• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heliman
    replied
    Re: Digital Scale!

Originally posted by camille2785 View Post
    I bought the MyWeigh kd8000 Digital Scale. It is my new favorite tool in my kitchen. It has a fun baker's math calculator! I bought mine from digitalscalesaz.com. It definitely makes portioning easier.
    Yes, it's proved to be a real workhorse for me. Think I've almost worn the thing out. Just basic meauring though and haven't used the baker's maths functionality but may do so in time.

Leave a comment:

• camille2785
    replied

I bought the MyWeigh kd8000 Digital Scale. It is my new favorite tool in my kitchen. It has a fun baker's math calculator! I bought mine from digitalscalesaz.com. It definitely makes portioning easier.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

I have used the FB scale every day for a couple of years, and it has changed the way I bake. And I have to admit that I weigh yeast, rather than measure. What's the old saying -- "close enough for government work." :-)

James

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

1 gram accuracy is enough for everything but yeast, and since a teaspoon of yeast is four grams, it's easy to measure grams with a quarter teaspoon measure.

I too have a more accurate scale, a triple beam balance, but I never get it out.

Leave a comment:

• Jed
    replied

I brought one of these scales home from the Forno Bravo store

Digital Scale for Pizza and Bread Dough :: Pizza Making & Serving Accessories :: Forno Bravo Store

It has worked great, accuracy to 1g, capacity of 11 pounds (I don't have a bowl that big to mix in..) and gets used almost daily around the house (and get's loaned to the neighbors ).. is fairly priced, and I like supporting our host with this forum.

JED

Leave a comment:

• heliman
    replied

I bought a Myweigh KD-8000 scale recently: KD-8000 | My Weigh Digital Scales- Manufacturer of quality digital scales and digital scale accessories

It seems to do the job OK though I have to say that the quality is not that good. It surprisingly does come with a 30 year/lifetime warranty but its plastic finish does not look very robust so don't believe that it will last the distance.

What I do miss is the .1 gram increment mention by texas. I currently have to use a second mini digital scale for yeast and salt which is very inconvenient when making small quantities of dough.

Getting back the selling feature of Baker's percentage (BP) on the KD-8000, whilst this is good, I have a major concern. The methodology for using BP requires that it be used similar to the more well known "Tare" function, that is, it is reset after each ingredient is added. The problem with this approach is that once ingredients are added - you can remove them if you add too much as a BP or Tare amount. For that reason I prefer to weigh each individual ingredient separately as it allows me more control over the overall process.

I don't think I would buy another KD-8000 and would get a more accurate scale that can do .1 g as texas has done...

Rossco

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

dmun commented about measuring small amounts of yeast. I made some dough last night that needed 1/4 t. of instant yeast and weighed it for curiosity. It weighed .8 grams. So with .1 gram accuracy I should be able to get down to about 1/32 of teaspoon of yeast with SOME accuracy and 1/16 t or so with reasonable accuracy.

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
    That's funny! I do exactly the same thing... and when I overshoot and hit 1002, I find myself grabbing a teaspoon and removing a bit... Like it'll make a difference.

Actually, overshooting slightly and then removing the excess is often easier.

You never know when those extra 2 g are going to cause a problem - okay not really, but if it makes you feel better just go ahead and think so.

In my opinion OCD is underrated. After all, if it weren't for people with OCD, we wouldn't have clocks that are accurate 200 decimal places more than will ever conceivably be practical!

Leave a comment:

• DrakeRemoray
    replied

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
    What I really really want is one of those thermapen thingys...
    They are on sale...$74...
    ThermoWorks - Home of the Original Super-Fast Thermapen!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Gromit View Post
    I must admit that I feel quite ridiculous carefully shaking the bag of flour to measure out 997...998...999...1000 grams we're good to go!
    That's funny! I do exactly the same thing... and when I overshoot and hit 1002, I find myself grabbing a teaspoon and removing a bit... Like it'll make a difference.

I guess I have C.D.O.
    It's like O.C.D. but all the letters are in alphabetical order just as they should be!

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

The scale in the FB store is a good one- I have one like it. I've also seen that one in the KA catalog.

What I really really want is one of those thermapen thingys...

Leave a comment:

• Gromit
    replied

I must admit that I feel quite ridiculous carefully shaking the bag of flour to measure out 997...998...999...1000 grams we're good to go!

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

.01 gram accuracy is useful in measuring yeast. My one gram readouts leave me measuing half a teaspoon for my two grams of yeast.

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

Good, David! Thanks for mentioning that one.

If I didn't already have a 5 gram scale I would have looked for one with specs like yours.

The repeatability of these digital scales is IMO amazing. The Soehnle is overkill on accuracy for baking but every once in a while I (as a frustrated scientist) want to know what something weighs and now I have a whole new level of accuracy!

Thanks!
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• Gromit
    replied

I recently bought a Taylor scale that is a bit of a compromise between your two. It goes to 10 lbs. with 1 gram increments. It was $55.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X