Dough storage trays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dough storage trays

Sometimes it takes a little time to wake up!
    Several years ago, a close friend of mine bought some stackable trays/boxes from Mitsubishi Motors. We have a vehicle manufacturing plant here in Adelaide where I sourced them but it shut down at the end of March 08 so, no more boxes.
    Well, over the past 3 years, I bought 4 stillages of boxes and have many of these bins/boxes/trays are sitting around being used to organise my, my son's, sons in law workshops and a wrecking yard that I do a little work for, spare parts boxes. I have around 500 there awaiting use.
    Each stillage cost me Au$60 and contain 360 shallow bins or 180 deep ones or a combination of both. The last 3 have stillages have contained only 7 deep boxes, so I have many small ones. OK for around 16c each eh!
    The shallow ones are 13.5" x 10" x 3.5" deep and ideal for proofing.
    I just washed these 3 and will use them tomorrow moring when making my dough for our Mothers Day pizza night.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I was just going to start a thread on this topic and found this thread. I could not find anything on the FB site so I looked at Amazon, etc.

After reading what you guys said about the dough trays being too large, I must admit, I never thought about them fitting in the frig.

I have been to the Container Store before and looked on line. I found these but I will have to go there in person. They have a LOT of containers.

The Container Store > Shop Kitchen > Food Storage > Commercial > Commercial Food Pans

Loren

Comment

Nice find.

I'm going to try these. What size do you think is best? They even fit in the refrigerator.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Here's a another thread on dough storage.

These containers work really well.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/...ners-4028.html
          My thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
          My costs:
          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
          My pics:
          http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Dave, I just purchase 2 of your original find. They have the clear in stock for 9.99.
            Pinellas Park......no wonder they call you redneck Dave, it is not the Texas thing....I live about 20 minutes away in Oldsmar - the first town west of Tampa along Tampa Road in Pinellas County....along the most northern part of Tampa Bay.

RT

Comment

I was thinking of getting the 12" x 10", that should hold 9 dough balls easily. They do not cost much more than the other plastic type containers and are designed to store food. I assume they won't transfer odors through the plastic etc. They are also safe in the freezer.

The only thing about the size is the height, I think 4" may be a bit high?

I called the store and they had two left so they set them aside for me and I will have a look at them tomorrow.

Loren

Comment

Update on the food containers:

I picked them up and they seem very sturdy, very thick plastic. The actual inside dimensions are about 11" x 8 1/2" and a little over 3" tall. 9 dough balls may be pushing it but I won't know until I try them out.

They are made in the USA (Huntington Beach, Ca), you could probably pick them up at a restaurant supply store. I paid $12.99.

Here is a link to the website:

Cambro Manufacturing Company

Loren

Comment

Loren,
                  Keep us up to date -- how is that size working? Can you fit six dough ball? 2 by 3?

James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

6 seems like a good number for that size container. I put 6 Fuji apples in it and it had plenty of room sideways, lengthwise it was a little tight with about a 1/2" to spare between each apple. The apples are 3" in diameter.

I will post back when I try one out but I have some dough in the freezer right now.

Loren

Comment

Folks,

I just wanted to revisit this old thread and let you know I just ordered some new single dough storage tubs with lids. Every time I have visited Costco I have noticed their dough proofing tubs so I finally asked someone who worked in the bakery where they got them.

He said from here: Home - Smith & Greene

So I called and they knew what I was talking about.

Here is the manufacturer: Carlisle Bains Marie

They said Costco uses the 2 quart containers and they look like just what I have been looking for. I have used the rectangle containers and these orange proofing baskets someone else mentioned in another post Empire Bakery Equipment Online Catalog Cant go wrong for $2 for the orange baskets!

You have to order 12 at a time? one dozen with lids cost less than $35 without shipping from Smith and Greene. I'll let you know how I like them once I try them out, they seem quite durable.

Loren

Comment

I just wanted to show you how the dough worked in the storage tubs.

The "American" dough I use worked out very well for the size, they filled the tub about 3/4 full. The Caputo Italian dough used about 1/4 of the tub. I will check to see if they have a one quart tub, that would work out perfect for the Caputo.

I liked the fact that you could just hand someone a tub at and that made it much easier for them to make a pizza. The other thing I liked about these is they each have a lid. The search continues but I have a good selection now.

Here are a couple of pics?

Loren

Comment

Loren, here is that I am using for my dough. Just deli containers..they stack really well.

Comment

Hi Telehort,

Where did you get them and do they have lids? Or is there a manufactures name stamped on the bottom? They look like a very good size for thin crust.

Loren

Comment

Nice balls, Scott!

..........I just had to say that.

I'm surprised by the individual containers. How do you schelp them around without crushing? They are disposable, yes? Hmmm..? What am I missing?
                              I use the big, white, stackable dough storage trays.

Comment

Just to add one more facet to this discussion. The VPN guys (Vera Pizza Napoletana) require use of dough trays for certification of VPN status. Dough Pizzaria here in San Antonio recently received certification and replaced their sheet pans with dough trays. The advantage is that the height of the dough tray spaces the trays and gives the dough room to rise whereas sheet trays require saran which "holds" the dough down. I think I am going to experiment with a plastic food box and lid to see if it will reliably keep the dough from forming a skin in our dry air.

Think Pizza!
                                Jay

Comment

Working...
                                X