What do you do with your ashes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you do with your ashes?

The ice threw most of central Kentucky back to the stone age (yeah, yeah I know... most people don't realize we ever left the stone age ).

We were lucky, only lost power for half a night. Some folks south of Louisville will be powerless for another 2 weeks.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I sometimes use ash in my cat boxes to absorb odor. Works okay but requires a special box or extra prep of a normal box. Cedar shavings are easier.

When I have a place of my own I'm thinking of trying to use them around edging to see if that retards unwanted plant growth. They can work as insulation if kept absolutely dry.

I'm probably gonna end up learning to make soap...
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
        So Frances,
        who has frozen paths anyway?
        We are in to week two of our heat wave, up to 35˚C last week and hanging around the high 30's all this week!!!
        Neill
        you're not kidding Neil... look what I saw the other day...

-------------------------------------------
        My 2nd Build:
        Is here

Comment

Quick update on this thread (which I think should be renamed "Weather around the World")... we've just had a couple of days thaw, and so have been enjoying lots of mud for a change - apparently it'll be back to ice for the weekend though.

Plus we've caught the flu, only two family members so far, but chances are we'll manage to increase our involvement in the current epidemic over the next couple of days.

I'm telling you, I just can't wait for Spring!!!
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

We're now into about two and a half weeks of rain every day. Haven't seen the sun for ages. Someone ran over a crocodile on one of our main roads. Dams all overflowing, local flooding and nearby roads and towns completely cut off. I have an oven I'm building in the carport, it's come to a standstill because the insulation isn't drying out.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
              You can sprinkle it on icy paths instead of salt... apparently. I haven't tried it so far because we prefer to slither around on all the ice.

Careful, This might be worse than salt to track in the house!
              sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

We put the WFO ash on the new orchids just planted in the garden.

72 degrees last week, almonds are blooming, daffodils are up...and snow is really nice to see on the mountain top way off in the distance on a clear day!

Tell me again why people like to live in areas covered with ice and snow? (okay, so it's cold and rainy now but I love to rub it in when it's nice out)

Xabia Jerk
                sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

We live in these horribly cold and unhospitable climes because we can't stand the thought of six months of having nothing better to do than wander around and take pictures of chimneys.
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

As the temps here in Wisconsin go above freezing this week, it's making me very anxious to fire up my oven. I can't wait to get a roof on it so the weather doesn't hold me back so much. I'd gladly move somewhere warmer (as long as I could take the oven with me)!
                    Picasa web album
                    Oven-building thread

Comment

Working...
                    X