Tonight's bake: Caputo VS King Arthur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonight's bake: Caputo VS King Arthur

This is mainly so TexasSourdough can critique my technique, but also as a comparison of Caputo and King Arthur Bread flour. As a rule, my goal is not to cook a Neapolitan style pie, I am more New York/Cali than anything else. I am not a fan of burnt dough, but can appreciate the fine line between bubble-char and actual burned.

At any rate, here are the two doughs that I made last night/today:

First the KABF, my standard mix with the addition of cilantro and paprika:

620G KABF
    200G Semolina
    670G water
    1/4oz ADY
    1 Tbsp sea salt
    1 Tbsp sugar
    1 Tbsp paprika
    1 Tbsp cilantro

Water, yeast and ADY mixed in 100 degree water for 10 minutes, then salt added and hand mixed for around 5 minutes. Covered for an hour doubling, then folded 7 times and divided, balled, and cupped for 24 hour cold ferment.

Re: Tonight's bake: Caputo VS King Arthur

The Caputo dough:

Flour 691g
    Water 514g (414 called for)
    ADY 1/4 oz
    Salt 1 Tbsp

Water, yeast and ADY mixed in 100 degree water for 10 minutes, then salt added and hand mixed for around 5 minutes, just like the KABF. Note that I had to add an extra 100 grams of water than the recipe I was using called for to get a workable dough.

First pic is at end of hand mix, second is a comparison of the two doughs at one hour, right before I balled the KABF. The Caputo will do a room temp rise for 17 hours (as it turns out). Third pic is after 17 hour rise.
    Last edited by Tscarborough; 01-08-2011, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Today, I did the Caputo:

Dumped, Bouled, cut, balled, and cupped. It will get 4 more hours and turn into pizza tonight around 6PM.
      Last edited by Tscarborough; 01-08-2011, 02:45 PM.

Comment

The Caputo is very silky and easy to work. The KABF is too, but not quite as baby-butt smooth.

Comment

Hi TS!

I had noticed your pies tended to be thick and that is certainly consistent with NY style. U will bet in advance that you will prefer the texture of the KABF but...will be interesting!

How have you stored your Caputo? How long have you had it? A lot longer than the KABF? Same storage?

Look forward to the results and your decisions!

I don't usually put semolina in my pizza and I don't typically use sugar but what you are doing is well within reason. Looks fine!

Comment

I buy small bags and store them in the freezer, but both of these were brand new, the Caputo was very fresh according to the date stamp. I cooked 4 of the Caputo and 2 of the KABF before I ran out of steam. It didn't help that I ate the entire first Caputo pie by myself in about 2 minutes. Usually I don't eat any until they are all done, but I wanted to try it hot and fresh. It was very good, light airy rim, but soggy in the middle as expected. I took some pics I will post when I can.

I would not call my pies thick, I use 300g balls for 14" pies, as a rule, the center is usually less than 1/4". They DO have a lot of ingredients, though, if that is what you mean.

Comment

Here are some pics. The Caputo is slightly better flavor-wise, but it is a PIA to cook with, hard to find and expensive. I do not see myself using it as my normal dough, but I certainly won't hesitate to use it if cooking Neo pies for someone that wants them.

I made 2 sauces, a cooked down and a raw one for the Neo pies.

The cooked sauce is:

1 28oz can of HEB whol tomatoes, drained
              1 28oz can of HEB sauce
              3 quarters of paprika peppers
              6 big leaves of fresh basil, shredded
              4 tbsp turbinado sugar
              2 tbsp sea salt
              1 tbsp oregano
              1 tbsp of dried basil
              1 tbsp of coarse black pepper
              1/2 tbpn red pepper flakes
              2 clove flowers, crushed

Cooked on low heat for an hour, then into the freezer for a chill.

The Neo is just Cento DOP San Marzanos, fresh basil, and salt, hit with the stick blender. It tastes brighter, but some of that may be due to the slightly tinny flavor. Not bad, none the less.

1. The sauces.
              2. Fresh moz, a drizzle of Chevre Noir, with diced prosciutto, onion slivers, and sliced paprika peppers. I ate the entire thing by myself (well, I gave the pizza dogs a couple of crumbs).
              3. Crumb
              4. A modified Filleti used: Fresh moz and Chevre Noir with cherry tomatoes, green and white onion, and a few of the Lucques olives. The family finished this one quickly and also commented on the crust.
              5. My favorite, although I only ate one slice (I had another for breakfast). I put fresh moz, Chevre Noir, Amish blue cheese, Lucques olives, paprika peppers, and onion slivers on it, and then scattered sesame seeds over it.
              Last edited by Tscarborough; 01-09-2011, 09:45 AM.

Comment

More:

1. Crumb
                2. Italian sausage and sauteed onions over fresh moz for a neighbor.
                3. Pit pie for another neighbor
                4. Slightly undercooked pit pie for re-heating.

Comment

Hi TS!

The reason I asked about the Caputo was I and a restaurant have had some pretty wild swings in 00 hydration characteristics. In our cases the flour was relatively wet and needed less water. As dry as it has been here this fall in the Hill Country I was suspecting your flour was older and dryer... Sounds like that was wrong!

I think the 00 is fun to work with and I like it for sparse and "dry" pies and traditional Neopolitans but I like bread flour for wetter, heavier pies and for more bite. Given your style I figured you would prefer the bread for most of your pies.

Nice work. I like a hotter dome and a little more top caramalization but...that is simply personal preference!

You made one comment I found interesting in that it seems you cook all your pies before you eat? We usually cook and eat one at a time! I want mine FRESH and HOT!

Bake on!
                  Jay

Comment

No, I cook the pies and everyone else eats them right then. I might sneak in a slice, but I don't eat while cooking as a rule.

Comment

And just in case I haven't posted it before, the pizza dogs:

Comment

Hi TS!

Those dogs look like they are experienced at eating at the pizza oven!

I rarely make more than one pizza of a given kind so I usually snitch a small slice from each pie. But, like you I mainly cook. I don't usually sit down before we are at least half way through when we have groups of more than four (and more than four pizzas). For smaller groups I just cook each pie and eat with the guests and then prep and cook another. But when it is eight or ten...I cook and eat on the run.

What are your dogs favorites? Let's see.... dropped meat of any kind, dropped cheese...bacon....pancetta, and ????

Hang in there!
                        Jay

Comment

Tom,

What characters! Those two pizza dogs look like they're right out of a cartoon!

Comment

They prefer pizza bones (crust).

Comment

No, I cook the pies and everyone else eats them right then. I might sneak in a slice, but I don't eat while cooking as a rule.

That is a familiar theme, I am sure. I need to get one of my boys doing some cooking so I can burn the roof of my mouth.

Comment

Working...
                              X