Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: angled flight deck

plain ole sack crete

But note that the aggregate size and color may vary from batch to batch. The manufactures likely get their aggregate for various sources. Therefore if you find a bag with the type of stone you like, try to buy several bags from the same batch.

As for the rebar, you don't need a lot since the top is not likely to span any distance or support a lot of weight. It is primarily there for crack control and you could probably use WWF (welded wire fabric) instead.

Since mine spans a couple of feet and is cantilevered, I used rebar.

I used 3/8 inch rebar at mid depth to maximize the concrete cover in the thin 1 1/2 inch thick countertop. (It is getting harder to find but if you can get any 1/4 inch rebar this would be even better.) Mine are placed on 8 inch centers running the length of the counter = 3 bars, or about 1% of the end area. I hook or bend the ends. There is not enough depth to effectively fit in any overlaps. I then tied some WWF to the rebar and hooked or bent all the ends of the WWF.
    Last edited by Neil2; 08-11-2012, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Here is a brief video showing the operation of the "angle flight deck."

This is a new (to me) camera so my apologies for the quality.

Pizza Neil2 - YouTube

Comment

Great video Neil - a professional cameraman in the making - and the food looks fantastic. The oven has a modern functional architecture and the angled deck fits that perfectly.

I took your advice and made a test piece. I used some sand and portland I had left over. It's 12" by 10" by1.5". I poured it in a melamine form with sharp sand, normal portland in the bottom 3/4" and the top half is white sand, white portland. I "seeded" both sides with crushed blue and green glass (I crushed it in a plastic bag with a lump hammer). I wasn't too happy with the bottom half - but I am pleased and more importantly the "commander in chief" is pleased with the white sand effect. I also put some black stone chips in (no idea what kind of stone - just found some smooth black pebbles on a beach and crushed them also). I used some metal lath for reinforcing - not that the piece really needed any - but I will put some on the counter proper.

Because I seeded the glass on the floor before pouring, and then sprinkling it on the surface after the top part was poured - I have none on the edges. This is OK on the test piece but I have to figure how to do it on site.
        Suggestions welcome on this point

I won't have the utility of yours as my counter will be a full firebrick below the floor - but maybe with decent oven glove I can mansage that transition without burning my fingers too badly.

This is after 800 grit of ultra cheap ($20.99 delivered) 4" grinding disks using my Lidl cheapo 5" angle grinder (which btw does have a variable speed setting - which I hadn't noticed before). The glass isn't spread very evenly - that is easier to do on the floor than on the wet surface - so I have to work out some technique to get that better.

So far I haven't used anything other than water and the sand/cement/aggregates but should I go with acrylic fortifier instead as some people recommend.
        Last edited by Amac; 08-17-2012, 09:05 AM.
        Amac
        Link to my WFO build

Comment

Looks good Amac -a professional countertop artist in the making. My first tries were pretty much a disaster.

There are two basic techniques for concrete counter tops; "face up" or "face down".

"Face up", which I used, is probably best for the exposed/cut aggregate finish I wanted.

For embedded glass, you may want to consider the "face down" technique with the slab turned over and finished on the one side only. This is the technique fu tung cheng uses (his videos are excellent).

For the edges, one of these might help:
          Last edited by Neil2; 08-17-2012, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Brilliant looking tops - really making me re-consider my counter top ideas in favour of concrete - and that's before considering acid stains

how do you use one of those edging tools on either a curve or an internal angle? Of do you just leave it and grind / sand away after the 'crete is dry?

When you're talking about grinding away can I use an existing sander with the same grades of cutting material?

Thanks

Miles

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
              Here is a brief video showing the operation of the "angle flight deck."

This is a new (to me) camera so my apologies for the quality.

Pizza Neil2 - YouTube
              Video was great, thanks for posting. Counter top looks really useful. Still gathering ideas for our oven and appreciate all the detail you've provided. Might have to try a stepping stone or two to see how they come out.

Comment

Working...
              X