Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 45.1˚C here today

Wow,
    That's hot. Just out of curiosity, do you guys use your ovens in that heat? I'm in South Texas & it doesn't get quite that oppressive heat-wise, but at our normal 37C in the summer, I don't find it so enjoyable to stand in front of a 900F oven. We LOVE this time of this year here though, 21C or 70F & sunshine everyday this week!

Comment

Originally posted by Nelskwdds View Post
      Wow,
      That's hot. Just out of curiosity, do you guys use your ovens in that heat?
      No mate. Lighting my oven today would result in an invitation to explain myself to the judge.
      Actually I rang the Country Fire Service last year to ask the rules for ovens, since the CFS website only mentioned BBQs.
      At the time they told me it was OK on the day in question to use it.
      My mate informs me that pizza ovens are now specifically mentioned, so perhaps country South Oz memebrs can blame me for bringing ovens to their attention.
      Two hours since I took the last picture, the bushfire looks like this, the CFS is advising people the fire is out of control and to activate their survival plans. I just rang the transport contractor's manager, and he's up in the hills getting his horses out.
      The CFS says leave now if you can. Getting ugly.

Comment

Well it didn't break the record of 46˚C but managed another 44.3˚C.
        Went for a quick dip to cool off and will go again before bed time.
        About using our ovens, there is a TOTAL fire ban on at present as some of our members are located in the outer metro areas or in the hills that surround Adelaide.
        Mick mentioned about the Country Fire Service (the CFS) and when I asked about using my oven one Christmas when there was area fire bans, nobody could give me a definitive answer, not even when they contacted Head Office. I dare say since then, many other questions have been asked hence wood fired ovens are now listed. Previously they were deemed as cooking devices and did not come under the banned regulations but lets face it, if it's too hot and a fire ban is imposed for safety sake, then who the heck would want to light theirs? I wanted to cook the Christmas turkey in mine, but settled for the electric range.Definitely not me. Hot again tomorrow with a mild change coming in late on Saturday.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
          Well it didn't break the record of 46˚C but managed another 44.3˚C.
          Went for a quick dip to cool off and will go again before bed time.
          About using our ovens, there is a TOTAL fire ban on at present as some of our members are located in the outer metro areas or in the hills that surround Adelaide.
          Mick mentioned about the Country Fire Service (the CFS) and when I asked about using my oven one Christmas when there was area fire bans, nobody could give me a definitive answer, not even when they contacted Head Office. I dare say since then, many other questions have been asked hence wood fired ovens are now listed. Previously they were deemed as cooking devices and did not come under the banned regulations but lets face it, if it's too hot and a fire ban is imposed for safety sake, then who the heck would want to light theirs? I wanted to cook the Christmas turkey in mine, but settled for the electric range.Definitely not me. Hot again tomorrow with a mild change coming in late on Saturday.

Neill
          Did you read the code of practice? Not too bad. Based on consultation from the pizza oven industry. Wonder who the heck that is?
          If the oven has a spark arrestor and there are no combustibles, like grass and trees for 4 metres around, then you are pretty much good to go on a fire danger day, but not a fire ban day.
          (Like you say, who the hell wants to light an oven on a fire ban day anyway?)

After reading it, I went and looked at my oven. It just about complies, with a code that was written after I built the oven - so not so bad.

The code specifies a spark arrestor on the flue. I haven't finished researching it yet, but they refer to an Australian Standard for spark arrestors on internal combustion engines! I'll use stainless steel mesh, less than 3.2 mm, a number that came up somewhere.

The other thing I don't have is something that stops sparks coming out the front. I reckon I'll fit stainless steel mesh to the opening in the blast door I normally use to exclude the wind. I reckon that'd make it compliant.
          Sorta like a fire screen.
          The code is all about making the oven a "properly constructed fireplace".

Decking timber, firewood stored under the oven, properly maintained framing, etc, don't count in the requirement for cleared combustibles around the oven.

And its only above and in the forward direction. My lawn passes behind the oven and that's OK if I read the code properly.
          All in all, the CFS code of practice for pizza ovens really just lists of things that the average Aussie bloke living in a bush fire region would do anyway.

Comment

the view across the Gulf from Whyalla last night

Comment

The local fire authorities recently imposed a fire ban that was left in place for 2 weeks. I spoke with them about the WFO and they said it would be ok to use it with the usual sensible precautions.

This ban was over the whole region and as we did not have extreme heat or wind at the time I used mine a couple of times but my place is irrigated and not vulnerable. We have had days of 40 C since without a fire ban and with the wind involved I would not have lit the oven regardless.

All about using a little good sense sometimes.

I hope you folk in the south make it through the hot, dry and fire prone days you are having at the moment safe and well.
              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

That's a scary sight. There's nothing more devastating than wildfires. All the best to you guys for safety & resolve for those affected.

Comment

In seeing all of you Aussies discussing fire regulations, it Appears we are lagging behind in this regard. Perhaps I should contact the local authorities about engendering some new fire regulations for our WFO's......then again, sometimes silence is golden! They don't seem to care around here, & I'd like to keep it that way! "All about using a little good sense sometimes"......should suffice.

