Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Sandwiches?

Originally posted by james View Post
    Panini is just a cool sounding word for grilled cheese. :-)
    James
    Yes, our American version. I had one from Safeway a couple of weeks ago. They greased it up too much and ruined the sandwhich.

The standard panino sold in Sicily was provolone and salami or mortadella (mystery meat) on a rock hard crusted Italian bread. One dollar, 1500 lire everywhere you go. The crust was so hard your mouth hurt when you were done eating.

If you ate them everyday, your palate would eventually get over the bleeding/trauma and develop a callus. Then the panini were pure joy. We sure fixed a heck of a lot of broken teeth caused by these bread bombs.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Re: Bocadillos

I love a lot of different ones too...I have to add a Cuban sandwich to this list...and add onions to the liverwurst on rye and horseradish to the roast beef...add onions to the peanut butter with bacon... ...I know it sounds crazy but....tastes gooood... ...nice Vidalia is probably best!
      I'll probably add more suggestions soon!
      Dutch

Originally posted by Xabia Jim View Post
      I love a lot of different sandwiches, this is a short list of favorites some:

Smoked Chicken or Turkey with sweet onion, mayo and black pepper, sometimes with swiss cheese
      Country Pate or liverwurst with mustard on dense rye
      Fresh peanut butter on soft white bread, sometimes with crispy bacon
      Shaved Roast beef, mayo and mustard
      Tortilla Espanol on a baguette (Madrid airport ritual)
      Tuna Salad (my kitchen sink version)
      Serrano ham and fresh tomatoes
      Basic grilled cheese or ham n cheese

And I never really liked lettuce on my sandwiches. I guess my mom used to make us sandwiches ahead of time for school. My wife found out from my cousin who helped once that she put lettuce on the sandwiches and then froze them ...no wonder!
      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Liverworst? Isn't that like deviled ham? I thought they were both relatives to vegimite.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

George,

That comment about the divine liverwurst tells me you're a born and bred (or is it bred and born?) westcoaster. On the east coast, liverwurst sandwiches belong to a major food group. There are many types, coarse and fine, heavily peppered and not, herbed and not. I'm with Dutch, rye bread (preferably sour), skin of butter, fine grind liverwurst, sharp cheese, onion and, in my case, Dijon mustard. Sigh. Right up there with Pastrami on rye in a New York deli.

No, you don't necessarily want to know what's in liverwurst, but just think of it as a German pate, and you're away.

Then, of course, there's Pennsylvania scrapple, but that's a whole nuther gastronomic category. You don't want to know what's in that, either.

Jim
          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Yes...forgot the mustard...dijon definitely...capers too on occasion...wouldn' really want to look at the scrapple either
            Dutch
            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Originally posted by vincent View Post
              ..i make sauce for pasta with white tuna packed in water and use my own oil
              Vincent, this sounds interesting....what's your recipe look like?

XJ
              sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

It's quite an easy recipe Jim. I start by slicing 4 or 5 cloves of garlic and about half a small onion paper thin. Place them in a small sauce pan with just enough oil to float them. Medium high heat to slightly soften then add 2 cans of white tuna in water (don't drain the water). Increase the heat to high and quickly heat the tuna thru. Add salt, pepper and a touch of italian seasoning. I've also used a little finely chopped fresh parsley at time instead of the italian seasoning. Drop the heat to low and slowly simmer. Usually around an hour. You'll know its done when the onion and garlic can't be seen. The only thing that takes a little getting used to is as it simmers you'll have to add a bit of water or a bit more oil. Its all a matter of taste but i find that just enough oil to carry the sauce thru the pasta is plenty. Cook up a pound of angel hair (regular thin spaghetti doesn't hold the sauce as well) drain well, pour the sauce over the pasta, toss well and enjoy. My wife and i many times will broil a small piece of salmon to go with it. A nice fresh tossed salad and a glass of your favorite white wine compliment the dish well. And just a note. I never use EVOO in it; a bit too over powering. Just plain old second squeezing olive oil. If you have a pasta machine the homeade thin noodles with this are icing on the cake. I hope you give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                X