Mussels With Chorizo and Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mussels With Chorizo and Beer

From the Community Cookbook: Forno Bravo Community Cookbook - Mussels With Chorizo and Beer

2 T extra virgin olive oil
    8 oz Mexican-style chorizo
    1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
    1/2 bell pepper, sliced
    1/2 jalapeno, or to taste, thinly sliced into rounds
    2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    12 oz beer, preferably a lager (I used Dos Equis)
    15 oz whole peeled canned tomatoes
    5 lbs PEI or other mussels
    Salt and black pepper, to taste

Place the olive oil in a large skillet in your wood oven or on the stove over medium-high heat. Once it starts to smoke, add the chorizo and brown it off, using a wooden spoon to break up the meat as it cooks.

Once the chorizo is broken up and caramelized, add the onion and bell pepper, season with salt and pepper, and allow the vegetables to sweat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the jalapeno and garlic and cook the mixture for 3 minutes more. Add the beer and stir well to dislodge any delicious caramelized goodness from the bottom of the skillet. Bring the mixture to a boil and allow the beer to reduce by three-quarters.

While the beer is reducing, open the can of tomatoes, pour them into a bowl and use your hand to crush the tomatoes into little bits. You can just use diced canned tomatoes, but something about those big uniform chunks of canned tomato is just off-putting to me. So I prefer this method. Add the tomato to the skillet, re-season to taste, and allow the mixture to simmer gently for at least 15 minutes, until the flavors have all come together and the tomato liquid has reduced somewhat.

While your sauce is cooking, clean your mussels. If you haven?t cleaned mussels before, a quick primer: Place the mussels in a bowl of clean, cool water. As the mussels sit in the water they will filter out some of the sand and grit in their systems and leave it on the bottom of the bowl instead of in your teeth later. Use a brush to scrub the shells to dislodge any other dirt or barnacles that will come off and muddy up your final dish. Some of the mussels will have hairy fibers sticking out of one side of their shells. This is called the beard. Use your fingers or tweezers to pull these off by tugging them outward from the side of the shell. If a mussel is open, give it a squeeze or tap it on the edge of the counter. If it doesn?t close back up, throw it away. Same goes for any cracked or broken mussels.

Once your mussels are all clean, preheat a large roasting pan in your wood oven. Your oven should be very hot ? pizza hot. Add the mussels to the dry pan and then pour the chorizo sauce over the top. Slide the mussels back into the oven and allow to cook just until the mussels open, rotating the pan once. If your oven is hot enough, this could happen in as little as 1-2 minutes. It won?t take any more than 5.

Remove from the oven, serve immediately with some crusty bread, and be happy.

Re: Mussels With Chorizo and Beer

I can't wait to try this one out when the oven is done.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

It sounds delicious. Would love to try this recipee for sure! I don't know if Walley World imports mussells. I wonder if Budweiser and oysters would work . Seriously, it reads like a great dish. Thank's and keep the recipees coming.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I've had similar with white wine, but the beer is genius.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

I just got a new Primavera 60 and can't wait to try this! I made a pizza from a very similar recipe recently on Pizza Quest, but with clams. If you made the sauce ahead and made extra, you could use part of it for the muscles and then reduce the rest and use it as a sauce!

Redondo Marinara Pizza with Clams

I've only given my oven a test drive so far making 2 pizzas to test it out. I'll definitely be adding this to the list. Seems like a great appetizer before making pizzas!

Comment

Sounds delicious! Only thing is (and not a bad one), no one else in the family likes seafood, only me!
            Where can I find logs? I need more!
            Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
            X