Roast coffee beans???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roast coffee beans???

On the contrary, it's far more repeatable than any of the many electric machines I've used over the years. I stir the beans until they are exactly where I want them to be (well into the second crack, in my case) and pull the beans at exactly that moment. I can slow the roast down or speed it up almost instantly. I can repeat a roast I like much more precisely, if I pay attention, then I ever could in an electric machine.

Of course, you can get distracted, and mess things up, but that's true with most cooking. It's certainly true with bread.

I've home roasted for over ten years. The results from the electric machines were not terribly consistent. If you just "let her rip" and let the machine roast according to its timing sequence, factors such as age of the green, humidity, and, particularly, ambient temperature, affected the results. If you tried to control the machine on the fly, as some allow, your visibility of the beans was generally poor and, at least for me, it was difficult if not impossible to hear the cracks over the noise of the machine and the extractor needed to vent the smoke. The result was certainly much better than buying roasted beans at the local supermarket, but not nearly as good as what I could get from any of the better mail order roasters.

I've known people who claimed to get very good results tricking out the electric roasters with PIDs and so forth, but the stock machines I've used were good, but not great.

Roasting in the WFO lets me hear the cracks far better, observe the process of the roast, and control the profile. I'm not sure my results are as good as the best of the mail order craft roasters (Barry Jarrett used to be my favorite source) but the results using my WFO are a lot closer to them than I ever accomplished with the electric devices.

I'd say the improvement I've seen using the WFO rather than a kitchen appliance roasting coffee is comparable to the improvement I've seen in my bread. Which is a considerable improvement. Not as great as the improvement in grilling a steak or making pizza, where no kitchen appliance comes close, but a major improvement.

Karl

Comment

Here is the design I am working on. It consists of two 9-inch stainless steel strainers clamshelled together. A 3' long drive shaft is attached to a small cordless rotisserie motor, which stands outside in the cool air.

I can quickly remove the roaster from the stand, pull it from the oven, and dis-assemble it to aid in the cooling of the beans. The motor needs to sit outside to keep it from cooking. I am also thinking of putting a notch in the door, to allow the drive shaft to come through.

Comment

A couple of thoughts on your design.

1. I'm a little concerned about putting the basket in the middle of the oven. I imagine you intend to have the fire going (i.e. you won't be pulling it before you roast), in which case it's going to be really, really hot in there, at least if the fire has been going any length of time. I roast in the entrance where it is much cooler.

2. You wouldn't have much control over temperature; I don't think you will be able to move the device in and out to regulate the temperature, as I do. As stated above, I think roasting in the center of the oven may be too hot.

3. I don't know if you will be able to see the color of the beans as they roast; if not, that will make it hard to know when to stop roasting. You should be able to hear the cracks if the wireless motor is quiet, but you'll want both sight and sound to judge how the roast is going.

Karl

Comment

Finally, I got a day to do some roasting! It was a lot of fun and easy. Coffee turned out fantastic! My house now smells like the "grind-it-yourself coffee aisle at the grocery store!

Comment

I gotta tell you...roasting coffee in a WFO is downright fun and relaxing. I spent the entire day, just me and my oven, listening to Pandora....and roasting coffee beans...15 pounds of it! This evening was spent in the kitchen, grinding and packing the coffee in little burlap bags. I ran out of coffee so I ordered another 10 pounds.

My house smells sooooo good!

Comment

Jeeppiper
              Any updates, lessons learned, tips and tricks on your WFO coffee roasting adventures? Just got my first batch of green beans and was going to start with a electric popcorn popper to get the feel for it. Ordered a coffee roasting drum that goes on a BBQ rotiserre. I am going to try it in the BBQ first and then rig it for the WFO.
              Greg Geisen
              Chula Vista, CA

Click to see my Thread:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...iego-6169.html

Click to see Google web album:
              http://picasaweb.google.com/gpgeisen...eat=directlink

Comment

Sounds like a great idea. Freshly roasted coffee is a big improvement on old roasted. We often roast almonds in the WFO, which are a huge improvement on non roasted.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Once I started roasting coffee, I cant go back now. That means I am firing up the oven every two weeks just to roast coffee.

Tips....I am by no means an expert, but one thing I noticed is that it is good to get an active fire going (rather than just heating up your oven. I am thinking the radiant heat is important. I spread my fire all the way around the perimeter, then stick my roaster basket (two sandwiched strainers clamshelled together) in the center.

I go strickly by roast color, rather than first-crack/second crack of the beans.

I actually demonstrated my rig to a local restaurant who has a WFO pizza oven. They are now planning to serve French-pressed coffee tableside using beans roasted in their oven.

Comment

Hi Jeep,

Be especially careful if you're judging your roast by color when you have an active fire going. Think of a novice baking a turkey or bread for the first time, brown and beautiful on the outside, raw on the inside. First and second crack of the beans are important indicators that shouldn't be over looked, there will be beans that takes half the time and others that will take twice as long to reach these stages. Just because you "Be Thinking Something", doesn't mean you "Thunk Right"! (just some humor).

Comment

Working...
                    X