X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTflorida
    replied
    Re: Mixers

Regardless of your kneading method (hand, KA, Bosch, or the cheap piece of crap $69 Hamilton Beach I am replacing), heat can be a potential problem...a $12 instant read thermometer will let you know.
    In my case, not a factor...the only dough I will be making will be pizza. Due to dietary issues, I have to limit carb intake so I eat very little bread (unfortunately), seems my body does not process ANY carbs very well. My one splurge is pizza. Don't see how it can overheat, it just isn't mixed for a long enough period of time. Even with the junk mixer I burned up (it hopped across the counter, groaned, locked up) the dough temp was never more than room temp (about 72 degrees).
    So in my case this video, as well as the other general mixing video, were helpful.....A VERY efficient machine. To me it was really the "glowing" reviews and my experience with other Bosch products. Although there are not nearly as many total reviews (probably 1000-1, KA vs. Bosch), I have yet to read a negative review involving poor performance or product failure on the Bosch. To steal a much used phrase from another forum (used to describe commercial Hobart mixers), I think the Bosch is "bomb proof" (at least for home use). I guess I will find out soon enough.

For Archena:
    Universal Plus with free blender
    Slicer/shredder (plus the 2 exra blades)
    Food Processor
    Meat Grinder (plus 3 additional size discs and knifes)
    Whisk assembly for slicer/shredder
    grating attachment for meat grinder
    Thick batter whisks
    Cookie dough paddles
    Pastry press
    Additional Stainless Steel bowl
    Sausage stuffer set for meat grinder

I think that is it.....my invoice lists 18 items

RT

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

I agree that his comparison was pretty poor scientifically. About the only thing you can take from that video is that the Bosch mixes a given quantity of ingredients more efficiently than the kitchen aid. Now the Bosch will heat the dough up more since there is a lot more friction resulting from the both the higher speeds and the three mixing arms, but you'll just end up using colder water to begin with, so it shouldn't be an issue. In regards to your experiment, the dough mixed with the bosch would still yield a higher temperature dough b/c of the higher friction factor.

Leave a comment:

• Wiley
    replied

Interesting video but I have some questions. First off I'm very new to the bread making thing and my style is to read as much as I can and see what makes sense from what I read. Regarding mechanically mixing dough one thing I have taken away from the books is to minimize heating the dough while mixing. Bertinet, for example, won't even use a mechanical mixer; at least in the quanities he offers in his book "Crust", preferring to mix totally by hand in a (to me) curious manner. What he does in his bakery I do not know.

Now the engineer in me says it takes some given amount of work to mix the dough. And one product of work is heat. So it would seem to follow the faster one does the work the more heat is produced per unit of time, resulting in a higher temperature of the dough. On that thought it would be interesting to see a test run with the two machines with ingredients starting at the same temperature and both mixed to the same consistancy and the temperature measured at time of reaching that desired consistancy. Obviously the KA would take longer to achieve that desired consistancy.

Who knows there may be no significant difference in the final temperatures between the two machines, but if the temprature of the dough during mixing is important to the final product (bread) then would be nice to know before saying one machine is "better" because it more quickly mixes the dough.

Now I realize that time has different values to different people but isn't the whole WFO more of enjoying the process and quality of the final product rather than seeing how fast something can be done? Thoughts?

Wiley

Leave a comment:

• ERASMO
    replied

RT

Was that video helpful in making the decision?

It pushed me over the edge. I put a request in to Santa and hopefully their will be one under the tree.

Keep us posted on the performance!

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Good man! Anything worth buying is worth over buying!

I notice, however, that you didn't tell us what attachments you ordered...

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

O.K., I've done it.....I Just purchased the Bosch Universal Plus, should be here in a few days. In true American fashion - I over bought, I think the only items I didn't buy were the grain mill and its attachments.
    I will keep all posted in the coming weeks as to the results of my "performance tests".

RT

Leave a comment:

• ERASMO
    replied

Here is a great video comparison between KA and Bosch. This may have been posted before.
    Bosch vs. Kitchenaid

Leave a comment:

• jmhepworth
    replied

We have both the Kitchen Aid Professional (6 qt) and the Bosch. We had a 4 1/2 qt KA for a couple of decades that I would not recommend for bread -- not because of the burn up issue, but because it just bounces around too much. The 4 1/2 qt KA works well to mix things that don't get off balance, but bread dough isn't one of them.

