• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Concrete slab question

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
    Wood storage and spider habitat.
    Um, isn't that redundant?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

I filled and compacted that small triangular area with dirt, layed some rebars, and poured concrete today. It took about nine-90 lb bags of concrete mix to fill that 16 sq/ft area 4-5 inches deep and used my new mixer for the first time. What a time saver, that little mixer mixed 3 bags at a time, and I was able to pour concrete directly from the mixer like a wheelbarrow.

George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

looks good......

Comment

Like the mixer.
          Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Thanks, I'm glad I got that particular mixer. I can easily maneuver the thing even with almost 300 lbs of concrete in it.

I'm having serious second thoughts about suspending the slabs in the other two areas. A few people have advised me against doing this due to safety issues and also the added cost of materials, especially all the additional rebars required to reinforce the slabs if suspended.
            Perhaps I should just order a truckload of fill and get this area over and done with so I can move on to next area.
            George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

keep picking up those 15$ pallets at home depot ......

Comment

almost forgot... You can cut up the giant bathtub thing and throw it in there too !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                  keep picking up those 15$ pallets at home depot ......
                  I'll be there first thing tomorrow morning......

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                  almost forgot... You can cut up the giant bathtub thing and throw it in there too !!!!!
                  I might just take an angle grinder to it this week and do that. I don't think I can get rid of it any other way...
                  George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

is it made of metal or fiberglass ??

Comment

I thought that thing was supposed to become a storage shed?
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                      [/CENTER]

Comment

It's fiberglass, well at least on the inner and outer surfaces, but who knows, it can have some metal reinforcement on the bottom half where it is thicker and double walled.
                        George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
                          I thought that thing was supposed to become a storage shed?
                          I threw that idea out. That thing is too heavy to move. I would need a crane or hire 10 guys from Home Depot to help me move it but that can be costly.
                          George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

go with the grinder with a metal blade.... DUST MASK for sure...

Comment

I'm having serious second thoughts about suspending the slabs in the other two areas. A few people have advised me against doing this due to safety issues and also the added cost of materials, especially all the additional rebars required to reinforce the slabs if suspended.
                              here is a pic of a commercial suspended slab,, im sure you could do something similar with either microlams or PT lumber,, Maybe,,(beating a dead horse) you can cut the hot tub into sections to fit the area you have to fill and use it for a bottom form,, as long as you support it well and maybe throw a few block supports here and there you would be okay..

Just trying to help...

Mark
                              Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks Mark!

I will be suspending the triangular area and see how that goes, labor, time, and material wise.
                                Yesterday, I framed the interior perimeter of the block walls with PT 2x6's (I've got too many of them laying around everywhere as you know) and secured them with Tapcons. I also erected a single column of blocks, anchored in concrete footing, in the middle of the triangle.
                                I will add several 2x6 cross braces and then top that whole area with plywood. I will post photos tomorrow.

George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Working...
                                X