Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JacksonC23
    replied
    I'll definitely try it out, looks delicious! Never had pumpkin like this before. But one question though, can I use chicken instead of beef? Or are there other changes to the ingredients I should make for it to taste good with chicken too?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Great post! I've also got to put this on my "to do" list.

I probably live in a country that is even more wasteful with food. My parents grew up during "the great depression" era. They carried that experience in the back of their minds through out the rest of their lives. Throwing away food was something that they could never bring themselves to do. My mother would have probably made a pie from the pumpkin but, the stew inside reminds me a lot of the stews she made when we were eating the freezer and pantry down to make room for more food.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-20-2018, 09:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Interesting use of a pumpkin. Gotta try that here next fall when our pumpkins are ready.

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied
    Yeah like mashed spud. Sure was sweet after being roasted in the oven.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    We often do pumpkins just like that, eat it skin and all. The pumpkin comes out like it's been mashed. Some juices usually ooze out so make sure you put it in a roasting pan.

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    started a topic Stuffed Punkin

Stuffed Punkin

Queensland Blue pumpkins were on special this week.
    So I got one, hollowed out the seeds, stuffed it with beef, spud, onion, celery, brown rice, a chopped tomato, diced chilli, beef stock, a splash of olive oil, and a little salt and pepper.
    Baked her in the wood oven for about an hour and a half.
    Delicious.
    Roast punkin sandwhiches from the leftovers.
    I've been promising myself that I'd do this one for about 30 years.

This is my favourite type of cooking. I wouldn't call myself a tight arse exactly, but I do believe we Aussies waste a lot of expensive food and I think we could all benefit from challenging ourselves to do more with less.
    So I love it when I can rustle through the freezer, find that one lost and over-looked steak to dice up, and that lonely spud in the basket that is nearing its use-by date, throw in whatever leftover veggies are in the crisper section of the fridge and produce a decent meal out of it.
    I must hang my head in shame and admit that the rolls were ready-to-bake ones from the supermarket. But at least they went in the wood oven, too!

It is one thing I wish these TV chefs would spend a little more time on though - making meals from what is at hand.
    As much as we enjoy watching a bloke shaving truffles onto his special organic free range egg omelette, there should be a few more shows where they show people how to turn ordinary everyday ingredients into not-so-everyday tucker.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wotavidone; 05-19-2018, 06:36 PM.
Working...
X