X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's Bartman Cooking

Happy New Year to all,

Today's menu:
    Roast pork, sour kraut, potato dumplings, gravy, and a side of black eyes peas to keep the wife's southern roots happy, also for good luck .
    Respectfully,

KB

My build
    Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Post pictures of the finished extravaganza!

Happy New Year!

Comment

okey bart,
        aren't you happy you indulged in the WFO experience. i know i've never been happier.
        jon

Comment

Originally posted by Brad English View Post
          Post pictures of the finished extravaganza!

Happy New Year!
          Originally posted by kanoer54 View Post
          okey bart,
          aren't you happy you indulged in the WFO experience. i know i've never been happier.
          Here the picks, not much of a extravaganza. Yes happy I am, I'll be much happier when construction is complete
          Last edited by kbartman; 01-02-2014, 12:38 PM.
          Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Nice, very nice KB
            Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Ok, time to post more information on those Potato dumplings! Recipe!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad English View Post
                Ok, time to post more information on those Potato dumplings! Recipe!
                Sorry no recipe or exact formula.
                Make some mash taters season to your taste add couple eggs some flour till the mixture starts to pull away from mixing bowl. Role a very soft snake on floured surface. Cut with floured knife drop into a slow boiling pot of water. when they float place in strainer salt to taste. Put in pot with gravy.

You may have to adjust mixture till dumpling are firm not chewy or to soft.

I added diced grilled onion and parmesan to the taters this time ummm ummm
                Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Originally posted by GrahamG View Post
                  Hi,

It has been suggested that I link the posts I have made in "What we've cooked last night" together, so they can be book marked etc (Thanks Gulf for the suggestion!)

Can anyone tell me how to do this, please?
                  Graham,
                  Like this one. hope this makes sense?
                  Last edited by kbartman; 01-28-2014, 03:24 PM.
                  Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Boneless Pork Short Style Ribs.

Started my cold oven with some charcoal in the chimney starter. Added some to oak get a good bed of coals. I then browned the seasoned ribs on my home made Tuscan grill. I wrapped in foil on slow cooked about three hours, as I let the fire die down..........The ribs turned out fork tender and juices.................mmmmmmmm good
                    Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Looks fantastic, I bet it tasted good!

On a side note - Do you not have a problem with charcoal in the WFO? I heard due to the higher heat given off compared to wood, that it can crack the inside of the oven - that put me off, so never done it.
                      Where can I find logs? I need more!
                      Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by GrahamG View Post
                        Looks fantastic, I bet it tasted good!

On a side note - Do you not have a problem with charcoal in the WFO? I heard due to the higher heat given off compared to wood, that it can crack the inside of the oven - that put me off, so never done it.
                        It was fantastic, best short ribs I ever cooked.

As far as the charcoal, using the hand over the flame method I felt higher temps on a bed of oak wood coals then the briquettes. I like introducing the heat to my oven slowly. I feel when I start the oven with wood the flame's heat is very intense. I think the intense flame is what introduced my first crack on my inner arch. I used charcoal in the curing of my oven as many other have to control the heat during the process. Since then I have adapted charcoal in my start ups. I have not seen or heard of any issues. I'm open for discussion and willing to hear everyone's thoughts. As I said before I make many mistakes and don't want to lead anyone astray.
                        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Thank you for your explanation I will try this next time I fire the WFO, I thought people just used the briquettes! Makes sense now.
                          Where can I find logs? I need more!
                          Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

Time to start thinking about " Turkey Day ". The better half pick up a 24lb Bird. I will need to use a much larger pan this year............. Attached is last years picture, turned out great. Plan is to brine and slow smoke 12 to 16 hours......... Anyone else have plans of doing a "WFO Bird"?.
                            Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Hi KB,

I am contemplating it.. I usually brine the bird and then do a slow cook in the oven around 220. There is something to be said for slow and low so you don't dry out the white meat...My gas oven is somewhat unreliable at low low temperatures and there is a noticeable fluctuation between the on off cycle. I think the steady low temperature of the WFO would produce a spectacular slow cooked bird.

Here is my thought, on a turkey in the WFO. Heat the regular oven to 500 and toss the turkey in for 15min. Then into the WFO which is at 200. Leave until done. Then back into the regular oven for 15-20 minutes at 500 to make the skin crispy. Let rest 10 minutes or so and should be good for carving! (in case anyone is wondering, this is an unstuffed bird!)

I recently did a 'beer can' chicken which turned out really super. I tossed the chicken in for 2 hours. The oven was around 340 at the start and about 330 when I pulled the bird. Super juicy and the meat was falling off the bone, although my wife wanted nice crispy skin so either I use a hotter oven overall or try the finish at high heat option.

What did you use for temperature and timing on last years bird?
                              Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
                              40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

I did a turkey breast in the WFO last year...turned out amazing. I did a "dry brine" that took 3 days. I need to check the menu this year and see if we'll be doing it again. Good luck with yours.

m

Comment

Working...
                                X