Comment

Yeh, good or what I call COMMON SENSE is something that not all people possess. Few people think about,"what would or could happen if.............."
                    There is aways the odd ball who simply does not think and there for spoils it for everyone else.
                    I haven't seen (or until this posting), heard of any specific rules/regulations regarding wood fired oven use.
                    My oven does have a spark arrester on top of the chimney and never even with an absolute roaring fire on light up, seen any sparks coming from the chimney,
                    With that said, in cases of "potential" fire safety, I would never light nor use my oven during such weather conditions.

Neill

PS Only 42˚C at present but a cooler change tomorrow afternoon.

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                    Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Found this on the Internet, so it must be true.

Fire authorities in California found a corpse in a burned-out section of forest while assessing the damage done by a forest fire.** The deceased male was dressed in a full wet suit, complete with scuba tanks on his back, flippers, and face mask.
                      A post-mortem test revealed that the man died not from burns, but from massive internal injuries. Dental records provided a positive identification.** Investigators then set about to determine how a fully clothed diver ended up in the middle of a forest fire.
                      It was revealed that on the day of the fire, the man went diving off the coast, some 20 miles from the forest.** The fire fighters, seeking to control the fire as quickly as possible, had called in a fleet of helicopters with very large dip buckets.** Water was dipped from the ocean and emptied at the site of the forest fire.
                      You guessed it.** One minute our diver was making like Flipper in the Pacific, the next, he was doing the breast stroke in a fire dip bucket 300 feet in the air.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Bushfire update!
                        Late last night I got a detailed text from my very dear friends/relatives from Wirrabara in the lower Flinders Ranges.

"Hi, we + house OK, Most of Bentleys black, big old gums well alight. So scary, wind change saved us! Jackie just missed. Old nursery burnt. Noel OK + your place. Not too many left.
                        Bye Carolyn"

I phoned her immediately after to find out that they (her and husband in their 70's) were rapidly vacating their 586 acre property, Bentleys Hill (a high local landmark) watching the rapidly approaching flames devour their property and almost up to their house and sheds when a sudden wind change turned the fire direction 90˚ to burn the remainder of their land. Their daughter Jackie, who lives in the shelter of the Flinders Ranges a few miles away and the flames just missed their property and livelihood as did their brother Noel who has a large orchard directly in the forest. The house and property that I was born on was just over the hill from Noel's and was also saved. On the other side of the township and about 5 miles out the other daughter also saved their property but lost considerable feed and some stock.
                        It makes you realise just how wild these fires are and how very lucky this wonderful family is to have lost some property in 4 different areas around Wirrabara without loosing their homes.
                        "Bentleys is all black and looks terrible, I never knew that we owned so many rocks" was the comment last night, I will be going up there to help with the re-fencing that was burned and must be replaced before it can be restocked, but at least we have a few months before feed will regrow.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                        Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Bushfires are certainly a horrible experience to go through. Living at Greenhill (Ash Wednesday Fires in the 1980's) I am very conscious of the impact that we make through carelessness, with Cleland Conservation Park in front and Second Creek behind - preparation/prevention is very important.

My WFO was built with spark arrestor and I believe would comply with the regulations, however I choose not to light up on a total fire ban for two reasons;

1. I don't want to take the risk and be the cause of a fire:

and

2. I don't want to be blamed for a fire up the road that some "Richard Cranium" decided would be fun to light!!!

Fortunately, we were lucky that we did not have any major fires in our area, but two bad fires are still going in the Barossa and Flinders Rangers.

My thoughts are with all in those areas. Stay safe.

Craig
                          "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
                          The Pirate Captain

Comment

Your words of caution ring home here in Southern California. Day before yesterday three men were warming themselves by an (illegal) outdoor campfire when the wind suddenly blew embers and paper from the fire out into the wilderness northeast of Los Angeles.
                            Latest report is 1,800 acres, 5 structures (including homes) burned and 1000 people on evacuation watch.

It doesn't help that it has been 80-85F for over a week but the three men have all been federally charged. I would certainly not need that if my oven sparked a fire.

Comment

Finally raining here in Oz. After 11 days of non stop flames, the fire might finally die back.
                              Flames in the hills last night were absolutely massive. It burned down the face of the hills toward the township of Napperby the otherday, and residents were told to leave. They are back now.
                              Hills now shrouded clouds and rain.
                              Before the rain started the fire front was about 7 miles wide heading for Napperby.
                              About 55,000 acres of mostly prime bushland and conservation park burned.

Bangor Fire - Public Information Map 1100 hrs 23-01-2014

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
                                Bushfire update!
                                Their daughter Jackie, who lives in the shelter of the Flinders Ranges a few miles away and the flames just missed their property and livelihood as did their brother Noel who has a large orchard directly in the forest. Neill
                                That wouldn't be Jackie O'Reilly would it?

Comment

Working...
                                X