Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dough Hydration question

Fredjana,

Don't have much to add to what Dutch said about steam, but I would second the suggestion to use a cheapo garden sprayer rather than the hose. Too much steam will result in flat bread, but, then again, too little steam will result in flat bread. It's a fine balance between enough steam at the beginning, then venting the steam at about halfway through. My method is a bit different than Dutch's, but we likely get the same results. I steam my 4'x3' oven for about 15 seconds before loading then put on the door. Once loaded, I steam upwards toward the dome and the back of the oven for about 10 seconds, immediately replacing the door. If the loaves will take, say, 20 minutes for a full bake, I vent the steam at 10 minutes. By that stage, full oven spring has occurred and finishing the bake in a dry environment sets the crust. However, it you want crustier crust, vent earlier. With some breads, indeed, you should vent the steam as soon as the loaves show color, but this is a judgment call that takes time to learn.

Dutch is exactly right, each oven is a bit different (even one 90 to another), and it takes trial and error to get it right. Your oven is smaller than mine, so the spray duration will likely be less.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Dutch, I am interested in your formula. Thanks again.

Fred

Originally posted by Dutchoven View Post
      FredJana
      I have a formula for an Italian loaf, very soft in the crumb and you can make the crust as crisp or as soft as you like. Let me know if you're interested! I think the rosette is a basic dough and then just shaped into rose shape.

Asuda
      Will love to help when you get going!
      Best
      Dutch

Comment

Dutch/Jim/James: You guys are a tremendous help and I feel as though this new hobby will soon consume me. I have found that my ciabatta crust is crisp when it comes out of the oven, but quickly softens. Am I not venting the oven enough? In other words, if I vent longer, does the bread stay crisper longer? I am able to reheat the bread the following day with a nice crisp, but almost brittle crust. Does venting longer result in a deeper crust?

Comment

All bread tends to soften a bit when it cools...even leaner varieties...you could vent a bit sooner and get more crispness...just have to watch the color...you may want to vent your oven when you see color develop...we'll see what the others think...I am going out of town so I will get you the Italian loaf/Rosette Roll formula when I return
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Jim made a good comment a while back that a slightly cooler and drier oven will give you a thicker, more crunchy crust on your loaves. The crust has more time to form before it gets too dark, and you get that more rustic, chewy, crunchy crust that a lot of us like.

Now, getting from a hot and steamy oven at the start of the baking, to a moderate and dry oven to finish your loaves -- I guess that's where the magic comes in.

Keep experimenting; I think this is a very good thread, with a lot to learn.
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchoven View Post
              <snip> ...just have to watch the color...you may want to vent your oven when you see color develop... <snip>Dutch
              This may be a stupid question, but if the door is closed, how do you see the color develop.

And has anyone thought of building a door with a window in it?

J W

Comment

Yes, I have seen photos of doors with windows...the glass should be insulated ceramic glass from what I understand...until then you just have to learn your oven by watching bake times in the beginning and later you can pretty much go without peeking
                Dutch

Originally posted by jwnorris View Post
                This may be a stupid question, but if the door is closed, how do you see the color develop.

And has anyone thought of building a door with a window in it?

J W
                "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
                X