Jerk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerk

Well venison jerky that is. More low,low oven temp usage of my oven.

Fall is here and dear and bear hunting season will be in full swing soon. I have a friend that owns a farm and is able to get a damage permit so his hunting season is year round for him.

Anyway I was given a bunch of venison (again) so this time I made venison jerky and ground up a bunch. All in all it worked out to 6 pounds of jerky and 8 pounds of ground venison.

I made three marinades..

2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
    2/3 cup soy sauce
    2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon honey

The next

1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    2/3 cup teriyaki sauce
    2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    1 tablespoon honey

The next

3 tsp. curry powder
    5 tsp. black pepper
    3 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    3 tsp. ground ginger
    1/4 tsp. ground cloves
    1 cup red wine (dry)
    1/2 tsp. cumin

Too much time handling raw meat. Time to get back to bread.

Re: Jerk

So... How did it taste?

I like your high tech drying racks.
    Did you smoke or just dry it and at what temp?
    Chip

Comment

Hi Chip,
      All three are good. The one with curry and ginger was surprising I thought it might be overpowering but it offers a nice hint of flavor to accent the venison.

No I just dried the meat in the oven. 6 pounds of thinly sliced venison covers a large surface area. It took two runs in the oven. The oven was at 190 F and I left the door slightly cracked. It took about 3 hours for the thickness of the meat that I sliced.

The racks are a bit makeshift nothing like expanded steel and 2x6 blocks. :-)

My oven is a total shit mess. Time to put it in the self cleaning mode and get a big fire going.

I also need to put the jerky up, put some in the freezer. Right now its in a busy walking path to the back door of the house. So you walk outside ...grab a piece...come back inside....grab a piece...

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
        My oven is a total shit mess. Time to put it in the self cleaning mode and get a big fire going.

I also need to put the jerky up, put some in the freezer.
        That first fire will clean it right up. My brother does a lot of smoking in a traditional upright smoker and he was amazed at how easy it was to clean my oven after smoking, he thought my bread would take on a smoky flavor but after a good burn the bricks are nice and white and the floor clean as a whistle.

Yes I know about the temptation the smell alone draws you right to the jerkey, hard to keep your hands off it.
        Chip

Comment

Faith,
          Have you ever made any venison polish?

That is the big thing --northern Minnesota, there are so many deer wanting to be killed there that they run in front of your car just to die!

Sometimes the moose have the same idea, but most cars get totaled if you hit a moose!

Had a game warden friend that I told --I wanted moose meat if there ever was a road kill on his watch! He told me the list of "wanters of road kill moose" is so long, I'd probably never get a taste of it! Better apply for a moose hunting license on the lottery basis!

Lawrence says he has some Buddhist buddies that supply him occasionally with venison, maybe I could mooch a little from him!

Comment

Venison polish as in a venison sausage, Yes I have a freezer full (25 lbs anyway) I found an Italian venison sausage that I really like.

For the sausage:

1 3/4 pounds medium-ground venison meat
            8 ounces ground chuck (15 to 20 percent fat content)
            3 tablespoons dry red wine
            1 tablespoon toasted fennel seeds
            1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic (from about 5 to 6 medium cloves)
            1 tablespoon paprika
            1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
            2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
            1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
            1 teaspoon dried oregano
            1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Just had some last night in the spaghetti also great in a burger with onions and peppers.

No moose in Virginia that I know of but we have plenty of opossom :-) Hillbilly food!

Roast Opossum
            Ingredients

1 opossum
            1 cup salt

Opossum Stuffing
            1 large onion, chopped fine
            1 tablespoon fat
            opossum liver (optional)
            1 cup breadcrumbs
            chopped red pepper
            1 dash Worcestershire sauce
            1 hard-boiled egg, chopped fine
            salt, to taste

Directions

Roast Opossum:.
            The opossum is a very fat animal with a peculiarly flavored meat.
            It is dressed much as one would dress a suckling pig, removing the entrails, and if desired, the head and tail.
            After it is dressed, wash thoroughly inside and out with hot water.
            Cover with cold water to which has been added 1 cup of salt.
            Allow to stand overnight. In morning, drain off the salted water and rinse well with clear water.
            Stuff opossum with opossum stuffing (stuffing recipes next); sew opening or fasten with skewers.
            Place in roaster, add 2 tablespoons water and roast in moderate oven (350?F) until tender and richly browned, about one and one half hours.
            Baste every 15 minutes with drippings.
            Remove skewers or stitches, and place on heated platter.
            Skim fat from gravy remaining in pan.

