Rossco's Grande Tour 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rossco's Grande Tour 2010

I'm enjoying your vacation tour Rossco. The calamari looks delicious.

Rod
    I would have a shot at the answer, if I had the appropriate question.

Comment

Thanks Rod - just got in from the theatre and I stopped off for a quick pizza snack at a spot around the corner from the hotel.

Had a peek into the pizza place's store room to see the flour used. It was some local brand of tipo 00, but not Molino Caputo! Haven't seen that in any of the pizza places so far. Must be cost related I guess with Caputo being one of the premium brands!

Back to Rome tomorrow and Naples on Thursday. Da Michele here we come...
      / Rossco

Comment

Just walked past a garden shop and saw a big selection of tomato seeds.

Would like to take some home but they aren't allowed in Oz.

Off to the station to board a train bound for Rome...
        / Rossco

Comment

Just got in to Rome and decided we will shoot off to Lucca in Tuscany tomorrow. Have booked Naples for Friday. Been using a Eurail pass and what a bargain that has proved to be. Definitely worth considering.

Just popping over to the Colloseum quickly - it's about 15 mins away. Will be on the lookout for more pizza. Bit hungry now, haven't eaten since breakfast this morning.
          / Rossco

Comment

Lucca's lovely. It's a nice side trip.
            Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Eurail is definitely the way to go. Half the price, but you must buy it before you get to Europe. Tuscany, San Gimignano is also amazing.
              Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Had a great day in Lucca yesterday and found a really good pizza place where we had lunch. Pizza style was "thin' but still quite tasty. Running out the door to Naples this morning. Enjoy the menu snippet!
                / Rossco

Comment

Napoli
                  ====

Arrived in Naples around 3pm today and popped into Da Michele. Easy enough to find and as usual there was a crowd waiting outside. Waited about 30 mins to get in and were seated with another couple.

Placed order and got the pizza within a few minutes. I ordered a di bafala version and was soon tucking into a superb pizza. Very nice but no crisp at all and lots of charring. Never had anything like it before.

Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.
                  Last edited by heliman; 05-14-2010, 12:05 PM.
                  / Rossco

Comment

Trianon
                    =====

Near Da Michele we found the well publicised Trianon pizzeria. Nobody in sight but it did appear to be open!

Back in Rome now and have had a recommendation for a pizza place to visit here tomorrow.

Overall a good but hectic day. Left rome early this morning for Naples and walked around Pompeii and herculaneum. Lots and lots of walking was done! Jumping into bed ..... VERY tired. Getting an eay start tomorrow - still plenty to do here before we board the boat in Civitavechi on Sunday....
                    / Rossco

Comment

Today no pizza located but we went to the Vatican. A truely unpleasant experience given the hordes of people there.....

Tomorrow we head for Civitaveccia to get on the cruise boat. Next stop on Monday morning is Bastia, Corsica...
                      / Rossco

Comment

Rossco,
                        I certainly envy you your grande tour of the continent. I was last there in 04. Could I suggest you also visit some bakeries? The Italian cultivars of wheat are exceptional. The French pastries....ummmm

Mark

Comment

Hi Mark...

Tried to support the local pastry houses.

Saw this great pizzeria being built in St Tropez. Wouldn't mind getting the job as pizzaiolo there permanently!!! (pic to follow).

Currently sitting in Barcelona and will shortly be heading out to hunt for pizza. Comms for last 7 days were difficult as had to use cruise ship's satellite system at 60c per min so wasnt able to post to FB..
                          Last edited by heliman; 05-23-2010, 08:59 AM.
                          / Rossco

Comment

Welcome back to the "real" world. Look forward to catching up on your experiences!

Looks like my wife and I will be going to a cooking course near Lucca next June (year from now). Will have to get more info on your experiences there!

Eat Well!
                            Jay

Comment

Thanx Jay,

I think the "reality" will set in when I get back to work. The brain will not be ready for that experience hehehe.

Lucca was pretty good. I think you need a while there to get into the swing of things. The people are really friendly and the pizzas are woodfired so a recipe for success!!!

What course have you signed up for??? Sounds exciting!!
                              / Rossco

Comment

Hi Rossco!

We have previously done classes at a B&B in Sooke, British Columbia with Angelo Prosperi-Porta who is simply the most complete chef I know. (Grew up in an Italian family on the coast of BC, became a pastry chef, became a competition chef on the Canadian national team, etc.) He is spectacular. He is leading a one week course at a 1000 acre estate about a half hour out of Lucca. The course includes market trips, lessons, WFO pizzas, pasta, and whatever we find great. (We did a similar trip in Provence about ten years ago and like the format.) I will get more info online when I get a chance.

Eat on!
                                Jay

Comment

Working...
                                X