X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrakeRemoray
    replied
    Re: Gluten Free Pizza Dough?

Thanks Tim, I will give it a try. My Mother thanks you in advance!

Leave a comment:

• Tim F
    replied

Hey guys I know it's an old thread but I've had some success with my GF piza doughs. I'm getting it into the ballpark of a non GF base now. I posted the recipe up on my blog at New Gluten Free Pizza Dough Recipe | Home made pizza - hope it's ok to post the link here?

Leave a comment:

• barbarian
    replied

Farro is similar to spelt.. very low in gluten
    I think it's different but in the us many people say farro is indeed spelt.
    Barley makes a good substitute for cooked farro

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
    When we were travelling in Tuscany we ran into another grain, Farro. I wonder if anyone knows about it's gluten content?

DaLucca, let me know if you find that at whole foods! I might mail order some...

Drake
    Last edited by barbarian; 10-12-2007, 09:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DrakeRemoray
    replied

When we were travelling in Tuscany we ran into another grain, Farro. I wonder if anyone knows about it's gluten content?

DaLucca, let me know if you find that at whole foods! I might mail order some...

Drake

Leave a comment:

• dalucca2003
    replied

A friend of mine just found a link to an interesting gluten free pizza dough. I am going to stop by the local Whole Foods in my area and see if they carry it.

Gillian's Foods Gluten-Free Pizza Dough (Frozen - 0.50 Unit)

Leave a comment:

• barbarian
    replied

A lot of people who are sensitive to gluten can eat spelt without any troubles but this depends on their level of tolerance or sensitivity to gluten
    it is definitely not recommended for those with celiac disease, but most milder cases of intolerance to gluten and wheat you might be able to use it .
    I would say the friend who you are talking about should know whether she can have spelt or not, you should ask ..
    mellowing down quite a bit

a link to the spelt web site just for reference
    Spelt- www.spelt.com
    Last edited by barbarian; 10-11-2007, 08:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DrakeRemoray
    replied

I agree with Jim on this Spelt apears to be on the forbidden list for the gluten intolerant:
    From Celiac.com
    The common list of forbidden grains is: wheat, rye, barley and oats.
    Unfortunately, there are variants out there that go by other names. Durum and semolina are names for certain kinds of wheat that have been bred for specific uses. Both spelt and kamut are versions of wheat. (Other names for these: spelta, Polish wheat, einkorn and small spelt).

Which grains are safe, which are not?

Leave a comment:

• barbarian
    replied

Buy spelt flour and substitute .. it require just a little more water other than that it's just as good , spelt is still used a lot in many regions of Italy for breads and pizza.
    It is often used as a replacement for gluten sensitive diets.. I bet the whole food dough is made out of spelt , I used to work for a bakery making items for WF market and spelt is what they used for their muffins and breads

Originally posted by dalucca2003 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply.....does seem like a lot of work. A co-worker of mine informed me he believes Whole Foods makes a prepared gluten free dough. Anyone ever try it and see how well it comes out of the pizza oven?
    Last edited by barbarian; 10-11-2007, 03:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

James, All,

Gotta be a bit careful with Spelt. I'm surprised Trader Joe's would sell Spelt products as gluten free. Not so. Spelt grain is the ancestor of modern day wheat. Spelt flour does contain gluten, just a much lesser amount than the flours we use every day. In northern Europe, particularly, it's prized by athletes because of what they say is its endurance advantages. Not sure about that. In any case, I'd be a bit hesitant to give it to someone with severe gluten intolerance.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Dutchoven View Post
    It is a food additive that creates plasticity in such things as gluten free breads....it is also added to salad dressings to stabilize ingredients in suspension...I think it is made through a process of fermentation...oddly enough.
    Dutch
    LOL

Thanks!

that is odd...........

Leave a comment:

• Dutchoven
    replied

It is a food additive that creates plasticity in such things as gluten free breads....it is also added to salad dressings to stabilize ingredients in suspension...I think it is made through a process of fermentation...oddly enough.
    Dutch

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Dutchoven View Post
    that is why the xanthan gum
    Dutch
    I found the recipe, but I sure don't know half of the ingredients..... What the heck is xanthan gum?

Leave a comment:

• Dutchoven
    replied

I will do some checking also...as James says spelt is a good route to follow...as may be soy...the leavening and dough structure is hard...that is why the xanthan gum
    Dutch

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

What about Spelt? Trader Joe's sells gluten-free bakery goods using spelt rather than flour.
    James

Leave a comment:

• DrakeRemoray
    replied

Posting at the same time, I think I bought that mix at whole foods. I have seen raw pizza dough at whole foods, but never gluten free raw pizza dough...
    Drake

Leave a comment:

Working...
X