Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Croissants

Gee, (blushing) Jay

Those words coming from someone that I respect and admire for your knowledge an ability with breads, Thank you.

We missed you, you disappeared off the radar screen for a while. I figured you were off on a trip. Argentina??? Hope you had a great time.

Faith

Comment

One of the most amazing fishing trips of my charmed life. (Highlights: Howler monkeys, toucans, watching a 15 pound fish (in a river) on my line be eaten by a 40+ pound fish, and catching a 20 pound sea run brown trout). A truly amazing two weeks of fish, wine, food, and no amazing bread like your croissants! Those photographs are stunning! Kudos galore!

Bravo!
      JaY

Comment

Oh my gosh.

Those things look unbelievable.

Comment

Any hint at a recipe? Wow my mouth is watering so much it is embarrassing! LOL I'm drooling more than my Black Lab
          Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
          Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
          Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

Sure Aegis, This is from Suas's Advanced Bread and Pastry.

Just dragging this out of my spread sheet so I hope it's okay. He called for Osmotolerant Instant Yeast and I don't have that so I converted it to Active dry.

Can't get the #'s separated from the spread sheet. You will see ingredient then amount in grams as ###.### then the bakers percentage.

Croissant Dough / no preferments
            Bread and pastry (Suas Page # 331

Number of 2 pound dough 1

Bread Flour 499.660 100.0%
            Water 191.359 38.3%
            Milk 113.398 22.7%
            Sugar 63.786 12.8%
            Salt 10.631 2.1%
            Active Dry Yeast 11.516 2.3%
            Malt 2.500 0.5%
            Butter 21.262 4.3%
            Total Yield 914.113

Butter for roll-in 226.796 24.8%

2.02 pounds

Mixing
            Add all the ingredients to the mixing bowl.
            Mix on first speed for 4 to 5 minutes and about 5 minutes on second speed
            Desired dough temperature: 72?F to 77?F

Bulk Fermentation
            45 minutes to 1 hour

Retard
            Retard for 8 to 15 hours at 40?F

Lamination
            Three single folds.
            Rest 30 minutes between folds.

Dividing and Shaping
            Assorted shapes

Final Fermentation
            1-1/2 to 2 hours at 78?F (65% Relative Humidity)

Baking
            Egg wash
            With steam (2 seconds) 385?F
            13 to 15 Minutes
            Last edited by Faith In Virginia; 04-13-2013, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Faith,
              With steam (2 seconds)?
              I know this came from your WFO, is the steam 2 seconds of spray from a plant sprayer? How do "you" do your steam in the WFO?

Thanks

Chris
              Last edited by SCChris; 04-13-2013, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
                Sure Aegis, This is from Suas's Advanced Bread and Pastry.

Just dragging this out of my spread sheet so I hope it's okay. He called for Osmotolerant Instant Yeast and I don't have that so I converted it to Active dry.

Can't get the #'s separated from the spread sheet. You will see ingredient then amount in grams as ###.### then the bakers percentage.

Croissant Dough / no preferments
                Bread and pastry (Suas Page # 331

Number of 2 pound dough 1

Bread Flour 499.660 100.0%
                Water 191.359 38.3%
                Milk 113.398 22.7%
                Sugar 63.786 12.8%
                Salt 10.631 2.1%
                Active Dry Yeast 11.516 2.3%
                Malt 2.500 0.5%
                Butter 21.262 4.3%
                Total Yield 914.113

Butter for roll-in 226.796 24.8%

2.02 pounds

Mixing
                Add all the ingredients to the mixing bowl.
                Mix on first speed for 4 to 5 minutes and about 5 minutes on second speed
                Desired dough temperature: 72?F to 77?F

Bulk Fermentation
                45 minutes to 1 hour

Retard
                Retard for 8 to 15 hours at 40?F

Lamination
                Three single folds.
                Rest 30 minutes between folds.

Dividing and Shaping
                Assorted shapes

Final Fermentation
                1-1/2 to 2 hours at 78?F (65% Relative Humidity)

Baking
                Egg wash
                With steam (2 seconds) 385?F
                13 to 15 Minutes
                THANKS Faith! I'll try this next weekend, I am still tied up with yard work and other mundane chores this weekend. Faith, did you put the dough in the fridge or freezer between laminations?
                I know this will be challenging for sure!
                Again thanks
                John
                Last edited by Aegis; 04-13-2013, 05:11 PM.

Comment

SCChris, No, in the WFO I just put them in with no steam. I am working on a steam injection system for the WFO. My last bake was a real eye opener for me. I baked the same bread with different junk on the loaf. Plain went in the oven first, seeded went in second and cheese went in last. The first loaves had some blowouts the seeded had less and the cheese had none. So loading order greatly affected the outcome and this I can fix with steam injection. When I get it up and running I will share pictures and process.

John, Normally the fridge is fine but if it takes a long time to roll or your kitchen is hot and you notice the dough really softening up I do the freezer. The trick is to keep the dough and the butter at the same softness. Don't let your butter get real soft or you won't get the lamination. Keep it cool...but not cold

Comment

Considering the proofer you mention at TFL, I'm betting you're doing full loads each time.. I look forward to seeing the steamer.

