Which breads go first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which breads go first?

Good info. I was just winging it. I bake by the recipe for the time being. Cooking,,,, I can wing it with the spices /temps etc. I've got a pretty good feeling for it. Baking, no way. Read the book, be a robot.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I dunno... With the WFO oven been putting things in a heats I never would have dared before. All depends on how far the dough has risen and how far the oven has cooled down by then.

Risen dough, no room in the fridge to retard, oven too hot? Fling it in, maybe in the form of rolls, so they have a chance of being baked before the outsides burn...

Dough not risen enough, oven cooling down faster than expected? Ditto, with a longer baking time, and a bread that maybe tastes better toasted...

It strikes me the actual temps are far more flexible than I ever thought. The end product may not be perfect, but its usually still very edible.
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

you make a good point there Frances about oven temps being flexible.......the conditions seem to be different for me every time and its interesting to see the varying results.....

I suppose these variations help me decide the most favoured result......
        Cheers
        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

You are absoutely right...everyone's oven has its own personality and quirks...just have to pay attention...so it does not become too variable a variable...Jim has said that he sometimes does baguettes when the hearth is over 600 degrees...something I could not dream of...at least not right now...but he knows his oven and his doughs...not something everyone could try without experience
          Best
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
          X