Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Global warming?

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    That is 15% growth, but it is still too high. The cliff analogy is false, a better one would be speeding down a hill, then up a hill, then down another, and you have no brakes anyway.

I am a Malthusian, personally, mainly because it is inevitable.
    Sorry my figures were rough, but it is 30%

Rank Country Population (thousands)
    2010 Population (thousands)
    1990 Growth (%)
    1990-2010
    World 6,895,889 5,306,425 30.0%
    Given that modern medicine has eradicated most of the nasties we're either going to be copped with one that it can't handle or continue to populate at an unsustainable rate
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
      I think we are overpopulated and our present lifestyle is unsustainable. The worlds population grew by 30% from 6 billion to 7 billion between 1990 and 2010. That's a lot of bread and beer.
      X2....I believe this is the great issue of our time. Overpopulation is the elephant in the room no one will acknowledge. Even if we solve all our energy problems and stop our as yet unquantifiable contribution to climate change, we will not be able to continue to feed everybody soon.
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Well, as unpopular as it was, the Chinese one-child rule proved that someone was thinking about it, and it was effective, although it created another set of problems down the road.
        I just hope that the Chinese manufacturing rollercoaster doesn't include flooding the world with cheap, cast refractory ovens.

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
          Well, as unpopular as it was, the Chinese one-child rule proved that someone was thinking about it, and it was effective, although it created another set of problems down the road.
          I just hope that the Chinese manufacturing rollercoaster doesn't include flooding the world with cheap, cast refractory ovens.
          I'm not thinking of China so much, (although I know that tens of millions of people died of starvation during Mao's rule), as the hunger and poverty of several third world countries like Chad and the Sudan.
          Last edited by Lburou; 12-17-2011, 07:54 AM.
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
          X