***Miniature Wood Gasifier***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ***Miniature Wood Gasifier***

It's so nice to know there are other people like me in the world, ROFL. I have been preaching about Retorts, Gasifiers and brick ovens(among MANY other things) for years, and all I usually get are strange looks. Off and on in my spare time I've been working on a design for a waste oil gasifier. It takes too much wood to make my commute, but waste oil is MUCH more energy dense. That has led to some neat "discoveries". This stuff is just way too cool.

Comment

I could link a few of the best ones if you like. Or, if you're on Delicious, I'm Archena there as well.
      thanks arch, you can email them if you would, I appreciate it, ThisOldGarageNJ@Gmail.com and I have no Idea what delicious is ??

It's so nice to know there are other people like me in the world
      shuboyje,,, U are not ALONE..... check out that Stakproperties.com,, they are in michigan,, they got some cool stuff and you will have some company...

Cheers guys,
      Mark

Comment

German V1 unmanned missle planes that were powered by pulse-jet engines and have always wanted to build a small pulse-jet engine just to tinker with it. Perhaps next year, after the oven is complete...
        ken,,, that would be cool.... is that like a solid rocket fuel kinda thing ?? now I have something else to google..
        Cheers
        Mark

Comment

Wood fired rockets?
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
            Wood fired rockets?
            Why Not. The Mythbusters made a nitrous salami rocket and proved it was possible. As long as they don't try to make a pizza fueled rocket
            Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

shuboyje
              waste oil gasifier
              you mean like a used cooking oil/motor oil /diesel kinda thing ??

Comment

WVO, waste vegetable oil. The idea is to try and gasify it so it can be used as an energy dense biomass fuel for gas engines. I've pyrolyzed it in a retort so I could see the characteristics of the "char" it produces and found it has some interesting properties.

Comment

Waste vegetable oil ?? Like used fryer oil ?? Sounds cool..

Comment

Check out the pic the VW is powered completely by woodgas...
                    Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Yup, fryer oil, just like they run in Diesel engines and make into bio diesel. There are a few problems with wood as a fuel. First it has to be prepared properly to avoid "bridging" in the gasifier, which takes energy. On top of that wood is not very energy dense to begin with, and it takes about 20 lbs. of wood gasified to equal a gallon of gas. Finally, you either need a giant hopper, a screw feed of some sort, or the gasifier is gonna be a batch load. Fine for short commutes, but it is not uncommon for me to drive 80+ miles one way to work. WVO on the other hand is energy dense, having about 130,000 btu's per gallon. Gas only has about 125,000. So you would actually need less WVO the gas for the same commute.

Comment

Interesting. Would it go into the vehicle as a gas or a liquid? I assume gas much like vehicles run on LP or methane.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

It would go in as liquid and be gasified on the fly in the car. The suction of the intake stroke of the engine is actually the driving force of most vehicle gasifiers. Without that the gasifier would need a blower which would again cost energy. Plus to store enough as gas you would need to compress it which leads to safety issues, as well as then needing a compressor(using energy).

Comment

Thanks. I knew gas was vaporized on intake. Never been sure how methane was handled getting into the cylinder - my brain fried during the explanation - but I knew it was more complex and had issues w/ compression. I have issues with compressed gas as well (not that kind! )-there's a reason propane tanks ride in the trunk - having one permanently on board kinda gives me the willies.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Wood Burning Truck Travels Coast to Coast | InventorSpot

This is a guy working with Auburn University.
                              Columbiana, Alabama WFO Build.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/o...bama-7837.html

Comment

great site, thanks metalhead....

Comment

Working...
                                X