spent grain bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: spent grain bread

So, I finally got around to brewing a couple of days ago (Scottish Wee Heavy, OG 1.080) mainly so I would have some spent grain (17 lbs) to play around with. I also saved a couple of quarts of sweet wort to use for liquid/sweetener. With the beer bubbling happily it was time to see what I could do with the sg. Since I bake mostly with sourdough anyway, I decided to forgo any extra yeast and just go natural - probably not the best decision since my starter has been kind of flakey lately. After going through a lot of recipes for spent grain bread and my own experience with other kinds of bread I came up with the following recipe:

100g Sourdough Starter (@ 100% Hydration)
    190g Sweet Wort
    80g Whole Wheat Flour
    240g All Purpose Flour
    160g Spent Grain (Damp)
    8g Salt

I fed my starter early in the day and let it become active before I added it to the dough. I mixed all ingredients in the evening and let them sit at room temperature overnight. In the morning I folded the dough over in the bowl a few times over the course of 2-3 hrs. I then formed the loaves and let them rise until about doubled (This is the tricky part - deciding when they have risen enough but not too much. Better to error on not quite fully risen as opposed to overrisen.) They were then baked @ 400F until the interior temperature was ~210F.

The results:

My starter never really got very active but I pressed on anyway and the dough was very slow to rise in the bowl. Since we were having the (possibly future) inlaws over for dinner, I was pressed for time and had to bake before I would have liked. I actually sliced and served the bread while it was still a bit warm and before I had a chance to sample it. I have to say when I finally got a taste of it I was shocked. It was kind like the beer - a wee heavy - but flavor wise it was some of the best I have ever made. I think I favorly impressed the (possibly future) inlaws as well as my SWMBO.

Next time I make the bread I think I'll throw a little extra yeast in. The bread being quite heavy, I think it needs a bit of help rising. Other than that this stuff is a real keeper.

Cheers,

Dwight

Comment

Re: spent grain bread

Hi Elizabeth:
      Just wanted to wish you HAPPY BIRTHDAY today and this is the last thread you've started this year (and a really good one on bread) so I'm hoping this pops up in your UserCP and you see it.

I'm still enjoying you old posts and look forward to new ones,

Take care, Dino
      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Working...
      X