Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NY Pizza

Dutch,

I'm with you on water quality, and I've certainly tasted NYC water, pizza and bagels; all very fine indeed. I get my bread baking water from a very deep drilled well. It's in a friend's house, and the house sits on what must be miles deep sand and gravel deposited by glaciers at the retreat of the last ice age. The water is very soft, with what seems to be quite a few trace minerals, not one of which is overbearing to the taste. This water, in short, has personality.

One of the first things I do in my bread baking workshops is to line up three glasses of water: one tap, one filtered and one well. Even in a blind taste test, the participants always single out the well water as the best of the three. This will make a subtle but noticable difference in the finished product in much the same way that good salt and good fresh flour will.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

New York pizza is about so much more than just food. It's a statement, a sacrament, a defining element of the local and urban experience. And it's not like that anywhere else. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/06/ny...html?th&emc=th
      Un amico degli amici.

Comment

Hey Alfredo -- best of luck to Johnny's. I think the best response is "friends don't let friends drink coffee at Starbucks."

Back to the water. We are now on a municipal system with a huge amount of clorine. You can't make anything -- bread, espresso, risotto, tea, etc. It's brutal.

We are using a Brita for now. Does that do it? What else would you do for good water on a bad city water system?

Help.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Dutchoven is right - if you let it set out the chlorine will dissipate. Run it through the Brita for good measure...
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

This water is tough. The fizzy chlorine bubbles dissipate, and the water goes clear, but the flavor definitely stays. Our dog doesn't even like it!

We have someone coming out with some whole-house filter ideas.

James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I have been using a reverse osmosis system with success. I even ran a line out to the garage, installed a second holding tank, and feed the frig & ice maker out there.

J W

Comment

The water here in Colorado is great! Want me to send you a few 2 liters?

Ryan

Comment

Do you have a well Ryan? I have hard municipal water with Chlormine in it...does not disperse with time...tough on a guys bread and on my pond...

Drake
                  My Oven Thread:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Working...
                  X