Now this is just too much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now this is just too much

To all those yanks I've accused of having the world's weirdest food tastes, I apologise.
    Surely you have nothing that out-weirds this:

No Cookies | The Advertiser

Re: Now this is just too much

That is weird, but every culture has it's own seemingly odd foods.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Oh, come on Mick,
      don't knock it until you've tried it!
      I also read about it in this mornings paper, and looking to buy some just to try it, it sounds interesting, something that one needs to experience.

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
        Oh, come on Mick,
        don't knock it until you've tried it!
        I have tried Vegemite - I don't think the taste could be hidden in any food. I think you guy's down under rave about it just to get us on the other side of the globe to try it
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I genuinely do like vegemite.
          (not sayin' I wouldn't talk it up to get you to try it )

And I like chocolate. But the thought of the two together?
          I'd try it if a I came across it, but I still reckon its weird.

Still, like stonecutter says, every culture has its own oddities.

I just came from the feast of Santo Nino. There is no doubt Filipinos can cook, and I had a great time.

But would I ever try balut? No way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(food)

My mate volunteered to eat one the other day, I refused to even watch.
          Last edited by wotavidone; 01-24-2014, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
            To all those yanks I've accused of having the world's weirdest food tastes, I apologise.
            Surely you have nothing that out-weirds this:

No Cookies | The Advertiser
            Gudday Mick
            I read he reviews and one stuck in my mind, it basically said it was much like salted caramel and for that reason I'd give it a go even though I don't like Vegemite.
            As for Balut, no way I can even talk myself into having another one. I've been in Philippines and eaten one and they come up easier than they go down. Very embarrassing
            Regards Dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
              Gudday Mick
              I've been in Philippines and eaten one and they come up easier than they go down. Very embarrassing
              Regards Dave
              You ate one? You are a deadset legend.

The tucker at the feast of Santo Nino was brilliant today. No Balut, thank goodness.
              Considering there was nearly the entire Filipino population of South Australia there, there wouldn't have been enough duck eggs in the state anyway.

The other thing that was missing this year was the cooked pig's blood.
              Last year, I passed it by because I thought it was cooked squid ink, and I didn't think to ask anyone what it really was. I later found out it was the blood from the BBQ'd pig, and I wished I'd tried it. Maybe next year.

I gotta ask my mate's wife about the rice. It was some long grained type I've never had before.
              Last edited by wotavidone; 01-25-2014, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Blah...I'll leave that grossness on the shelf with durian.
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Gudday Mick
                  I'm a Scott by heritage so black pud which is basically pig blood soaked into barley and made into a sausage. The family don't like it but what tha. Me and my bro get together ... Fried with eggs .. Our wife's hate us.you will not get a kiss for days!
                  I've travelled in S/E Asia for years. They say the Chinese will eat anything with four legs ... Except the table and the chairs.
                  The rest of S/E Asia don't count legs. If it swings through the forest, crawls or slithers on the forest floor, its food.
                  And you think you would not eat the little dried shrimp and little fish in the S/E Asia markets .... Think again. It ill come up with the street food .
                  With philipino food just eat ... And ask later ...as you probably have found out , it is made with sharing in mind. Things like Balut are well just like feeding Vegemite to foreigners !
                  I still remember that Balut to this very day... I've never been so embarrassed , I hope it was the Sam mig.
                  Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once

My Build
                  My Door

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                    Blah...I'll leave that grossness on the shelf with durian.
                    Gudday
                    Well you are well travelled. You know about the the durian ? Have you really tried one? The king of fruits they call them. They are the Stilton, the blue vein, of the fruit world. I would have thought you would have appreciated them.
                    Allthough the MRT the Mass rail transport in singapore has banned them for many years....not everyone likes the odour
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once

My Build
                    My Door

Comment

My family emigrated from Prussia, a province (state?) called Silesia.

(I don't bother to explain to visitors that not all white Aussies are convict stock. Sorta looks like you are sensitive about it, the old "methinks he doth protest too much", so I give it a miss.)