Opossum Stuffing:.
            Brown onion in fat.
            Add finely chopped opossum liver and cook until liver is tender.
            Add crumbs, a little red pepper, Worcestershire sauce, egg, salt and water to moisten.

Comment

LOL

Got any Ground Hog recipes?

Comment

Are you using casings to make your sausages or just the ingredients w/o casings?

You are beginning to amaze and dassle me! Are you married? Your husband must be the luckiest guy in the world! You can do anything! If your not married, you just haven't found a guy worthy of you! There must be a catch or something! Are you mean, stubborn and selfish? Cannot be based on your posts! Must be only us Americans married to Japanese who have this problem! OOps... let the cat out of the bag!

Comment

Originally posted by Polo View Post
                  LOL

Got any Ground Hog recipes?
                  That sounds like a wise crack! Watch your mouth, you are talking to a lady!

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
                    That sounds like a wise crack! Watch your mouth, you are talking to a lady!
                    No wisecrack mikku, Ground Hog and Opossum would both be "Hillbilly" fare around here.

For the record though, if you have no idea what you are talking about, then sometimes it is best to keep your thoughts to yourself. Lest someone might think that this thread was named after you.

Comment

On the first part, apology accepted!
                      On the second part-Not interested in your "for the record"
                      Last edited by mikku; 10-07-2013, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Are you using casings to make your sausages or just the ingredients w/o casings?

You are beginning to amaze and dassle me! Are you married? Your husband must be the luckiest guy in the world! You can do anything! If your not married, you just haven't found a guy worthy of you! There must be a catch or something! Are you mean, stubborn and selfish? Cannot be based on your posts! Must be only us Americans married to Japanese who have this problem! OOps... let the cat out of the bag!
                        No castings, just easier for me and I tend to strip them off for most dishes anyway.

As to your other questions I find them humorous so I will give it a go.

I was married to a man from West Virginia (a true hillbilly state) If it crawled or slithered they made good fixin's. Yes Polo, ground hog is fair game but most difficult to hunt. Crafty little buggers.

After that marriage was over (for reasons other then the vittles) I decided NEVER to get married again. But...I am in a committed relationship that does not involve rings or license. (that makes it easier to find the door for both of us)

The catch...you bet there is a catch. I'm not mean , stubborn at times and never selfish but just like most people I have my issues. :-)

Comment

Well, the person you have this committed relationship not involving rings and licenses is a very lucky person!

The first time we had a discussion, I thought that you were a man! That was my mistake because of the responses that I gave. But through several conversations with friends, I became aware that you are a very exceptional person. I am happy to make your acquaintance and hope in the future that we become friends. I apologize for any stupid remarks that I made in the past. I am not some nut case like "brickie" might think. Just a person with a lot of differerent interests who appreciates other people with varying backgrounds who are free thinkers!

Comment

On the first part, apology accepted!
                            On the second part-Not interested in your "for the record"
                            Firstly that was no apology. An apology would suggest some sort of misbehavior. What I offerred was an explanation, which regrettably, is sometimes necessary to offer to people who rush to judgement.

Whether or not you were interested in the second part, you will find that my advice is sound. Following it will keep you from inserting your foot in your mouth during subsequent posts.
                            Last edited by Polo; 10-07-2013, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
                              Yes Polo, ground hog is fair game but most difficult to hunt. Crafty little buggers.
                              I've often head that young groundhog were good to eat, but I never tried it. Crafty they are, and much smarter than one would give them credit. They are my hated enemy on my property, and I kill every one of them I can.

To you, I will apologize for my exchange with mikku. There are some people on this site that I can't seem to figure out. I will keep myself from responding to him again.

Comment

Working...
                              X