Indoor or outdoor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Indoor or outdoor?

No, but I have tried on a lake before...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

I am a Florida transplant (Miami and Gainesville), and I lived in San Francisco for a while (coldest place ever!), so I know about different climates! Denver gets 300 days on sunshine a year, so even in the winter, we get a lot of good outdoor time. Not many bugs to speak of, though we do have that pesky west nile virus.

I think I like jengineer's idea the best. It is one thing to cook outside when there is snow on the ground, it is another to have to shovel the back patio to get to the oven...Covered outdoor sounds like my ideal here in CO.

Other opinons are still welcome!

Drake
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Hi everyone,

I am the Denver resident who was wondering if i should build my oven indoors or outdoors. Both seems a bit extravagant not to mention redundant although my husband wonders if we could build one that could be accessed from the inside or from the outside? Crazy I think. I originally considered the idea of and inside oven because i was renovating an old building that had no outside space available. I wanted to put in a wood burning fireplace I could at least have a Tuscan grill. In Denver you are not allowed to install anything that is wood burning unless it is a kitchen 'appliance'- thus was born the pizza oven idea. That is allowed. As it turned out we did not build out the loft, and instead bought a house. We are still totally dedicated to having a pizza oven somewhere, but now I have the option to build it inside or outside. My husband still loves the idea of it inside- and although I get the 'romance' of it, I am the one who will be using it, and wonder if the heat generated will be too much to want to fire the puppy up in the summer...Summers and winters in Denver are relatively mild with a few months where it is super hot but only a few weeks where it is super cold/snowy. My friend who originally posted my question has an oven outdoors and i asked him if he could have built it inside would he use it more- or less...based on the heat situation. Does anyone have one indoors now- that can tell me if they use it during the summer?

Comment

I've told this story before, but a public official in Chicago (I think) was caught embezzling a large sum of money, and ended up in jail. In the newspaper article that recounted his excesses they said, among other things, that he had two pizza ovens at his McMansion.

Ahhh. Does that really mean that two pizza ovens is excess?

In our Healdsburg (Sonoma county) house, where it gets very hot during the day and cools down in the evening, we definitely use the outdoor oven in the summer and hotter shoulder seasons. Still, I have to say that this part of California can get really hot.

We also have experience in Provence, in houses where there is no air conditioning, and it is a lot nicer cooking outdoors in the cool early evening, rather than facing a hot indoor kitchen.

That said, Denver sounds very moderate.

Does it come down to climate?
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

If I HAD to choose (and for the record, I would still want both) I would choose a larger oven outdoors. While the Pompeii design does lend itself to weekday run of the mill cooking, I think these ovens really hit their stride when guests come over and the pizza and wine flow freely. On a nice night, that party will be outdoors and the ovenmaster will want to be there with them.

But I still want both.
            "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Working...
            X