Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuscan Grill

James,

What can you tell us about the Tuscan grill to which you referred in another post?

Would you post some pictures and tell us more about using them?

Michael
    aka PizzaMan

Grilling inside a brick oven

Michael,

Here is a photo of the grill. It's cast iron, 14"x14"x4". Large enough to hold two butterflied chickens, or steaks, chops, salmon filets, etc. I think grilling inside a brick oven is a lot of fun. The cast iron grill gets really hot, so you get good sear marks, and because there is moist heat in the oven above and below the grill, you get a moist and juicy result. For medium heat grilling, you can set the grill on a clear floor, and for higher heat you can pull coals under the grill. Juices hit the cooking floor and vaporize.

I've done marinades and dry rubs. Fish is excellent.

I will take more photos of cooking food and post some recipes. The grill is $40, and it is on the Forno Bravo Store.

http://fornobravo.com/store/product....cat=250&page=1
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Tuscan Grill Pics

The Tuscan Grill from the Forno Bravo store is a huge home run. I posted pics of it in action at www.texaspizzaoven.com

Jay

Comment

Re: Tuscan Grill

Just recieved my Tuscan Grill today. Will be initiating it this weekend. I will post my opinions afterwords. My wife is really getting into wanting to try more things in the oven. Her fear was that it would only be useful for pizza and we would soon tire of it. Since then its been pizza one night then roasting or smoking the next day from the same fire. So far Smoked ribs and corn twice, whole roasted chicked(beer can method), Potatoes and peppers,marinated pork shoulder, more corn. This week will be pizza night, then ribeye steak (on the new grill) and vidalia onions and marinated portobello mushrooms - also on the grill. I may do a Grouper grilling day,maybe on the 4th

Comment

James, so if I'm going to grill a couple of big ribeyes I don't need to put a pan underneath to catch all that yummy grease? Just let it steam away? That makes it real easy then, no clean up.

thanks for all your help

Comment

Hey Richie,
            Sorry for the slow response. It's pretty cool. The drippings hit the hot floor (or your coals), and are vaporized into a flavorful steam. You don't need any type of pans. The floor of your oven is hot enough to bake away any remaining food -- it's like the self-clean cycle every time you use it.
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James -- Do you use this instead of a roasting rack for roast lamb etc? If not what is your roasting rack made of? What metal is likely to stand up best to the heat of a WFO?

Comment

Hey Virgil,

So far, I have used the Tuscan Grill for everything -- except for the vertical chicken roaster. Does anyone have another rack they like?

Also, we have had occasional questions on a rotisserie, but I have never rigged one up.

Does anyone have instructions or photos for that?
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hey Virgil,

So far, I have used the Tuscan Grill for everything -- except for the vertical chicken roaster. Does anyone have another rack they like?

Also, we have had occasional questions on a rotisserie, but I have never rigged one up.

Does anyone have instructions or photos for that?
                  James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I just received a Tuscan Grill for Christmas. Waiting for the snow to melt before using. Where do you position it in the oven? Do you put it in before the fire is started?

How about moving things around on it. Is it difficult to reach in and flip a steak for instance? I have long tools to work with pizza, but no long "steak flipper".
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

Mike, when I use my Tuscan grill I pull a bed of coals out toward the landing (not past the back edge of the vent) and set the grill on top. I let it heat up for at least 10 minutes before I put the food on. The long handled tools my husband uses on the regular grill work fine with it. I use the tongs to flip the steak. If you poke the coals as they lose their red glow they stay hot quite a while. If you blow on them, though, you get cinders on your food, not good eats.

I really like the grill. It's got good surface area and is manageable to move around. I get great grill marks with it! I'd almost forgotten the taste of wood-grilled food over the gas grill. Best steak ever.

I store my grill inside the gas grill, by the way. Old gassy doesn't get used much anymore....
                      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Elizabeth, you've got me sold on the Tuscan Grill. I'm sure steaks are much better over coals than the gas grill. I don't remember the last time I've cooked on coals. Though I'm obviously not rushing my build, I can't wait to finish and start cooking. I was just looking thru FB's tools sets, saw the grill and searched it to find this thread. Thanks,- Dino
                        "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Has anyone used the Tuscan Grill in the smaller Primavera 60, or 70 ovens?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
                            Mike, when I use my Tuscan grill I pull a bed of coals out toward the landing (not past the back edge of the vent) and set the grill on top. I let it heat up for at least 10 minutes before I put the food on. The long handled tools my husband uses on the regular grill work fine with it. I use the tongs to flip the steak. If you poke the coals as they lose their red glow they stay hot quite a while. If you blow on them, though, you get cinders on your food, not good eats.

I really like the grill. It's got good surface area and is manageable to move around. I get great grill marks with it! I'd almost forgotten the taste of wood-grilled food over the gas grill. Best steak ever.

I store my grill inside the gas grill, by the way. Old gassy doesn't get used much anymore....
                            Elizabeth,

Can you give me some details about your process of getting ready to grill? Particularly how long it takes to be ready to grill some steaks properly.

Thanks,
                            Chris
                            Chris

Link to my photo album:
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

This is the grill I use. The grill plate is from a gas bbq that expired and I fitted it to a round bar frame. It is 15" x 9" and 7" high. My oven is 36" with a high dome so it fits ok. I see that the FB one is much lower.

It just slips into the oven amongst the coals, I heat if for 5 minutes and it takes 2 minutes each side for a medium/rare T Bone.

As moist and tasty as any steaks I have eaten. Whole pan size fish cook fine this way as well but I usually wrap the fish in foil to retain the juices. It takes a little longer in the foil but worth the doing! I haven't used this to grill chicken yet but I can just see a split marinated chicken turning golden on top of this.

The grill is also useful for grilling capsicum (sweet peppers?) sit them on the grill over the coals until they char on the outside and the skins just slide off they are then easily prepared to store in olive oil with a clove of garlic.

I find this a very useful tool.
                              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Working...
                              X