Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mead made with wild yeast

Wow, those look pretty amazing!
    That's quite the neon colour of that one on the right!

I've been wanting to try something with pears too. Any chance you'd share your recipe for yours?

I'm sort of re-thinking the ice cider idea after reading that it takes 50 apples minimum to make one half-bottle. That's just too expensive to make unless I find a way to harvest the ones from my own apple tree ... before the bugs or the squirrels get them. I don't really want to put a pile of pesticides into my yard.

Beside, gotta leave myself some time for WFO cooking.

Comment

The neon one no longer looks like that. After they sit for a month they start to clear and darken. They're not nearly as pretty as they used to be, but hopefullly they'll taste better than when I put them in those bottles. Today I siphoned and took a little taste. They have a long way to go.

Wow, that's a lot of apples for so little cider. That's crazy.

Comment

I bought a wine making kit from Midwest homebrewing company and it came with a recipe book for all kinds of wines, including the pear wine. The kits are pretty cheap , $87.00 for the 6 gallon one, and once you get up and going it will only cost you about $1.50 to make a bottle of wine. I bought an add on kit for $54.00 more It comes with all the additives you need and another 5 gallon bottle. If you're looking for wine recipes online go to Jack Keller's website. He has all kinds of recipes, even really odd ones. I have lots of friends saving their used wine bottles for me. Yesterday I spent a few hours cleaning and removing labels. The wine in my picture should make about 64 bottles of wine.

Comment

A few months back we had a conversation about beekeeping going in this topic, and specifically about doing so in cities. Looks like the last chapter (for this season) on my contribution has been written, so I figured I'd post it here: Oh-so sweet! Rooftop honey scores silver at Royal Agricultural Winter Fair - The Appetizer.

Be sure to check out the link in that article to the bees atop the opera house in Paris. You just never know!
          Un amico degli amici.

Comment

That's a pretty amazing result, and so soon after starting up!
            I liked the cheese and honey idea they mentioned too - I'll have to try that with some parmesan or some good local artisan cheese.
            Perhaps there's even a pizza lurking within that idea ... hmmmm ....

Comment

i know this is very old, but i stumbled upon this thread (and joined) because i was curious as to if anyone was actually successful in making mead without added yeast? I couldn't work it out.

I really want to try making a mead really old fashioned, without yeast AND without boiling/heating. I get delicious raw honey and would loove to keep it that way!

Am new to this forum, so hope it is ok to ask a question about something so old!

David, uk

ps not sure if this is possible? But i did find this.....

How to Make Mead From an Ancient 17th Century Recipe

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum!

Is nice you've resurected this thread - I've been meaning to continue mead experiments, but somehow haven't got round to it (to be quite honest what's keeping me back is that I'd have to figure out how my nice not-so-new-anymore fermenation barrel actually works).

As you can see from reading the thread, I'm not exacly what you would call knowledgable at mead making. We did drink some of the one bottle of mead made with wild yeast the other day (after the cork was either removed by my kids or forced off by pressure build up - and I just wish I knew which...!). It is actually very nice, great smell of honey, but needs some added honey to back-sweeten it to my taste, as it turned out very dry. And rather potent I'd say, must be quite a lot stronger than wine! If I could be sure it would work every time, I'd be making mead that way on a regular basis.

The thing is, I never made anymore after several larger batches went bad - you just end up wasting so much honey. There was another recipe I found on a German web site for mead without added yeast - you just wait for the ambient yeast in the air to take hold, like you do when you're starting a new sourdough culture. I'm sure I could find you the link if you're interested (how's your German? ). Thing is, besides the yeast there are lots of other things in the air, also waiting to get in there...

So basically, from my limited experience, I'd suggest you keep your batches small to begin with and just try out different recipes. I like the one on the link you posted, it'd be really cool to use a 17th century recipe. I do think your success rate will probably be bigger with added yeast - but it is possible to use a wild yeast starter rather than commercial yeast. I thought of it as giving the ambient yeast a head start.

I hope all that helps a bit... I'm still very interested in this topic, so if you do experiment and/or come up with more info, I'd love to read about it!
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Hi Dave!
                  It IS nice that you've resurrected this thread - I have just now placed one of my nearly year-old bottles in the fridge as it's been about six months since last taste-tested; will give it another go tonight.

As for the no-yeast mead, although there's a certain appeal, it's like Frances said - too easy to get the bad bacteria growing along with it. I had wanted to do that too but eventually came to the conclusion that what really matters in the end is not so much whether it's natural yeast (actually, all yeasts are) and unpasteurized honey but whether the end product is pleasing to your palate (same with bread - I, as it happens, actually prefer yeast bread to sourdough, but don't tell the others here ).

