Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roasting and Grill with WFO in the Big Easy, New Orleans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roasting and Grill with WFO in the Big Easy, New Orleans!

No fires as of yet. Lots of rain, hot weather and to many hours at work .
    I am a little afraid that if I start cooking that I will not finish the decorative stuff. The way it is looking right now that will probably be on after the start of "Bounty Season" .
    Geauxe Saints!
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Tu,

Like your new thread on cooking in the WFO. I am putting you in the same category as Karanga Dude....
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Russell,

I wouldn't put myself in the same category as Karanga Dude because he is at another level. I am just a guy who is trying to cook a meal for the wife so that she won't yell at him for spending too much time with on the WFO project.
        Last edited by banhxeo76; 10-22-2012, 07:04 PM.
        Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

I butterflied a whole chicken and marinated (paprika, onion, garlic, mustard, black pepper, salt) it for about 6 hours. I heated up the WFO for about 3 1/2 hour. When the WFO temp was about 550 degree, I pushed the chicken into the WFO. After 45 minutes, I checked on the chicken and it was done perfectly. Let it rest for 15 minutes and we went out of town with it. It was the best chicken that I have ever cooked. The skin was crispy and the meat was very juicy. Not a bad Sunday night meal at all. My picky two years old son loves it.

One key advice that I learn from watching a short segment on Anthony Bourdain’s “No Reservation” which the great American Chef, Thomas Keller suggested that you should let the chicken sit at room temperature one hour before you cooked it to ensure that chicken cooked evenly.

Can’t wait for Thanksgiving! I have to cook one bird for my side of family and another bird my wife side of the family too.
          Last edited by banhxeo76; 08-06-2012, 07:32 AM.
          Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Tu,

I want to be part of your family.......looks really tasty!
            Russell

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
              Tu,

I want to be part of your family.......looks really tasty!
              LOL, you don't have to be part of my family to eat my food. You will be eating the same thing in two to three months.

How is your knee doing? As soon as you are done with the dome, you won't be stressing on your knee as much. My 36 years old body had to go to see physical therapy for 3 weeks for my back after I was done with the dome. WFO's God is testing us to see if we are willing to make the sacrifice. Based on the food that I am getting out of the WFO, the pain was worth of it.
              Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Tu,

Now I really feel old, 36 huh? My daughter is almost as old as you (I'm 57). You are just a spring chicken. Still hobbling around, the home boss says I am grounded from doing any climbing up on the dome this week, so my wings are clipped right now. Have been playing with laying our the vent and decorative arch since I can do that standing on the ground. Keep up the great cooking...........
                Russell

Comment

What do you do when you have a whole chicken and some wood? You roast that damn bird in the WFO.

I marinated the chicken with a homemade paste made out of veg. oil, salt, peppercorn, mustard powder, garlic powder, and onion powder for about 24 hours. I tried to separate the skin from the meat as much as possible without tearing up the skin and marinated between the meat and the skin as well. About 90 minutes before I roasted the chicken, I take it out of the refigerator and let it rests on the cooking rack at room temperture. I put the bird in when the door temp was at 500 degree F with the skin side up. At 30 mintues, I flipped the bird over and for another 25 minutes. Finally, I flipped the bird to skin side up again to get the skin cracklin for the last 15 minutes. I cooked the bird with the insulated door closed. My daughter told me that the roasted chicken tasted "heavenly".

I don't know about your guys, but I am starting to look at roadkill differently every since I have a WFO.
                  Last edited by banhxeo76; 10-22-2012, 02:17 PM.
                  Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

ugg road kill? Hey I have a bunch of racoons I have been trying to catch all summer long. Want me to send them your way.........
                    Russell

Comment

Everyone's pictures look fantastic. I think a future visit to Louisiana is in order!

Happy grillin'!

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                        ugg road kill? Hey I have a bunch of racoons I have been trying to catch all summer long. Want me to send them your way.........
                        I woudn't tempt Tu,
                        If you remember, way back at the beginning of his build, The Mistress. and also (maybe) the slogan made famous by a very popular bumper sticker down here about an umpteen years ago.

Coonasses make better lovers..........
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

......... Because they will eat anything
                          Last edited by Gulf; 10-22-2012, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                            ......... Because they will eat anything

Well....I am not going to disagree with that......
                            Last edited by banhxeo76; 10-22-2012, 06:51 PM.
                            Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

My wife told me that she was in the mood for beef stew. Since dat WFO was still hot from Sunday fire and I had some meat in the freezer, I figured....sure, why not!? My house is only 10 minutes from my work. I went home and prep the stew. I placed the pot into the WFO when the door temp was reading at 325 degree F and went back to work. After 3 ? hours, I took it out of WFO and dinner was almost done. Put some saut? mushrooms and pearl onions into the stew and dinner was ready. I used Julia Child?s recipe. Not bad for a Monday night meal.
                              Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

One of my favorite things to eat is Roasted pork belly with vermicelli rice noodle. It is traditional eaten during a Vietnamese’s engagement party or a big celebration. However, this is dish is just too delicious to wait for an engagement party.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1761.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	292081
                                I started with the brining process by soaking the pork belly (meat candy) for about 24 hours so that the favor can be penetrated inside of the meat.

I let the pork belly rest on a wire rack at room temperature for 60 minutes. I poured two cups of water into the pan so that it could help the pork belly to cook evenly and loaded it inside of the WFO when the door temperature was at 350 degree F.

Name:	IMG_1763.JPG
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	292082
                                After 60 minutes, I checked on the pork and the thickest section of the belly was reading 170 degree F. I took it out and started poking on the skin. As the liquid fat began to ooze out of the skin, I wiped with paper towel.

Name:	IMG_1764.JPG
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	292083
                                I poured coarse salt over the skin and let the salt absorbed any additional liquid fat that may ooze out during this resting period which will last about 60 minutes. It is important to get the skin to dry during the resting period so that you can get the skin to cracklin during the final stage of cooking.

After 60 minutes, I would scrapped most of the salt off of the skin and poked some more holes on the skin and wiped any liquid fat that may ooze out.

At this point, instead of putting more wood to recharge WFO to get the temperature to about 550 degree F. I decided just to use the gas oven inside of my house for the last portion of the cook since it only took about 15 minutes to caramelize the meet and cracklin up the skin. No point of wasting any wood and time.

I set the gas oven on boil, and applied a thin coat of soy-sauce, hoisin sauce, water, and this premix package from the Asian store.

Name:	IMG_1417.JPG
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	292080
                                I applied three thin coats of sauce while it is being char boiled about 6 inches from the fire. As you can see, I wrapped some aluminum foil to cover the skin because I don’t want the skin on the edge to cracklin up at this point yet so the edge of the skin won’t be burnt when it is time to cracklin the skin side. When the meat side of the belly was caramelized to my desire, I flipped it over to have the skin side up.

Name:	IMG_1765.JPG
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	292084
                                Last edited by banhxeo76; 11-01-2012, 12:35 PM.
                                Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Working...
                                X