Bagels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bagels?

Yes, I made sure to boil before baking. Nice and chewy!

I used malt, but a powdered variety because it's what I could find locally. Do you know if it makes much of a difference as opposed to malt syrup? I'm not talking about carnation malted milk powder, but rather the diastatic malt powder I found at my local Mormon kitchen supplies store (they have all sorts of fun weird stuff).

I'll have to pick up some vital wheat gluten the next time I'm in there. They have the mill grind their own high-gluten flour, and that's what I used. I can't really tell a difference between it and the King Arthur I'd used before. The woman who worked there wasn't able to tell me the protein content on their blend, so it's hard to compare.

The baking sheet I used was already a bit wonky when I sent it in the oven, but it's good to know that I should use a weightier gauge. Thanks for the tip!
    Last edited by Modthyrth; 08-30-2009, 09:00 PM.
    Nikki

Comment

wow they look great.. I'll have to try them..
      -------------------------------------------
      My 2nd Build:
      Is here

Comment

Nikki
        I would personally suggest using the syrup if you could get your hands on some. We have gotten some at our local Whole Foods store. The malt powder is a nice dough additive for some formulas. Increases the amount of maltase in the dough early on. does some nice things for both flavor and color.
        Nice job on the bagels!
        Best
        Dutch
        "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
        "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

I just made bagels using Reinhart and my conventional oven. I was very pleased at how easy it really was to make. I used the powdered malt from the beer making store after I figured that would be the best place to get it. (Turns out that source was spelled out in the book but I missed it even though I read it like 5 times). I also used bread flour spiked with vital wheat gluten. The second batch I boiled for 4 min and baked for 15 min.

The results were very good, perhaps excellent, chewy but more tender then I remember, but perhaps that was because of the amazing freshness compared to what I can buy. I found my self wondering how to make them better but enjoyed them so much I'm not sure where to go next.

The attached picture was from the first batch that was not baked as long and had fresh onions on top. The oil I added to the onions messed up the browning a bit I think. The all the rest have been already eaten.

Sadly I'm traveling and oven-less for the next week so I can't try again for a while.
          Last edited by acbova; 09-27-2009, 07:38 AM. Reason: Added a Picture

Comment

Working...
          X