I'd start with a yeast mead and work up to the wild yeast one if you still feel the urge later. Whatever you do, let up know how it works out!

Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by sarah h View Post
                    same with bread - I, as it happens, actually prefer yeast bread to sourdough, but don't tell the others here
                    Sarah!!! Well, I really don't know what to say... I have never been so shocked in all my life!

Actually it turns out than my family's new favourite bread is a very complicated recipe with regular yeast, which I call "left-over-pizza-dough".... and I end up making plenty of that - so who am I to talk?
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Well, I guess we won't evict y'all for the yeast just yet.

I use both sourdough and yeast in my breads, depends on the type!

I better not let my husband see this thread- he's just about to send his first batch of stout from the primary to the secondary! And he picked up a friend's unused beer-making supplies this evening- two carboys, a bucket with a spigot, a whole bunch of bottles and other assorted toys. So if he were to decide to do mead, I could be up to my ears in fermenting things!
                      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

I made some mead about 2 months ago... and it tastes like ****!!!
                        I think this is may be due to the clearing agents I put in it, but it does have a very yeasty taste. I used a dry wine yeast, It was all my local home brew shop had. I wanted to use a sherry yeast to punch up the sweetness (and alcohol content).. but hey.. I'm impatient.. what can I say!

I'm going to keep it, just in case in 6 months time it tastes better.

personally, I won't make anything with wild yeasts.. why go to all that bother and expense prepping everything, only to get a foul tasting product from a bad yeast strain!.. I mean what a waste!

my preferred source of natural yeast is sultanas,
                        I use sultana's in my fresh ginger beer, they work great without having to add commercial yeast, I wouldn't waste good ingredients on airborne yeasts, but hey.. that's me.. I guess it adds a certain mystery to it...

My next meade experiment will be a blackberry Melomel, just waiting for summer to come around so I can pick the blackberries!!!
                        Last edited by Mitchamus; 07-19-2009, 09:14 PM. Reason: 10 thumbs
                        -------------------------------------------
                        My 2nd Build:
                        Is here

Comment

Mitch, do give it some time - it may turn out just fine.

I recently uncorked a bottle of now year-old mead, which was a first effort and it is way better now than it was when first made. I still prefer wine or cider but it beats beer in my books! Mine was a honey-orange beginner's recipe that called for bread yeast. It has a nice honey nose to it but I'd prefer not to have citrus in the taste even though it's fairly subdued. Not sure if it's time to tackle a different mead recipe or try making cider instead - neither would work well with pizza but either would be just fine with bread.

Comment

I brew cider at least once a week using a product called OZTOPS (google it) It is so easy. I buy 3L of apple juice and add about 1/2 cup of local honey (to supercharge it) then about 1/4 tsp of all purpose wine yeast put the top on and forget about it for a week. When the fermentation has settled and most of the sweetness has gone simply refrigerate the bottle which tells the yeast to go to sleep and you have a delightful, sparkling alcoholic drink. Better still no bottle washing when its finished use the top again for the next brew.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I'll throw in my 2 cents, since I am an award winning zymurgist. I entered one contest 3 years ago took a first and a second place, very small obscure contest with maybe only 3 entries but I didn't get a third!
                              Conventional wisdom in brewing circles is that you can achieve great results with wild yeast on occasion. Most experienced brewers (cheap) don't care to risk valuable ingredients to a hit or miss process. I make cider every year in the fall. I use White Labs sweet mead yeast as it does not attenuate to highly. The sugars in honey and cider are very fermentable and result in a too dry a beverage thus the need to back sweeten.
                              My cider needs about 4-6 months to smooth out and compares quite well to some of the English ciders like Strongbow. Never add water to any fermenting beverage. Never use a secondary unless you enjoy oxidation and an incomplete fermentation. Let it stay on the yeast until final gravity is achieved. This allows the yeast to clean up undesirable compounds. Never start the ferment at high temps. This produces fusel alcohol (hot tasting) and headaches.
                              Sorry for the rant, but I think most here want more than a good pizza or decent bread. If we're going to expend the time and effort we want to achieve the best we possibly can.

Mark

Comment

Interesting tips - those OzTops sound like they make the smaller, quicker versions dead easy and those reasons for never using a secondary are good to know. I think I'm gearing up to give cider a go since apple season is approaching and I can likely find an orchard nearby to get fresh-pressed, untreated juice. The problem, though, as I understand it, is that there are specific cider apples, very different from the eating & baking apples sold everywhere, and not readily available on this side of the pond. I've heard though that North American home cider makers compensate for this by using a minor percentage of crabapple juice - or perhaps I need to surround my oven with a cider orchard??

Comment

Working...
                                X