First Big Bake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First Big Bake

WJW - that batch looks really good. Holy Bovines, I wish I had time to burn bread and complain about it lately. I am thinking that part of the issue was water in the hearth insulation around the edges, not enough heat saturation and the low humidity (low teens) that day.

Next bake will have minimal misting or a steam pan and a heat saturated oven. Now - where to find the time to enclose the oven, bake bread and oh yeah work

Be good!
    Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

I just wrote a long reply thanking all of you guys/gals who were generous enough to help a complete rookie build an oven and then learn to use it to bake some pretty decent sourdough. I was specific in how each of you took the time to help me and others.

Then I somehow deleted it before posting.

So let me thank Jay, Faith, Al (brickie), Tom (Tscarborough), Chris (SCChris), DavidS, Giannifocaccia (John), and all the others for all of your help. You guys are so cool for sharing your expertise.

Bll

Comment

Thanks, Bill! I know I can speak for the others by saying that we all love seeing others succeed. The path to really great bread is not (at least for many) a casual one. There are nuances to learn. It takes time - some longer, some shorter, but time. And experience. And a great deal of care and effort. And you provided that. We only suggested things to try to help you climb over a misstep or obstacle. But be warned! As lovely and perfect as that batch was, you will continue to grow, your standards will evolve, and you will goof up from time to time and need to refocus your baking. But revel in the bread you are making! And enjoy the joy your bread brings to others!
        Jay

Comment

Working...
        X