• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Variations in the Oven landing shape

I hated to cover it up, actually.

Comment

And its bonded too!
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

"Wiley, you and I think a lot alike....Now that you mention it, I have revisited my purpose in building the oven already and haven't permanently laid the floor ...

....I'm 62 and retired for 13 years already....Need to keep busy to see my grand children as adults"

Lee, Alot closer than one might expect...I'll be 62 in a few weeks, and I also retired at 49 1/2; it'll be 13 years on Halloween (the aniversary of my retiring). I have 5 grandkids stretching from a granddaughter who's 23 and the youngest grandson is 7 years.

And I built my oven because I like self-sufficiency. I found Forno Bravo because I have a friend who was going to build an Alan Scott oven and I stumbled onto FB in a online search of wood fired ovens. He never did build himself a WFO.

Bests,
        Wiley

Comment

Of course it is bonded. That is the other thing I hate about the AS oven, the damn arch is stack bond, the weakest way to build it.

Comment

Why did you build your WFO?
            Well, I bought a tower clock from Ireland on eBay. As night follows day, If you have a tower clock, you're going to need a tower...

My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
              Well, I bought a tower clock from Ireland on eBay. As night follows day, If you have a tower clock, you're going to need a tower...

David, you are certainly more handy than the normal person....Do you consult for the Red Green show on PBS?

I like your vision in that addition. Must have been a work of love. Well done. I don't think many bona fide architects could have put more things in that one space
              Lee B.
              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

David,

That entire installation with the clock above the oven is rediculously cool! Nice oven tool bin, too.

Comment

Nice oven tool bin, too.
                  Last winter it filled with ice melt run-off, refroze and broke. If you use an unused piece of flue tile to hold your tools, use your angle grinder to cut big notches in the bottom, at least in the back.

Thanks for the complements.

Comment

You Sir, are insane. In a Good way, of course.

Comment

Great thoughts, comments, and advice, but I would like to steer this thread back toward its original direction because:

IMO Wiley's entrance is one of the great ones and one of the most creative in terms of using alternative materials (as is his oven!). This kind of inspiration is what keeps me coming back to this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by stoveup View Post
                        Great thoughts, comments, and advice, but I would like to steer this thread back toward its original direction because:

IMO Wiley's entrance is one of the great ones and one of the most creative in terms of using alternative materials (as is his oven!). This kind of inspiration is what keeps me coming back to this forum.
                        Genius takes many forms. Sometimes it hides. I see a lot of it on this forum and keep coming back for that reason too. I feel like I'm swimming upstream with the tweaks I want to try....I want to push the edges, without making a mistake I'll regret. So, I'm trying to listen more.

I've been told an oven entrance by ThermoJax has the characteristics I'm interested in -I can't find it- can anyone help me locate a picture of it?
                        Lee B.
                        DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

I've been told an oven entrance by ThermoJax has the characteristics I'm interested in -I can't find it- can anyone help me locate a picture of it?
                          Is this what you're looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                            Is this what you're looking for?
                            Yes David it is....Thanks a lot!

I'm incorporating his oven flair for sure, I'd like to have an opening shaped like his, just lifted 2.5 inches at the bottom corners for peel freedom.
                            Last edited by Lburou; 01-27-2011, 04:22 PM.
                            Lee B.
                            DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Wiley, Brickie,

I built my oven for many of the reasons that were mentioned above. I enjoy cooking, but curiosity was also a huge driving force. I enjoyed baking bread in the past and had found the Alan Scott ovens on line but when I found plans for a more flexible WFO and a community of builders I was lured in by the possibilities. When I finished high school I worked in construction for a few years, it appealed to my enjoyment of problem solving, creating and discovery. Masonry wasn’t anything that I had any skills in so when I tore down the wood deck I had an opportunity to clean up the drainage and put in a workable patio with a WFO and learn a few new things.

The WFO is just fun.. I keep tweaking the entry for convenience and aesthetics and the door for heat efficiency.

Chris

Comment

Actually I think you are possibly right

Comment

Working...
                                X