I got a KA Professional for Christmas a few years ago, but not really for bread. My wife bakes all of our bread (not in a WFO because I'm not done with it yet), and she uses the Bosch exclusively to mix and knead bread dough because she can set the timer and it quits when the dough is ready. When she has needed to prepare more bread than the Bosch will do in a single batch, she has used the KA Professional with good results, but I can't vouch for whether it will last with sustained use mixing bread. By the way, Bosch has recently improved its design to make it a lot easier to clean after preparing bread dough. Bottom line -- even though I like my KA Professional a lot, I would go with the Bosch to knead bread dough (and pizza dough).

We also grind wheat to make bread and have made whole wheat pizza dough. More fiber, better taste, but it's a bit tough. We're curious to see what it does in a WFO.

Joe

Leave a comment:

• BRIFRO
    replied

I also have a KA Professional HD. The speed control on this one malfunctioned. When I turn it on it launches into ultral high speed for about 5 seconds and then shuts off. Doesn't matter what speed it is set on. I called KA and told them about the issue and even thought the mixer was only out of the warranty period by 1 month they would not honor it because I admitted using an attatchment on the mixer which was not KA brand. I would not recomend KA mixers to anyone.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

RT,

I did the research on the KA (read hundreds of the bad reviews), threw the dice and bought a refurb for a bargain basement price. It appears (at least to me) they have their gearbox issue ironed out. Before I bought it, I was told by a KA rep that as of early '08, all new and refurb machines have the redesigned gearbox.

So far, I haven't had any issues with my machine. No smells, no funny noises, etc. I use it exclusively for dough. If you want to save a few dollars, I think KA is a reasonable bet now.

That being said... I would feel terrible if you bought one on my advice and it turned out to be a lemon .

I'm with you on the Bosch. I have a few of their tools and never had any problem. That should be a very safe purchase.

I guess more then anything I want to let guys on a tight budget know that a refurb KA can again be an option in their decision making. I'm very happy with mine.

Happy mixing and let us know how you like the Bosch!

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

Don't encourage Neill too much.....he may end up converting a 25 hp garden tractor into a food processor/mixer/vacuum cleaner...he is a pretty handy guy. I just wish I had the facilities and resources to attempt some of his creations; I don't care if I'm successful, I just want to try. Living in surburbia with shop space (garage) that changes daily based on my wife's mood (her car and 17 poly tubs for Christmas decorations come first), no cool local sources of materials, and 3 neighbors with babies within a stone throw (limits my use of all the fun tools) really stifles a guy's creativity. In my next life I want to come back as Neill, my hat's off to ya mate.

RT

Leave a comment:

• Jed
    replied

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
    Don't set up challenges like that Dmun,
    I have already started to research the swinging arm mixer as a home build.
    I seem to have a great deal of difficulty kneading dough, so thought I might look into making a mixer with that simple but apparently best kneading action with some of the equipment I have at home.

Neill
    Neill,

Keep us posted on what you find, with home build options for that mixer thingie... I like the idea of some help with the kneading... but not in a position to pop for a 'real' mixer...

JED

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Don't set up challenges like that Dmun,
    I have already started to research the swinging arm mixer as a home build.
    I seem to have a great deal of difficulty kneading dough, so thought I might look into making a mixer with that simple but apparently best kneading action with some of the equipment I have at home.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

I've bought my share of Chinese electronics/tools over the years and all have failed miserably except the HF 10" tile saw
    I propose a bonus of five kilos of Caputo for anyone who can figure a way to adapt the HF tile saw for kneeding dough.

Leave a comment:

• DrakeRemoray
    replied

From what I see, the Bosch sounds like it is a workhorse, but I have never used one. Let us know how it performs for you!

The SP-5 came up totally dead on me at thanksgiving, turns out is was a $2 fuse, but the timing was not great...had to pull out the old kitchen aid.

Drake

Leave a comment:

Working...
X