Dough storage trays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dough storage trays

I think I may have already posted this. This is a nice guy at bay equipment on ebay.
    PIZZA DOUGH STORAGE BOX NEW CASE OF 6 - eBay (item 270443734554 end time Aug-26-09 16:33:48 PDT)

He'll take $50 for the six. They seal perfectly and fit in a regular refrigerator if need be. Generous lip edge for easy carrying.

Comment

Loren - I looked and there is no stamp on them and I forget the manufacturer. I got them at Restaurant Depot in Sac and I think I paid about $40 for 150 bowls and lids. Over the year that I have had them, i have probably lost\broke\who knows what to about a 50 of them so I only have about 100 left. Ideally I would like real dough trays, but the bowls work great and stack well. I can get about 80 in one of my chest coolers.

Comment

You have quite a production line going. I wish I could work with you for a day sometime, I would probably learn more in that day than messing around with my oven for months! I'll keep my eyes out for the bowls.

Comment

Like Telehort, we've been using the individual plastic restaurant take-out containers since last year and they work really well for dough. We didn't buy any, but we save every one when we go out to eat or get take-out. They come in several sizes. The lids are see-thru and quite tight.
          Picasa web album
          Oven-building thread

Comment

how are you guys getting your dough balls not to stick together in trays? I can't seem to make it not happen even if I dust them with flour. I just got some individual bowls/lids to try for my next big batch. I'm not excited about screwing around with so much dishware, but the stuck together doughballs thing is driving me crazy because it makes me have to handle the dough so much more than what I think is idea.

Comment

Hi SplatGirl!

The pros I know have them grow together also and they use a metal dough scraper to "cut" a ball off (the seams between balls remain visible) and to move the "pillow" (for it is no longer a ball) to the bench for shaping (if the bench is loaded with flour) or to a flour bin and then to the bench.

When I use sheet pans I follow the same routine. This is a nice, gentle approach that doesn't degas the dough very much. Hope that helps!
              Jay

Comment

Exactly! I use a plastic scraper because the steel scraper is wider than the dough pillow. Was that you Jay using a wide tapered scraper in a video? I have to try that.
                The trick is to keep it intact as much as possible. You spend a lot of time making tight balls to develop an even structure. If it gets twisted you end up with an uneven skin. The trick is getting the first one out.

Comment

Good point, PP! The first is the hardest - just like a piece of pie, lasagna, or cake!

No, I was not in the video.

I think the scraper approach is probably the best you can do. By pinching down on the side as you cut it you seal gases in rather than "tearing" the dough and stretching and degassing. And you can get under it well so that is good too. Bags do tend to result in removing misshapen balls! (Main reason I bag is it is really dry here most of the time and if I am not really careful I get a dry skin on the dough and that is not good.) I may have to go to a sealable tray.

Thanks
                  Jay

Comment

Thx guys. I guess i just couldn't get my head around why I'd spend all that time shaping the balls beforehand only to end up with one big dough continent in the box or on the tray (I've used both) but that makes perfect sense.
                    The VPN place up the road from me uses a big round circle cutter to portion out a perfectly circular blob immediately before stretching, but I haven't paid enough attention to what the dough portions look like when they're in/out of the boxes. They do seem to pluck them right out of there with no problem, however. And I've always wondered how they handle the scraps.
                    A friend of a friend worked at said place and hopefully she'll come over one of these days. She didn't work the line AFIK, but hopefully she paid enough attention to the pizzaiolos that she'll hold up to my interrogations about how they do their dough.

Comment

Thanks Splatgirl! (Can't wait to learn the origin of that name)

Ya know... That makes sense, at least in theory. Think cutting donuts.
                      The scraps could be used for calzone or bread sticks. Ask politely, cajole or threaten to get those pictures. A short video would be way cool.

Comment

Well, all this talk about dough trays sent me to Ace Mart today to buy some appropriate food trays with tight lids. So now I am ready to try them but I need cooler weather! We are booked for a "dinner club" party in late September so it can't be longer than that!

I will be candid Splatgirl (I agree you MUST share the story of that name - it is priceless and conjures up visions like my first (charred) accidental calzone!

I am intrigued VPN would let anyone get away with a cookie cutter! That doesn't sound right!

Be well!
                        Jay

Comment

These are near perfect dough trays - modeled after the commercial dough trays just in a more residential friendly size of approx 17x12...

DoughMate? - Pizza Dough Management Products - Artisan Dough Trays - Small Dough Tray Model #ADT-148 - Product Trays Lids Pizza Dough Scrapers

Comment

Originally posted by sclancy View Post
                            These are near perfect dough trays - modeled after the commercial dough trays just in a more residential friendly size of approx 17x12...

DoughMate? - Pizza Dough Management Products - Artisan Dough Trays - Small Dough Tray Model #ADT-148 - Product Trays Lids Pizza Dough Scrapers
                            I have these and can say they have been GREAT! The boxes are a perfect fit for the fridge.
                            Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
                            Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
                            Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

i just got a set of 6. they are high quality although a little pricey. they are definitely restaurant quality. they should be good for 6 balls per tray.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                                24 inches wide may be too large for most home refrigerators
                                ...Especially English ones!

Comment

Working...
                                X