Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Happy Yeast!

Jay

It is a sourdough starter not commercial yeast. In the first picture that is the 100 grams of 100% starter and the 100 and 100 of wheat and bread flour. Am am now almost done with hour 2 and it has appeared to be expanding. I don't think that it is close to double yet. But when i did the last stretch and fold you can tell a difference in the firmness of the dough before and after
    Toby

Columbus, NE

Comment

At hour two it should be showing growth. Do one more s&f and then let it go. Form at 3 hours or so. This timing is not IMO particularly critical other than it needs to be early enough to give the formed loaves time to rise and late enough that the dough retains some strength (doesn't totally relax). The question will be how long to let it go after forming.

Note: at forming it should feel somewhat less sticky than it has been and have sort of a jello feel - i.e. it won't just "plop" but will sort of quiver and give as you handle it. It won't fight you so much as respond to your touch. If it is too sticky for you, use flour at that point.

Remember... doubling in volume only requires a 40 % increase in diameter (for a baguette) You can bake when it is around 30% bigger in diameter and you will get more oven spring/expansion.

Sounds good!
      Jay
      Last edited by texassourdough; 05-21-2010, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Thanks for imput, i have formed the loaves and like u said i should have added a bit more flour but have already formed them before reading this, the dough was a bit sticky yet, but i will go with it now. i ended up forming them up on parchment paper, since they were still sticky, so i can cut the paper with sicors and then place on stone in oven.
        Toby

Columbus, NE

Comment

Well they are done baking....they sprung up a bit during baking, i think that next time, i need to add a bit more dlour, seemed to be a bit wet and blooby when trying to form the loaves... But they had nice gas holes inside and their is a slight sour taste and the crust was perfect i thought, not too hard....overall i liked the taste of the bread and will try it again soon!!! Thanks Jay for all input
          Toby

Columbus, NE

Comment

Here is a couple pictures of one after baking
            Toby

Columbus, NE

Comment

Looks pretty good! Crumb looks nice. I am going to guess they were a bit overproofed because they should have sprung more than that (but I can't see the slashes to be confident of my diagnosis). Looks like it would make fine bruschetta!

Way to go!
              Jay

Comment

There really wern't any slashes, it was to wet when i tryed to cut them, the blade would just stick and start to pull on the dough. i will try it again, but maybee make it a hair dryer, maybee it will be easier for me to work.
                Toby

Columbus, NE

Comment

I tend to suggest people find a level of hydration they are reasonably comfortable with and get the kinks worked out at that level. Yes, the bread will typically be a hair denser, and not have as random a bubble pattern (if that is a big deal to you) but should taste as good and serves as a base for dealing with wetter doughs. You did well on that batch so, as you suggest, don't back off much! Without knowing more about your slashing, having more of a "skin" will help which can be achieved with some air drying for a few minutes before baking or with flour at the forming stage (which will give you a drier skin so the blade shouldn't stick as easily). Wetting the blade can help as can slashing fast. Don't try to drag the blade slowly on wet, sticky doughs. For three slashes on a baguette, think "zip, zip, zip". About one second or so of total slashing time,

Enjoy!
                  Jay

Comment

Working...
                  X