, several UK builder have used them with success. David S on this forum does small cast ovens, look at his post for small ovens. A mix of perlite or vermuculite/concrete is inexpensive for insulation under floor bricks and over the brick dome.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi Russel! Thanks for the quick response. I called it fiber cement board because on one of the pieces it says "fiber cemen.... contains no...." The words get chopped off. I assumed fiber cement board, contains no asbestos and got excited. Maybe will turn it into a compost bin instead.

Not sure about finding vermiculite... will regular cement work? Or...

I will check out David S.'s posts.

Thanks for the support and help!

Comment

Working...
          X