Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sourdough Boules with Rye

Let's make it happen then.

Chris, I'm sure you are incorrect about the amount of rainfall we get in Camarillo.

I'm only about ninety miles north of you and about fifteen miles from the center of Thousand Oaks. Like San Clemente, Camarillo is near the coast. Anyway, I looked on a NOAA whether site and according to that San Clemente receives an average rainfall of 13.56 inches a year. Camarillo receives 13.61 inches. virtually identical rainfall amounts. Were you thinking of Cambria? That's much further north and gets a bunch more rain.

Anyway, it sounds like fun and unless we plan it in January or February, I highly doubt weather will be an issue. Any time is good for me.

Bill

Comment

Re rainfall.. Hmmm I stand corrected. I based my erroneous rainfall on T.O. = 21.05 and how we seem to fair with respect to LA.. I guess rather than the grass is always greener, that "x" city has more rain does not follow..

:-)

Ok it looks like I need to find a time to travel to my sister's.

Chris
      Last edited by SCChris; 09-13-2012, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Interesting about the rainfall for Thousand Oaks. I would not have guessed they received that much. I guess the few hundred extra feet of elevation and the fact that it is tucked in between those two coastall ranges of foothills really increases the rainfall they get compared to the the surrounding areas. Virtually all of coastal Ventura county is right around 13-14 inches. Some of the mountain areas get a LOT more. I guess T.O. is somewhere in between.

Bill

Comment

First let me apologize for the quality of the cell phone photos, they're only slightly better than none. The first photo is of the fresh Rye flour. I'm getting use to the mill and because of this you'll see some larger flour particles. I don't mind these, they add a bit of rustic to the bread, but they were unintentional. The flour Mill will allow me to really go fine on the flour, but since it's easier to clear the flour by opening the stones a bit and I opened these a bit early, I ended up with some larger pieces of rye.

The following shots show the process of mixing and kneading and Stretch and folding the dough up to the 2 hour point. At 2 hours I divided the dough into 2 batches and put them to bed in the fridge. Normally I'd have given the sourdough critters another hour to multiply and at that point either shape the dough into Boules or send it to the fridge for later use. Note the photo naming, T-0 being the rough mix before autolyse, T30 the dough after autolyse, the salt being added and being aggressively kneaded, to integrate the 1% salt and 2% water slurry. The T60 is post the next S/F round and similarly T90. T120 is after a 30 minute rest and T122 is after the dough has had S/F session.

In photo 293 you'll notice the crumb has a nice shine and is open, I prefer the crumb a bit more open. Also note the Boule has the tearing associated with under proofing. The Boule in this picture could have used 30-60 more minutes of proofing, the Boule with the crumb exposed is from a second bake and is closer to ideal proofing. In Photo 294 these Boules are from the same bake, notice a little tear on the end of the uncut Boule, just about right but a few more minutes would have opened the crumb and might have been better.

These batches had a few challenges relating to time. Ideally I'd be able to dial up the levain with 2 feeding and really allow it to get rolling before mixing it into the dough, this time because of hot weather I had to choose between less than ideal levain from the fridge or way past prime levain after work. I chose the refrigerated levain. Second, again because of the hot weather and time constraints, I choose to get the dough into the fridge at 2 hours rather than deal with a hot oven. Sunday the weather broke and we were 15F cooler and the bake was more pleasant.

Chris

Comment

Addl Photos from the above discussion.

Chris

Comment

That looks really good Chris! Bravo!

WRT particle size I wouldn't worry too much. I have bought coarse rye that was closer to shredded than particles and it made for a wondrously rustic loaf.

That looks really fine!
              Jay

Comment

Thanks Jay!

Sometimes it all comes together just right, sometimes not and sometimes you fall into it and it works out. I keep working to get more "seat of the pants" intuition so that more often than not it all comes together just right.

Chris

Comment

Todays batch is 4 700g loaves. What's different with todays loaves is that the whole wheat was milled, as needed. Attached are 5 photos, 2 of bread, and 3 others showing my hawo mill, the Prarie Gold bag that contained the whole grain before repacking and storing, my flour shaker, labled as sugar, and my lame. The bread is a bit lighter that I perfer, but this was intentional because of the difference of how freshly milled grain handles , sucks up, water. Rather than pushing the hydration up in this batch I chose to work with my normal hydration and see where the loaves end up after baking and cooling.

Chris

Comment

And the second batch out.

Chris

PS and Crumb.
                    Last edited by SCChris; 09-30-2012, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Those are some nice looking loaves, Chris. What was your hydration? Also, about how much flour do you put in your brotforms? You have a very nice spiral.

Comment

I'm right at 75% hydration and given the feel of the dough, going to 85% would have felt more familiar. Normally I run my dough at 80% and I know the 15% fresh milled grains pulled more moisture than store bought flour. The lower, apparent, hydration made the release from the brotform cleaner but to answer your question about the amount of flour. Lately I've been lightly spraying the form with oil, covering the surface with rice flour and lightly tapping out the excess. The light vegetable oil spray allows the flour to cling and release the dough and wipe clean later. I don't think the spray is needed every time every 3rd time would be fine and maybe the best way to think about it is when the form becomes a bit tougher to clean up, then a light coating of spray oil before flouring makes sense.

Chris

Comment

Outstanding loaves, Chris! Just about perfect! Yea, you could get a more open crumb with higher hydration but the crust color and variation (three tones of brown/gold) are just about perfect! Bravo!

Jay

Comment

Thank you Jay, I'm very pleased with the outcome. It may be time for a large WFO bake. I've been looking for low cost proofing baskets, by my estimate I'll need 10 to 12 total.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SCChris View Post
                              Thank you Jay, I'm very pleased with the outcome. It may be time for a large WFO bake. I've been looking for low cost proofing baskets, by my estimate I'll need 10 to 12 total.

Chris
                              The Lucky Clover Trading Co.

This is where I got mine. Pretty reasonable.

Nice looking boules, by the way.

Comment

Thanks Polo!

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X