Hamelman's Sourdough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hamelman's Sourdough

Don't forget you can roast some bell peppers when the oven is past the roasts and then when it has cooled down to the 200 degree range you can make some great oven-dried tomatoes, dried fruit and even further dry your own fresh herbs. Use your "noodle" and you will come up with some great stuff with this cooking appliance. We have done our Thanksgiving turkeys and all the trimmings, cakes, brownies all sorts of stuff. Just as you said you just have to know where on that temp curve they fit in. The color on my sourdoughs are generally darker also, I believe it would have something to do with more sugars being present during baking thanks to the different enzymes breaking out the sugars before the yeasts came consume them. I think. I would hope to hear from CanuckJim about that as he knows much more, so I defer the real "sage" advice to him. Too bad now pictures. That market was good, took lots of stuff and coma home with none. There were baguettes, french country batards flavored with a bit of fresh basil and sliced garlic, boules flavored with oven-dried tomato and fresh basil, the Mississippi sourdough, ciabatta, and New York style bagels. Thursday afternoon to Saturday morning was interesting but seeing happy faces made it worth it.
    Best to you!
    Dutch
    P.S. Drake are you allowing time between loads of bread for the oven to restabilze? If so, make sure as the baking time lengthens to also lengthen the rest time in between. As I remember you have a well insulated oven and it should recover quite well in those first few hours. Oh and also you can leave some coals spread out on the floor for a while to soak some extra heat into the floor before you rest and stabilize the oven.
    Dutch
    Last edited by Dutchoven; 08-06-2007, 03:50 PM. Reason: question
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Re: Hamelman's Sourdough

Originally posted by Dutchoven View Post
      P.S. Drake are you allowing time between loads of bread for the oven to restabilze? If so, make sure as the baking time lengthens to also lengthen the rest time in between. As I remember you have a well insulated oven and it should recover quite well in those first few hours. Oh and also you can leave some coals spread out on the floor for a while to soak some extra heat into the floor before you rest and stabilize the oven.
      Dutch
      I did not really leave time between loads, I should probably start that, good idea! I did spread the coals around after pizza to let all that heat soak in, also, it lets the biggest chunks burn themselves out, making it easier to shovel them out!

Great to hear about the market! That is a lot of work!

I need to send my good digital camera back to Nikon for repair (again!), then I will take some beauty shots...

Also as to the sourdough and the darker crusts. Both loaves were sourdough, I think the Hamelman is a higher hydration dough than Silverton's olive bread. I guess that would mean more Lacto type bacteria and more sugar, therefore a darker crust??

Thanks again for the advice.
      Drake
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Working...
      X