Chris

PS I have proofer envy!!

Comment

Yes, doing full loads. The problem is by the time you start the load to the time you close the door the first loaves are going into a dry oven and it takes a bit of time for the steam from the loaves to start. The first loaves in has the crust setting before the oven spring. Pre-mopping and spraying don't do much on a 42" oven. So this steam injection can be working even while loading the oven. It will also allow for smaller loads.

If you have proofer envy then I won't tell you about my other toys. Just got a dough hook today for the 20 Quart. I should post some pictures of my kitchen.

Comment

Yes, doing full loads. The problem is by the time you start the load to the time you close the door the first loaves are going into a dry oven and it takes a bit of time for the steam from the loaves to start. The first loaves in has the crust setting before the oven spring. Pre-mopping and spraying don't do much on a 42" oven. So this steam injection can be working even while loading the oven. It will also allow for smaller loads.

If you have proofer envy then I won't tell you about my other toys. Just got a dough hook today for the 20 Quart. I should post some pictures of my kitchen.
                        Hi Faith,
                        I have a 42" oven and have tried using a pan with bolts in it as a pre-steamer, I am a little bread challenged and not sure if this is helping or not. Right before the load I spray the oven and then load and re-spray. Then have a wet towel hung on the inside of the door and close it up. The towel does two things, steam & seals the door better. Again, I am not sure if this is helping much as I have yet to get a good "ear" on my bread. Not sure if they are over proofed or under steamed? rosemary olive breads in the pics.
                        btw: definitely need pics of your toys! LOL

Comment

An active steamer would really facilitate the early bake, and again I'll be envious. Faith, Please give us a photo tour of your workshop and all of the toys and tools..

Speaking of new tools I've been following Pip's new 4' by 6, oven on TFL at PiPs's blog | The Fresh Loaf

I'm not clear of the specifics of the insulation under the floor, but vermicrete and blanket insulation are clearly used. This is a very nice oven. I note that the ration of air space to deck area in this Allan Scott style oven seems significantly less than in our Pompeii style ovens. Of course if this is so, then less steam would be needed. It really shows the contrast between a specific use commercial bread oven and a more general use Pompeii design. I need to be clear that I love my Pompeii but if I were going to do bread in commercial volume the rectangular floor is a real plus, a full width door for loading and unloading would also be a huge plus for getting loaves in an out.

I’m still formulating a loader for my 42" oven. I may have something in 2 weeks or so.

Chris
                          Last edited by SCChris; 04-14-2013, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Nice looking loaves Aegis, I agree with you even with spraying and other moisture inducing methods I don't know how much of a help it is. After watching the commercial deck oven flood the compartment with steam...that is my goal.

Chris...Between my blowout loaves and your post about making a loader you have introduced a design change to my big oven that I'm planning. The door will be much wider to accept a loader and fill the oven in one shot. I will be looking for you to work out mechanics and happy to copy and reproduce one when you get it working.

I have some real reservations about the Allen Scott oven design. I like the barrel vault oven but his method of support I question. The whole oven is supported on a free hanging rebar system... just don't trust that over time.

If you look at commercial WFO's and white ovens the ceiling of the oven is quite low. I know that would help the steaming process.

Comment

I have some real reservations about the Allen Scott oven design. I like the barrel vault oven but his method of support I question. The whole oven is supported on a free hanging rebar system... just don't trust that over time.

If you look at commercial WFO's and white ovens the ceiling of the oven is quite low. I know that would help the steaming process.
                              It does look like the vermicrete goes down on a wood frame and rebar and concrete are layered over this insulation layer followed by the brick floor. I could be wrong on the structure supporting the vermicrete. Does this look like what was done to you?

I've seen a AS build with steel I beams supporting the sidewalls and these 2 beams were then tied to each other, bolted together, by large diameter all thread. Here is the Link. http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/297...l-wfo-progress I should have remembered that you, Faith, had been there. I don't ever recall seeing an AS oven with rigid CalSil like insulation under the deck. I think I'd entertain putting 3" or more of rigid insulation under the floor and on the sides and put 3" or more ceramic blanket on the roof. The thrust of the side walls must be especially significant over time with the thermal expansion and contraction, I imagine a wedge pushing harder and harder until things finally pop! Unless of course, the engineering is accepting of these stresses. Anyway, it's a puzzle..

:-)

Chris

PS found it!! The Steel I beam AS build is above..
                              Last edited by SCChris; 04-15-2013, 08:33 AM.

Comment

John, Normally the fridge is fine but if it takes a long time to roll or your kitchen is hot and you notice the dough really softening up I do the freezer. The trick is to keep the dough and the butter at the same softness. Don't let your butter get real soft or you won't get the lamination. Keep it cool...but not cold
                                Hi Faith, I tried your recipe and it came out tasting better than I thought I could do, but from the pics you can see the lamination's were not there at all.
                                I think the butter got too soft... any help would be appreciated.
                                I did make some square with chocolate inside and my wife is hoarding those from everyone! LOL
                                Thanks
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X