Instant-read probe thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Instant-read probe thermometer

Drake,I'm thinking the thermapen would be a toy me, IF I did alot of baking, I don't. other than an occasional poke into a chicken or turkey, I don't use a thermometer much. I guess it is all in what you make. I guess it is in the same league as an IR.....very usefull if you have specific needs. I would not give up my IR for anything, when it dies or gets lost, I will gladly pay $100 for a new one....Guess I'm trying to say....I understand your fascination for the item. What the heck....I will add it to my Xmas wish list and see if Santa comes through.

RT

Comment

OK for the price and this is a hard one to beat. Not as fast as the thermopen but still a nice tool with a nice price

CDN ProAccurate ProAccurate Quick Tip Digital Cooking Thermometer - CDN Thermometers

Inexpensive Instant-Read Thermometers—Updated-Equipment Ratings-Cook's Illustrated*9/2007
      CDN ProAccurate Quick Tip Digital Cooking Thermometer DTQ450
      Price: $17.95
      Source: CutleryAndMore.com: Wusthof Knives, All Clad Cookware, Henckels Cutlery, Calphalon, Le Creuset, John Boos & More.
      Average Response Time: 10 seconds
      Probe Length: 4.7 inches
      Comments: CDN won us over by meeting the testing criteria on all fronts. Quick 10-second readings put it only a step behind the test kitchen’s high-end favorite, the ThermoWorks Super-Fast Thermapen.

Thermopen will snap a reading in 5 seconds.

oh yeah and for the record I will probably be getting the Thermopen, its not a toy. A good thermometer is a serious tool for me.
      Last edited by CajunKnight; 06-07-2008, 10:54 PM.
      Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
      like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

Since this is the Forno Bravo Forum, I should throw in a recommendation for the thermometer that James is selling:
        Infrared Thermometer :: Pizza Oven Accessories :: Forno Bravo Store

The description doesn't mention it but the FB infrared/laser thermometer has a built in probe. I've used it for beef, chicken and turkey. It give a near instantaneous readout.

One tool gives you an oven thermometer AND a food probe.

James...you might want to update the description for the Thermometer!
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Guys,

Been super busy with oven installations and teaching courses, so little time to post. All I can say is that the Thermopen is the one baking tool I use the most, including peels, mixers, etc. The cost is high, true, but the speed of the chip and the accuracy make it well worth it. As Drake and SJ point out, I use it for everything: air, water, flour and finished bake temps, plus meats of all kinds.

If you find a similar looking item on line for $40, beware; there are cheap Asian knock-offs that don't have the speed or accuracy.

The baking time difference for a fully baked baguette, for example, compared to an under or over baked baguette is very small, so it's important to get an instant reading you can trust. This is especially true if you're working with a 600 F hearth. My mother tapped the bottom of her loaves, but even she produced the occasional gummy loaf of bread. Not so with an instant read.

Jim
          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

You've convinced me! Sounds like the Thermopen is the way to go. Now I just have to convince my wife, let her know she can use it too.
            "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Comment

Working...
            X