I must try Gyros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I must try Gyros

The lamb came out very nice, I will definetly use that method again. After it was cooked I removed it from the skewer and it remained in one pice, so I just pull off an inch or two and slice it for sandwiches.

The bread did not deflate after I cut it, that is why I think I baked it too long. I will get some advice on baking the pita befoere I try it again.

Loren

Comment

Loren,

The trick with pita is to use a hot floor (600F +-) and bake very quickly (a minute to a minute and a half). Once they've puffed and are lightly browned, they're done. Usually, pitas are stacked one on top of the other as they come out of the oven. This will deflate them, but the pocket remains.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I knew I was cooking it too long. I was kind of using the Bread Bakers Apprentice as a guide but I realize that recipe was for cracker bread. I will use your method next time. I am sure I will have better results.

Loren

Comment

Loren, Jim X2, Inishta, Dave....
          Cooked lamb-slices-on-a-spit tonight. (Kebabs? Gyros?[UFOs, Loren?]Equipment worked superbly, lamb was heavenly, but (shame), the cook is a mug. Talk about unko! Sheesh!!
          Still haven't secured a divorce, so guess it's worth another shot.(That was our first bash in the 'new' oven).
          Have an image , , but unsure how to transfer from "my pictures" to FB "Insert Image".
          All polite suggestions welcome, eh.
          Luddite Jeff the.

Comment

Jeff, I sent you a message, hope it helps.
            An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Hi Jeff............if still unsure e-mail them to me or another member and have them put on site. You'll get the hang of it in no tme.

Comment

This is a photo of Jeffs spit.............looks like a very handy device for kebabs/gyros. For these I don't think a hot oven would be needed. Just a small fire would do the trick.

Last edited by Inishta; 01-21-2008, 12:16 AM.

Comment

I like it. Sounds like the answer to rotisarie and WFO.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Well,
                    The Luddite has once again paid the price of ignorance.
                    My note of thanks to Inish and Acoma has just gone to the Big Black hole in the Internet Sky.
                    Briefly, thanks fellers, and Acoma, I'm getting a slotted ss door plasma-cut for use with the spit. Image to follow. Hahaha.
                    (I'll post this before it shoots through on me).
                    Idiot Jeff.

Comment

Nice looking spit I.J. You put a stainless door on there with a hole for the rotisery and you could probably start your own forum. I would join.

I.J. the administrater. Kinda has a ring to it eh?

Keep us posted when the door comes.
                      Always a pleasure deciphering your posts!

dusty

Comment

Jeff, we receive your emails, so are you saying you are not getting ours? As for advice and guidence, any one of us are willing to step up to help. This should be as enjoyable as possible. If you are taking the building of an oven seriously, you will find that the rewards outway any pain. I hope this helps. And Jeff, you are not an idiot, your verbage is often times one of difficulty in deciphering. But that is fun as well. Be yourself, have fun, and share the experience.
                        Acoma

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

yep: maybe this time.
                          (WFO lamb and dumpling stew, 2 hours at about 120 C. (250 F?)

Comment

Fellers,
                            I reckon me Dog and meself share similar feelings wrt the Net.

Canine Jeff

Comment

To those from FB who assist: thanks eh. The fault does not lie with you: contrary to Acoma's comment, I truly am an idiot wrt the Net.
                              Anyway, if all goes well, an image of the Luddite and Tiny should accompany this script.(Note the old spit and WFO raw materials in the background; giggles eh.)
                              Ludd the Ite, Jeff.
                              ps: both Son and Son in law are in this 'IT' shebang. Yet nothing rubs off ???
                              Point taken, eh. jh.
                              pps: if no image appears, I'll run it via one of my agents, so stay tuned, eh. jh.

Comment

"Well there you go" says the cow, who'd been artifically inseminated some time previously:
                                (She knew something wonderful had happened, but couldn't quite figure it.)

Gees, me Young Feller's been on good pasture since he left home eh? Really shows in images. Sigh/laugh/sigh/rejoice...... sigh.
                                James, apologies for being extravagrant with your web space, but I still struggle with image reduction.
                                Thanks you mob (and you know who you are).
                                Jeff the Luddite.

Comment

Working...
                                X