web analytics
Sweet Potatos - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Community Cookbook Recipe Contest

Do you have a wood fired recipe that gets rave reviews from family and friends? Now is your opportunity to not only share it with other wood fired chefs and enthusiasts, but get rewarded, too! Starting June 1 through July 30, 2016 we are holding a Summer Wood Fired Recipe Contest and the winner will receive a $75.00 shopping spree in the Forno Bravo Store.

Submit your recipes through the Forno Bravo Community Cookbook “Submit a Recipe” button. The winner will be based on the number of votes the recipe receives. A link to the recipes will be posted on the Forno Bravo Facebook, Google+, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest pages and the Forum. To be eligible to win, your recipe must include a photo of the dish being cooked in your wood fired oven.
See more
See less

Sweet Potatos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sweet Potatos

    I tried the recipe from the last newsletter that had you put the sweet potato directly in the oven.

    The results were mixed. Indeed, the process was dramatic and the product was beautiful, but the taste was less than stellar.

    It was a little bland.

    I find that the taste was better if you put the sweet potato on aluminium foil in a cast iron skillet at 350f for 3 hours. It is slow enough for the sugars to caramelize and develop that wonderful sweetness.

    I am going to keep the old tried and true method. Also, my wife likes the original method of cooking the potatoes.

  • #2
    Re: Sweet Potatos

    Originally posted by navyintel View Post
    I tried the recipe from the last newsletter that had you put the sweet potato directly in the oven.

    The results were mixed. Indeed, the process was dramatic and the product was beautiful, but the taste was less than stellar.

    It was a little bland.

    I find that the taste was better if you put the sweet potato on aluminium foil in a cast iron skillet at 350f for 3 hours. It is slow enough for the sugars to caramelize and develop that wonderful sweetness.

    I am going to keep the old tried and true method. Also, my wife likes the original method of cooking the potatoes.
    Don't blame it on the cooking method, you had bland potatoes. If you have a really good potato, when cooked in your oven, it will caramelize into a sticky, honey, mind bending delicious, mouth watering delicacy. That I promise that you will not want to share with anyone.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Sweet Potatos

      Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
      Don't blame it on the cooking method, you had bland potatoes. If you have a really good potato, when cooked in your oven, it will caramelize into a sticky, honey, mind bending delicious, mouth watering delicacy. That I promise that you will not want to share with anyone.
      I forgot to mention that I cooked up 4 more potatoes in the WFO using the old method from the retained heat from last night's on the coals event. Same potatoes, different method, results as stated.

      However, I will try it again since they are cheap and I very much want this method to work! It is always better to have two methods of cooking the same thing. One while you are heating the oven up and one on the down side. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Sweet Potatos

        Hi Smartnavyguy,

        Get potatoes from another source, could be a bad crop.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Sweet Potatos

          Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
          ......... mind bending delicious, mouth watering delicacy. That I promise that you will not want to share with anyone.
          This sounds like some of the mushrooms that we did back in the 60's .
          joe watson

          "A year from now, you will wish that you had started today "

          My Build
          My Picasa Web Album

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Sweet Potatos

            Originally posted by Gulf View Post
            This sounds like some of the mushrooms that we did back in the 60's .
            With the SHROOMS, you wanted to share, you wanted the world to see what you saw. Remember?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Sweet Potatos

              Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
              With the SHROOMS, you wanted to share, you wanted the world to see what you saw. Remember?
              I woke up this mornin' with the sundown shinin' in
              I found my mind in a brown paper bag, but then...
              I tripped on a cloud and fell eight miles high
              I tore my mind on a jagged sky
              I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in......
              Kenny Rogers is a USA country music ledgend now. Here is what he looked like back in the day.

              It's difficult to believe that we survived that sht or did we: .
              Last edited by Gulf; 03-17-2013, 06:47 PM. Reason: Update
              joe watson

              "A year from now, you will wish that you had started today "

              My Build
              My Picasa Web Album

              Comment

              Working...
              X