X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brokencookie
    replied
    Re: ***Heating The House***

You can find all kinds of handyman fixes and failure pictures on these sites

There, I Fixed It: Epic Kludges + Jury Rigs

FAIL Blog: Epic Fail Pictures and Videos of Owned, Pwnd and Fail Moments

Try not to hurt yourself laughing

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Check out the redneck hot tubs via google

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

I caught hold of that picture years ago on here: it must be pretty popular, "redneck pool heater" popped up pretty quickly as a suggestion when I started typing on google images.

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

P..S.. Dmun and brokencookie,

Where did you find those pics, They are hysterical,, Should re post them in humor. Or can you move them over there david ?

Thanks
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Why not just put in a wood burning stove? Mine works great. It would be easier and a hell of a lot less $$.
    Just trying to make use of what I Had and Would prefer to have something outside the house for safety reasons,, I was a volunteer FF, Rescue Squad and Haz Mat Tech. for over 10 years, I have seen first hand what can happen in a fire that is left un attended, I know most wood stoves now have upgraded their safety levels incredibly, Just would feel better if it was away from the house,,, I hope I will get to it this year,

I found a few other sites with some good info, so I can read up more over there... where they are more familiar with this kind of thing,

As I said I have an almost unlimited wood supply, My money supply is not as good.... So If I can get heat and hot water out of a system, might be a great thing,,,

Mark

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

I think I saw an infomercial on that first pic......they were calling it the Drunken Dumb ASS Burner; or was it the Drunken DUMBass burner?...can't remember which.

Gives new meaning to "chestnuts roasting on an open fire"

RT

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Why not just put in a wood burning stove? Mine works great. It would be easier and a hell of a lot less $$.

Les...
    Last edited by Les; 09-15-2009, 05:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brokencookie
    replied

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
    David,
    First off is the redneck pool heater for real,,
    Mark
    Is this it ?

It probably goes with the Redneck grill in the next picture

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

David,
    First off is the redneck pool heater for real,,, Do I use the oven enough to heat the house ?, No,,, But I think I heat the house enough to use the oven for cooking..Im not trying to be a smart a**.... Just trying to get some more bang for my buck... I have a large amount of free wood available yearly, and my thoughts are if I can heat the house without hurting the oven or maybe build an outdoor fire box/heater it might be worth my while....
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

The English, who often used their Aga and Rayburn cookers as house heaters, had quite a complicated loop system, with an expansion tank, between the in-cooker coil and the room radiator. I think you need to keep the water circulating even when you're not calling for heat. These cookers were kept burning all day and all night: Do you use your oven enough to justify this complicated plumbing system?

Also, don't forget the redneck pool heater:

Anything is possible...

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

This is the kind of Item im looking for, Found on ebay for 149.00,,,, Now its gonna take some time for reading, planning Making sure I dont blow the house up, Etc,,,,

Mark
    Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

1) Use a heat exchange (which is pretty much what you're describing).
    2) Build one of these: The Masonry Heater Association Home Page - Information on masonry heaters, manufacturers, and masonry heater builders (Better yet, get one built. They are tricky)

Leave a comment:

• EADavis
    replied

I heard a rumor at work here that there is a restaurant in Carmel (CA) that had pipes run from their WFO to heat the outside patio. Unfortunately, I did not get the name of the restaurant or contractor who did it. But it sounds doable.
    Ed

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Build a new oven inside.

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    started a topic ***Heating The House***

***Heating The House***

Hi All,
    Was discussing this in another thread, Had I the forethought, I would have put my WFO in the house, or connected, Maybe ?

Question Now is, Has anyone come up with a way to alter a WFO to possibly pump heat into the house over the winter,

My first thought would be a copper pipe system, Insulated of course, to a radiator ? I know there has to be some kind of pressure relief ?

My Thoughts are to put a cast iron radiator/kettle ? in the oven and pipe hot water to the house to another radiator ? I would keep a live fire in the oven I would open the pipes and let the water circulate after the cooking so as to not draw off too much heat from the cooking time...

Maybe just a pipe dream ? But would love to hear some thoughts as I can get wood way cheaper than natural gas.....

Thanks for endulging me.

Mark
    Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 09-14-2009, 05:00 AM.
Working...
X