Olives Home-made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olives Home-made

I once hapened to do the black ones the same way. It worked fine. You would better leave the black ones intact, I mean without sliting them or something. I once slit the blacks and their color started to pale after a couple of months.
    Hint: When you serve olives, black or green, drain them well then toss them in olive oil before going to the serving dish. That gives a noticeably better look and taste. You can even rinse them well in water first if they were rather salty.
    Last edited by v12spirit; 05-05-2015, 04:21 PM.
    Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
    I forgot who said that.

Comment

Re: Olives Home-made

If they are over salted in their brine they last longer,but taste too salty.
      We always removed a few weeks worth from the main batch and had them in plain water in the fridge,this perks them up and removes the saltiness to a a more palatable level.

Comment

Anyone with good simple recipes.
        Calamata and mission olives making your own the simple way.......
        Your own personal way........i can google and get books, but lets see what transpires.
        Also , how is the best way to store them

Comment

My olives are going great, I've got more than I can eat, but what the heck, I can always give some away.
          A month or so ago, I went to prune the tree, and noticed it still had quite a few fully ripe solid black olives on it. The missus really only enjoys olives on pizza, and the shriveled black ones are the go, apparently.
          So, nothing ventured, nothing gained, I picked a couple vegemite jars of black ones before I pruned the tree. I gave the olives a rinse, put a couple large spoonfuls of cooking salt in each jar and put em on the cupboard. I turned the jars over and shook them occasionally to make sure the olives all stayed in contact with the salt. They shrivelled up and acquired an interesting odour. They tasted great on last night's pizza. I rinsed the adhering salt off them before I put 'em on. Just little salty flavour bombs as you work through the pizza. Magnificent.
          I've rinsed them all now. They've shrunk so much they all fit in one jar so I've put em in a fresh jar with a cup of olive oil.

The course is clear for me from now on:
          Green and red olives in "floating egg" brine a la v12spirit, Left to ferment to that lovely slightly bitter salty fruitiness that is as good as my neighbour Socsy's olives.
          Black ones dry salted then rinsed and tossed in oil.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post

The course is clear for me from now on:
            Green and red olives in "floating egg" brine a la v12spirit, Left to ferment to that lovely slightly bitter salty fruitiness that is as good as my neighbour Socsy's olives.
            Black ones dry salted then rinsed and tossed in oil.
            Good to know the black ones have ended up fine. Now is the season of olive harvest. My wife has just finished smashing the green ones,. A person gave us a recipe for increased crispiness that we will try this year: to soak the smashed olives in water and change the water daily for 4 days or until an acceptable bitterness is achieved, then to put the olives in a "floating egg" brine added to it a teaspoon of citric acid -for crispiness- and a teaspoon of sugar -to adjust the salt and acid-- per mid size jar. This technique is claimed to give fruits that will remain crispy with a lovely green colour for a year+. Another tip for crispiness is to use noniodized salt. We are trying it this year.
            Last edited by v12spirit; 10-21-2015, 01:22 PM.
            I forgot who said that.

Comment

V12Spirit,

It's great! to see you back on the forum. I've been concerned about you lately. I hope that you and your's are all safe and well.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by v12spirit View Post
                My wife has just finished smashing the green ones,.
                You are a lucky man. I'm trying to imagine where the brick would end up if I gave my wife a bucket of olives and a half brick and told her to get on with it..
                Good to see you are still with us.

Comment

Joe, Mick,

Thanks for your care mates. Kind of you to be concerned. I truly appreciate it. I am lucky for having a good wife and good friends too.
                  I forgot who said that.

Comment

Working...
                  X