Learning a new language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Learning a new language

so the advo is conjo irrego verbs and memo vocabo?

...hmmm, I dunno, but maybe my aussie still needs some work....
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Inish,
      What a daunting list of langeages.
      Sadly, Australian remains unlisted.....
      teach.

Comment

There's only 5 forms of conjugation for each of those verbs, (I, you, you unfamiliar, they, them). For these: to be, to have, and to want, that's just 15 variations you need to learn. A couple of hours work, huh?

To need is similar to the meaning of want but isn't a bad one to learn either. There's probably 10 or 15 others that you use regularly that are irregular conjugations. I can't think of a single one right now.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by jeff View Post
          Inish,
          What a daunting list of langeages.
          Sadly, Australian remains unlisted.....
          teach.
          That would require someone who is fluent in both Aussie and English to volunteer and you know what they say about that practice. Maybe another job for the woofer...............

It would, however, make a valuable addition to the new FB video slot and undoubtedly get a nomination for BOTM.

Comment

Originally posted by Inishta View Post

It's an unfortunate fact that learning is kids stuff. It gets a little more difficult the older you are.
            That's sure true. But, I have read numerous articles which say that learning a second (or third) language as an adult has been shown to ward off Alzheimer's -- a very good thing. None of those senior moments.

The Rosetta Stone arrived a couple of days ago, and 48-hours in, I am very impressed. I uses a microphone and speech recognition to help with your accent, and it is very interactive -- and it is is going to be teaching articles, verb conjugation, masculine/feminine, vocabulary, etc. through interesting exercises -- without rote memorization.

I started Italian using CDs and cassettes in the car, and had no idea what I sounded like. Imagine my surprise the first few times I tried to talk to an Italian on vacation -- sometimes they knew what mean, and more of time time that would look blankly back, as if so say "what is he going." :-)

I'm taking David's advice (hopefully) and try to do a lesson a day -- a little bit every day.

James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

How much time per day are you allotting to the rosetta stone lessons? The Italian set has always attracted me but I couldn't figure out how much time it would take per day.

I had CD's for Italian, and I think they're ok for vocabulary, but I had to do verbs by conjugating them on paper. Not much of an auditory learner, I'm afraid.
              Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Hi Elizabeth,

I am hoping to do 20-30 minutes a day; one lesson. My thinking is that even if I only find 15 minutes, it's worth having the daily repetition. I'm approaching this like daily exercise -- I think most trainers will say something like, "if you can't find 15 minutes to exercise, maybe you should think about how you are spending your time." :-)

James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

some people pick up stuff really quickly,
                  others take a lifetime

...i'm stuck in between
                  but I'm happy

X
                  sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Anchio sai! - Italian? I'm getting my languages mixed up. Anway, me too, XJ! To really learn a language well, you need to immerse yourself in it. The Navy does six month courses for engineers and architects heading overseas so that they can converse with the local contrators better.

They speak their intended languages 6 -8 hours per day for those six months. It works pretty well.
                    GJBingham

-

Comment

George,
                      Not wishing to pick a fight here, but seems to me that Islamic cultures may have been underestimated yes?
                      Mate, I'm probly WAY out of line, but when I was conscripted to kill Vietnamese people, I was taught diddly-squat language/culture: Didn't matter, since we worked in a free-fire zone,eh.
                      And you wonder why you (AND most Australians), find me 'different'.!!
                      Jesus bloody wept!!
                      Sir George of Longview, immersion is the way to go. You can catch 'em young an' train em' in the language, and the nuances of culture should come easy.
                      Best I stop.
                      teach.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff View Post
                        Mate, I'm probly WAY out of line, but when I was conscripted to kill Vietnamese people, I was taught diddly-squat language/culture: Didn't matter, since we worked in a free-fire zone,eh.
                        And you wonder why you (AND most Australians), find me 'different'.!!
                        Jesus bloody wept!!

teach.
                        Jeff, had some good friends who fought there and ended up in the bush on Lake Superior.....all good people, thanks for what you did.... war is hell. XJ
                        sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Your lessons are wasted on me Jeffy. I understand your feelings completely. I cannot approve of anything related to Vietnam, but that was not my war, and was truely a horrible page in history that people like you (apparently) still live with today. I'm sorry for that.

You can speak all you want about the Islamic cultures. I believe in my heart that the majority of them are good and well meaning people. Lunatics such as Hitler and Osama Bin Laden are the scourge of society. I'm a strong believer that killing in the name of your God, whoever your god is, is not really what your god intended. Am I sad that we are in Iraq? I'll let you guess. Opinions are like AHs - everybodys got one, nobody thinks their's stinks. While I may not agree with you, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Best I stop.
                          Teach!
                          GJBingham

-

Comment

Working...
                          X