What did Santa bring you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What did Santa bring you?

Actually there is some kind of method to this madness.

I recon that if I ever get stranded on a desert island, or civilisation as we know it collapses, or something like that , I will be very well equipped to deal with it. I now know how to build and cook in a WFO, I could spin and weave my own clothes, know which weeds are eidible (danelions and such) and I could even brew my own mead. Slaughtering and butchering of animals I would probably want to outsource though...
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
      ok ok... i had to go upstairs and get the books...

Build your own earth oven by kiko denzer and hannah field
      and
      Wood fired cooking by Mary Karlin

I'll give you an Idea of whats going on with them over the long weekend. havent done more than leafed thru them yet..

Cheers
      Mark

Cool! I have the Denzer book - it's a must for cob builders but I'm not familiar with the Karlin book.

Pushy? Moi? Click image for larger version

Name:	innocent.gif
Views:	4
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	278995
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
        Actually there is some kind of method to this madness.

I recon that if I ever get stranded on a desert island, or civilisation as we know it collapses, or something like that , I will be very well equipped to deal with it. I now know how to build and cook in a WFO, I could spin and weave my own clothes, know which weeds are eidible (danelions and such) and I could even brew my own mead. Slaughtering and butchering of animals I would probably want to outsource though...
        I'll handle fishing - somebody else is handling the livestock.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Well, Frances, if it comes to that, bring Wilson (and me!) along- we have butchered many a deer in the kitchen. I don't do the slaughtering part- that's up to Wilson.

I don't spin, but I knit pretty well. I have all this dog hair bagged up from my beloved departed Norwegian Elkhound I'd love to learn to spin into yarn!

I can see it now- we'll all be living in mosaic'd dome houses, each with it's own wfo, eating sourdough and venison and wearing hand-knit socks (I'm really good at those, you see) and drinking homemade mead and beer (Wilson's gotten really good at that). Now we need to bring on board someone who can make good wine and cheese.....
          Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Elizabeth,
            A heads up on the dog hair knitting project. One of our daughters saved up years and years of her collie's hair. Literally bags and bags full of dog brushings. My wife, as a gift to our daughter, swapped with a spinner to have the hair carded and spun into yarn. Then, as this yarn proved to be fairly weak, she added an additional thread with the yarn and knitted a beautiful sweater and matching hat.

And now for the pros, the sweater is beautiful and extremely warm, hot even. And surprisingly not prickly (unlike camel hair, which feels soft to hand but is torture to wear as clothing).

The downside: inspite of washing before and after and even dry cleaning, whenever the sweater gets wet or even damp it smells of wet dog. And it is so warm that one's own prespiration causes the smell. And I mean a "head turning" strength smell. The hat and sweater stay in a double plastic bag in a trunk.

Now I love dogs, and have two at present, but this sweater is intolerable. Your Elkhound's hair might have different characteristics regarding strength and smell than this collie's hair; but you might consider knitting a small sampler before committing to a large project.

Bests,
            Wiley

Comment

Ah. I don't think I have enough fur saved up to do anything more than a nice scarf. Thank goodness. My house smells enough like dog already without wearing the smell as a sweater! The current crew of culprits (who don't shed the right kind of hair to spin, unfortunately. too short)
              Last edited by egalecki; 01-01-2010, 01:07 PM.
              Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Neil...
                Surely a person with a workshop like yours can find something special that will fit that spare niche in your garage. Than tool that you just might use one day or the other one that you've been wanting for ages.
                Went to harbor freight today.. Got me a Mig welder,, You were right, Something that I have wanted for ages.. it was also on sale and I had a 20% off coupon, so I got all the accesories.. So tomorrow after a bunch of reading and some youtube videos on welding I will try it out

Cheers
                Mark

Comment

Think handbag. Dog Hair Handbags - Catty Shack Creations

[/CENTER]

Comment

Mark,
                    are you planning on using it gasless or hiring the argon bottles?
                    I tried the flux coated wire and found it to be terrible. It defeats the basic principle of flux free smooth welding and not much better if at all than stick welding.
                    By all means try it, be prepared for a hell of a shock on the price of the wire and I think you will agree that the gas is the way to go.
                    Unfortunately, if you want to weld stainless or even aluminium, (which is a bit messy using Mig when compared to Tig), you need different gases and then it really becomes doubly expensive. I still stainless weld with a stick and stainless rods but you need to passivate the welds to stop them from rusting, but occassionally use the Mig on really light stainless sheet, only painting the welds.
                    Anyway, enjoy the new toy, watch out for the duty cycle time, (I'd hate to see you cook it early), you will sort it all out over time.

Neill
                    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                    Neill’s kitchen underway
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

are you planning on using it gasless or hiring the argon bottles?
                      Hey neil.. They claim you dont need the bottles with the flux coated wire, I bought this more as a learning tool, for the price, I figured I could get some practice before I invested in a "Lincoln or Miller" Unit.. (they are the big names here) I may set it up today with some scrap and just try to get the feel of it... I think by the summmer I can buy a "real" welder after I gain some experience

Thanks
                      Mark

Comment

You know, after writing that last post I thought that if we all landed on the same deserted island or all got taken back to the stone age together - we'd rebuild civilisation in no time! Heck, with all the skills we combine here, we'd probably make something a whole lot better while we were at it!

About spinning dog hair, I think the trick is mixing it with quite a lot of regular wool - apparently you can mix in quite short hair then, too, and the smell is less of a problem. If you like Elizabeth, I can recommend you a really good beginner's book on spinning - then you buy a couple of small bits of wood from the DIY and away you go!

Like this.... its fun!
                        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

Comment

Not wishing to turn this too dark, but I came across this little article and it gives a less optimistic outlook should things go poorly:

FT.com / Comment / Opinion - Call this a recession? At least it isn?t the Dark Ages

Bests,
                          Wiley

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	brood.gif
Views:	8
Size:	365 Bytes
ID:	279021

Way to spoil the delusion, there, Wiley.

(Actually, thanks for the article - medieval history is an interest of mine! )

[/CENTER]

Comment

Yes Archena, but that is the one thing that we today cannot change!
                              Only learn from our mistakes or the mistakes from the past.

Neill
                              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                              Neill’s kitchen underway
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Great article! Fascinating.

In a way that's just what I'm talking about - if anything like that came to pass, people with actual practical skills would be in a far better position than people who buy everything they own or use in a shop. The knowledge of how to make something from scratch would become very valuable. And we have a lot of very capable and talented people on the forum.

Of course we're spread out all over the world, and we'd no longer be able to comunicate... but apart from that (very minor and irrelevant) little fact, we'd probably do quite well.

That's why I like the idea of clay ovens so much, cos sourcing firebrick and insulation blankets could become a tad difficult.

Talking of which I read this aricle about solar flares recently (in German unfortunately, or I'd post the link) where they said we're due for a big one any moment now (in the next couple of decades) and when it comes it may well fizzle out every single electronic connection we have worldwide... could be interesting.

Wooohooo, doom and gloom! Happy New Year everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X