• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• james
    replied
    Re: Paella!

Originally posted by Frances View Post
    My Dad found work with Ciba in Switzerland years ago, my Mom joined him when they got married. I was born, brought up English, learnt Swissgerman in School, finally married a Swiss guy. Talk English with the kids, Swiss with my husband. I suppose I'm as bilingual and bi-cultural as you can be. But not much of a story really, is it?
    We had the pleasure of being invited to a Raclette party in Switzerland a number of years ago, where everyone spoke English, French and (Swiss)German -- with a little Italian thrown in. One of the neighbors was the host of a children's TV show (it sounded like PBS without Barney), and he jumped from language to language during the show. The audience (aged 6) loved it.

I guess that's how a country with three native languages makes it work. I'm impressed.
    James

Leave a comment:

• jeff
    replied

XJim,
    Your 'Guide to Paella' is compelling. Thank you.
    Frances, your vocabulary would dwarf mine: (Tallyho chaps, what.)
    Agree that topics discussed should be expanded to include Wine, Women and Song. (Now I bet that comes as a surprise, eh.)
    Jeff.(From Australia)

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Nah, not really.

My Dad found work with Ciba in Switzerland years ago, my Mom joined him when they got married. I was born, brought up English, learnt Swissgerman in School, finally married a Swiss guy. Talk English with the kids, Swiss with my husband. I suppose I'm as bilingual and bi-cultural as you can be. But not much of a story really, is it?

I must say, its really cool to have such a multi-cultural (if single minded) forum here.

(Single minded = WFO, beer, fish and more WFO)

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied
    Well I AM British - kind of, originally

Well I AM British - kind of, originally....
    ............Ok, sounds like there is a story here Frances.....

I can say that too.....Well I AM British - kind of, originally.....Born in Singapore, grew up in CaNaDa eh!, had a british passport.....Is that why I'm happy as an expat here in Spain?.....

I've not spent much time in Switzerland but I do love the mountains.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Yep, that's a British saying...I guess... Well I AM British - kind of, originally.

"knackered" is a good word. Very useful, very descriptive.

Sometimes if I'm not careful I find myself using student slang I picked up from my parents, that's about 40 years out of date. My cousins back in England nearly died laughing the time they heard me use the expression "yoiks tallyho".

Now the Swiss would say something along the lines of "leave it lying on the left hand side".

Hmm, doesn't translate very well, does it?
    Last edited by Frances; 02-22-2008, 10:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied
    "knock the spots off it"

Is that a swiss saying?

....Seems more like a brit saying.

I learned "knackered" recently.....

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied

Kids eh? Try them on a simple chicken version...they'll get used to it.

Glad you tried it....it really is a pretty easy, flexible and forgiving dish.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

But to get back to the subject in the title, if I may...

I've often eaten Paella on holidays etc, and like it very much, but somehow I never made any. Now after reading all your Paella threads Jim, I was inspired to cook my first one for lunch today....

...and it turned out really well (for a first try). With shrimps, turkey and fish. My kids hated it and my husband loved it .

But I'll be rethinking my stock options before I make the next one though. I've got some nice all-natural non-taste-enhanced vegetable stock, but stock made of frozen left-overs will probably knock spots off it!

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Good living! Nice story. Enjoy! Can't do anything about all the building.

THere was a dramatic change in culture during the 10 years that separated my two tours in sicily. Gone were the droves of old women wearing only black, trudging to the markets each day. Traffic trippled. I've forgotten all the changes I noticed, but I was sad to see the old ways disappearing and technology taking over all aspects of life.
    George

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied

George....Vacation, work, or just living life to its fullest?

No, Vacation, Work and living life to the Fullest! Add the WFO, internet, Skype and twin grandchildren...it could always be worse!

I'm on the Costa Blanca midway between Valencia and Alicante where some World Health Official once remarked...."Environmentally Near Perfect".....Well the Mountains, weather and culture does not change much but there's sure been a lot of building in the nearly 40 years I've come here.

And the rest of the story is that James spent time here as well right next door in Denia! He and I are going to cook and drink wine some day.....

Xabia

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Jim,
    No answer for the wheat crust. All my attempts at wheat breads have been weird. It hydrates differently.

Where exactly in Spain are you, (when you're there)? I'm curious about your dual locations. I'm sure I missed a story somewhere. Vacation, work, or just living life to its fullest? Cool, regardless. Costa Brava, Costa Del Oro, Andalucia, Canary Islands, Mallorca, on and on, I loved them all! Indcredibly friendly people. Great food, great wine, everyone's happy. Always a party, although you have to go out at midnight and stay out till dawn to even get a glimpse of understanding. I'm envious in a (or many) way(s). I'd love to hear the story. Send me a link if you've posted it before. Otherwise, I'll just sit here and dream of flamico dancers working thier magic on wooden crates in small bars , out in the middle of nowhere, and the crowd clapping along in unison, urging them on. Almost a dream now....

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied

Healty?, hail yes!

We've done the brown rice now a couple of times and it's worked out fine.

I like the brown rice and whole grain breads, .... but still having issues finding the perfect wheat crust for pizza....anyone done that?

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Hey Jim,

Brown rice sounds too healthy for me. I'm using Arborio, or Carnaroli -- it's very creamy. We had Risotto tonight, after Saturday's Paella; using the same rice.

Where are you? Are you back in MI?
    James
    Last edited by james; 04-16-2007, 12:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied

James, the paella was great. Next time I do it with brown rice I will go to a 3.5:1 caldo/rice ratio to let it boil a little longer for cooking the brown rice. Reheated it was better than the first time!

I usually try and use the largest pan I can find since it's a lot of prep/work time. Leftovers are great.

I'm not sure how the thin paella pan will work in a WF oven. It's designed of thin steel for over a wood or gas fire. I've used the terracotta with good success. Now puting it over the coals in the oven and maybe that will work.

BTW, we bought some smoky paprika which is also good for adding the smoky flavor!

XJ

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Jim,
    Great photos. How did it taste?

I am happy to say that we found a Spanish Paella pan on our trip, and have already put it to work. It's a 9 place/person pan, and it is 40cm/15.7" round. It easily was big enough for a family of four, and you could make it go for 8 people by using more stuff.

We baked ours on a wood charcoal grill, so we got a smokey flavor. It brings back a lot of memories. Thinking about this, a 15.7" Paella pan will fit into most pizza ovens (not the Casa80 or Artigiano80), and we've made some pretty good Paella in our brick ovens.

This is something everyone should give a try. Here a photo of our new pan.
    James
    Last edited by james; 04-16-2007, 12:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X