More Bread, screwing with proof times, and blow-outs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More Bread, screwing with proof times, and blow-outs

Chris...I wasn't thinking when I said "here in So. Cal. we have lots of Euc..." Obviously, orange county is more "so cal" than us up here and you know very well that there is eucalyptus around. Duh...

Bill

Comment

I've avoided euc in the past for fear that it was inferior, relative to poping or smoking or whatever. The fruit woods have seemingly had high ratings for both burning for the oven and using the coals for the BBQ, so I've stayed this direction. As I explained, I grew up with a orange wood fire in the fireplace and lived next to Orange groves. Aside from the Smudge Pot mornings, I loved running through the groves.

I'll give Euc a try.

Thanks Bill!

Chris
      Last edited by SCChris; 09-18-2012, 06:10 PM.

Comment

WJW could please tell me how much sourdough and in what hydration did you use for a total 4 hours frement?

Comment

Dimitri:

The sourdough recipe which is my starting point is a combination of the recipes provided by Faith and Jay and can be found at posts #15 and #17 at this thread:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f11/...ugh-17654.html

I rely on the timing and s&f schedule from Faith, but the hydration levels and bakers percentage amounts come from Jay. The recipe there is for 60% hydration. I have tweaked it up to around 70...but like the results best at around 63%-65% hydration. Doesn't stick to my bannetons, easy to handle, and a nice open crumb.

I'm not quite sure about the four hour question...My pre-ferment the night before is typically about ten hours....then I mix up the dough by hand and do a bulk fermentation of around three hours or a bit less (with about three S&F's during that period), then I do loaf formation into bannetons with about a proof time of about two and a half hours (or maybe a bit less) before the first loaves go into the oven.

I typically do about twenty to thirty loaves which range from 750 grams to 1100 grams.

The pre-ferment is done on my kitchen counter over night at 100% hydration and at approximately 65-70 degrees F. The bulk ferment and post-loaf formation proof is usually at around 75-77 degrees in the room I use for bulk fermentation and loaf proofing....but it is a very large piece of dough (approx. 50 lbs) and I think it changes temp very slowly.

My flour bags are stored in my drafty garage and I mix dough in the morning....so the flour is usually anywhere between 55 to 65 degrees when it gets incorporated into dough. The water I use is straight from the faucet and I use enough warm to bring the temp to around 80 degrees. My guess is that by the time everything is mixed together just before my delayed salt addition, the temp of the flour is pretty close to 75 degrees F. I think it stays that way or warms up a bit through the bulk fermentation. After the loaves are formed they are much smaller and warm up in that environment to the ambient 77 or so. Or at least that's what I think....

With all of that said....if my starter is not amped up and very very active (with twice a day feeding schedule for a couple of days before the bake), the entire process is likely to fall apart...slow way down, and give me real headaches. But when the starter is happy....everything roles nicely along.

Bill

Comment

Working...
          X