Silesia got given to Poland in the carve-up after WWII, but it was pretty much a German state until then.
                      So I'm no stranger to blutwurst.

We never made it ourselves, we settled for making ham, bacon and mettwurst. I wouldn't know where to lay my hands on some decent blutwurst now, but I recommend the butcher at Moonta if you want white pudding. Delightful.

Speaking of wurst, I wrote an email to Kalleskes the other day.

Had a grizzle about how their wurst is starting to be just like everyone else's and how I reckon the vacuum packing is interfering with the way it matures.

They said that they vacuum pack it because the supermarkets require it. BUT, if I want it straight out of the smoker, just turn up early Wednesday mornings at the factory door. How cool is that?
                      I was delighted. I knew they were the best wurst makers around!

I used to love it when Dad's wurst was so fresh you could just about spread it on your sandwich with a knife.

So the other day I was surfing the net looking for recipes, and be buggered if I didn't find an article on german sausage that said that mettwurst is a spreadable breakfast meat. Reckon one wednesday soon I'll be at the factory door when Kalleskes open the smoker.
                      Last edited by wotavidone; 01-25-2014, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Gudday
                        Well you are well travelled. You know about the the durian ? Have you really tried one? The king of fruits they call them. They are the Stilton, the blue vein, of the fruit world. I would have thought you would have appreciated them.
                        Allthough the MRT the Mass rail transport in singapore has banned them for many years....not everyone likes the odour
                        Regards dave
                        I know about Durian. I have tasted Durian. I will never eat Durian again.

My wife is the real foodie....I just tasted it so I could say I did. We had it on Canal st in NYC ( chinatown)
                        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

The durian is also banned from many hotels in Asia. They are certainly an aquired taste and when it comes to pungency they are right up there with the biggest of the blue cheeses. Makes Vegemite seem very tame indeed.

As for the convict stock. South Australia was never a penal settlement and was settled by free men including many religious refugees from Europe. My knowledge of SA history is sketchy but that was a proud boast of some people I spoke to while visiting the fair state. It does have some interesting international food traditions. I will be back to enjoy some more of them. Even bung fritz has its place in the world.
                          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Gudday
                            Fritz , balony , palony, Devon, I tend to think its the same thing. My boys used to love the stuff. Dad used to cook slices of it on the BBQ for them on a Sunday morning. The outer edges stick to the hot plate and the middle puffs up and the whole thing sets in that sorta hat form. Eggs and "hats"for them was a super food when your under 10.
                            As for pizza topping... Well.. I don't think I would try it on them. But if I cooked some hats with eggs recon they would eat it!
                            Regards dave
                            Ps recon Ill try that on them next time there are home!
                            Last edited by cobblerdave; 01-26-2014, 04:27 AM. Reason: Add ps
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once

My Build
                            My Door

Comment

Gudday
                              Fritz , balony , palony, Devon, I tend to think its the same thing. My boys used to love the stuff. Dad used to cook slices of it on the BBQ for them on a Sunday morning. The outer edges stick to the hot plate and the middle puffs up and the whole thing sets in that sorta hat form. Eggs and "hats"for them was a super food when your under 10.
                              As for pizza topping... Well.. I don't think I would try it on them. But if I cooked some hats with eggs recon they would eat it!
                              Regards dave
                              Ps recon Ill try that on them next time there are home!
                              Tried 'em all. Similar but not the same.
                              The big thing, I think, is the "bung" in the bung fritz.
                              The bung is a certain section of a sheep's gut that is stuffed to make the bung fritz.
                              You simply cannot beat real skins on any sort of sausage. None of this processed collagen crap.

Best not to think about the filling.
                              My mate, who clearly doesn't like fritz at all, reckons fritz is made from the bits of the animal that can't be used any other way. i.e. he reckons it's the eyelids, lips and arseholes. No taste, that man.

Yesterday, being Australia Day, a barby was mandatory. The sausages came from a source that shall remain nameless, but involved real skins and beef from a local steer.

Best snags I've had for yonks. To my knowledge, there is now not a single butcher in my home town that uses real skins anymore. Tragic.

Comment

Working...
                              X