Pork Spareribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pork Spareribs

Yeah I did try and start by smoking but I couldn't get the wood to smoke so I had to leave it!
    I am asking how you get your hickory wood to smoke in a WFO...

Comment

You make a fire, once the fire has reduced to embers, you place the wet wood chips on the embers and once they heat up you get smoke. Throw them on a flaming wood and you`re get fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
        You make a fire, once the fire has reduced to embers, you place the wet wood chips on the embers and once they heat up you get smoke. Throw them on a flaming wood and you`re get fire.
        There is an easier way, if you can lay hands on hickory chunks, rather than chips. These are roughly fist-sized pieces of wood. In the states you can buy a 20lb bag for ~$17 and Home Depot; not sure what's available in Oz.

I fill a quick-start chimney with hickory chunks, and put that in the WFO (depending on your entry, this may be a touch awkward). Light it with a newspaper, and let it go until the chunks are all lit (10-15 minutes). Dump the coals out onto the floor of the oven, then shove them to the back with your oven rake. If you want, throw a couple of soaked chunks on top of the pile now. Put the meat in, then close the door all the way for a few seconds to extinguish the active flame. Then crack the door open. The chunks should smoke for 1-2 hours before dying out, which gives you plenty of smokey flavor. Once the smoke is all the way gone, wrap if you want to and then close the door all the way to retain heat.
        My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...-dc-18213.html

Comment

As long as your door seals pretty well the chips just smoke rather than flame. At least that what happens in my little oven. Pork spare ribs are just so ridiculously expensive here and you are paying mostly for bone. An alternative is to slow cook some pork chops, which are way cheaper and have plenty of meat. After the fire has died and the sting is out of the oven I throw some in a baking dish with half a glass of red, throw half a handful of hickory chips on the coals, close the door fully, when they're done baste with pork spare rib sauce and put them back in for a good long roasting.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I'm cooking beef ribs tonight so I'll give the smoking part another shot.

Comment

Working...
            X