X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playing with sourdough

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
    Ron, Dave,

The retail arm of The Sanfrancisco Baking Institute sells genuine banneton at a much lower price. They also have other cool stuff at good prices: Baking Supplies|Basket and Supplies|Basket|Wicket Baskter|Plastic Baskets|Linen Liners|Proofing Boards|Wood Peel.

Jim
    Thanks for the link!
    Oven Progress
    Bread Photos
    Oven Stand Thread

Comment

how do you prepare the banneton so the rising dough does not stick when you go to release it onto floor of oven

Comment

The inside of the banneton is dusted quite well with rice flour. No problems with sticking thus far.
        Oven Progress
        Bread Photos
        Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Took a try at the poil?ne miche from "The Baker's Apprentice." The crust looks OK, but the inside was undercooked and quite dense. I had to cut the cook time short b/c I needed to leave the house right away. I believe the internal temp was 192F. Also, I had to use a 50/50 mix of whole wheat flour and bread flour b/c I couldn't find and medium grind wheat. Oh and those dayum hampster holes are back.
          Oven Progress
          Bread Photos
          Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Baking always takes longer than you think huh? I have found that concentrating on my shaping technique has gotten rid of my large holes. There are some detailed shaping instructions in Amazon.com: Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes: Books: Jeffrey Hamelman
            Drake
            My Oven Thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
              Baking always takes longer than you think huh? I have found that concentrating on my shaping technique has gotten rid of my large holes. There are some detailed shaping instructions in Amazon.com: Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes: Books: Jeffrey Hamelman
              Drake
              Yea I just received the book in the mail a few days ago and I'm going to try my hands with the miche again tonight. Thanks!
              Oven Progress
              Bread Photos
              Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Second try at the Miche. No caverns this time, but there are some larger than I'd like pockets as you can see from the last pic. Flavor is great, but the texture of the crumb still needs work. I don't think my barm was quite as active as it needed to be.
                Oven Progress
                Bread Photos
                Oven Stand Thread

Comment

You are really getting there with these loaves. Concentrate on technique and sticking to the formula. Gradually you will begin to eliminate variables and will be able to manipulate them to achieve any desired result you might have. I do believe that improving your shaping technique will help with these strange holes in the crumb of you bread. Something you are doing is creating this. Do keep in mind that when you begin to bake them in the WFO with the hot hearth you will be able to see those big ones originating in the lower portion of the loaves and extend upward into the loaf.
                  All the best to you and keep learning!
                  Dutch
                  Last edited by Dutchoven; 09-26-2007, 07:33 PM. Reason: fumble fingers
                  "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                  "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thanks! Once I finish this loaf off (man, 4lbs is a lot of bread), I'll try another. I agree that my shaping needs work. Hamelman's book has been a big help. I really like his techniques.
                    Oven Progress
                    Bread Photos
                    Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Originally posted by rlf5 View Post
                      Thanks! Once I finish this loaf off (man, 4lbs is a lot of bread), I'll try another. I agree that my shaping needs work. Hamelman's book has been a big help. I really like his techniques.
                      Looking good!

Is it really tasty?
                      My thread:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                      My costs:
                      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                      My pics:
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Sliced, toasted, and buttered its great...with marmalade on top of that its even better.
                        Oven Progress
                        Bread Photos
                        Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Fourth (I think) run with the basic sourdough. The flavor keeps getting better and better. Not dense at all this time, but the larger holes are still there. I imagine my shaping technique sucks. At least the holes don't effect the taste.
                          Oven Progress
                          Bread Photos
                          Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Is this Reinhart's Basic SD or Hamelman's. I do not have Hamelman's book so I am not familiar with his recipe. The bread really is looking good and irregularity in the crumb is good but...there is some variable that is causing these cavernous holes. I will try to come up with a suggestion.
                            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchoven View Post
                              Is this Reinhart's Basic SD or Hamelman's. I do not have Hamelman's book so I am not familiar with his recipe. The bread really is looking good and irregularity in the crumb is good but...there is some variable that is causing these cavernous holes. I will try to come up with a suggestion.
                              Its the basic sourdough recipe from Reinhart. Thanks!
                              Oven Progress
                              Bread Photos
                              Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Just a thought: once you divide and scale the dough pieces, you should do a preliminary shaping. The first step in that shaping is to pat the pieces flat with the palm of your hand (not too aggressively). This will eliminate most, if not all, large gas pockets. After a bench rest of about fifteen minutes (seam side up), you can flip the dough over, do the final shaping and into the baskets.

Jim
                                "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Working...
                                X